HELP!! 12V guru in SW MO

798 JMan

Hey guys, I just got done changing an engine in a truck. I have no history of either motor but the "97 old motor" had a busted block so my grandpa bought one from a guy thats a 95. I switched the pumps because the 175 pump had a busted governer housing and I would rather have a 215 anyways. SO...I started it yesterday and it sounds funny. Has a lope to it and need help why. I also dont remember where some sensors and grounds went. I really need someones help. Thanks guys, Jake.

12V the sensors have no effect on the running of the engine. What did you time the pump at?

You should post questions like this in the Tech section, not the Competition and Performance section.

Sensors: I cant find where a couple connections from the harness go.
Running/Timing: I dont have a timing kit so I have no clue on where it is. Before I swapped the pumps I pulled the timing cover off of both and lined the crank and cam gears to TDC and and then R&R'd the pumps. I have noticed that return line for the injectors is missing the keepers on 3 of them. Will that make it lope? Thanks for the help.

I posted this in the performance section so people can tell me if its modded with injectors or timing or if I messed up.

I am gonna say you need to start with the timing and verifying where it is at.

and do you know someone close that can help me with that? The Cummins shop in Joplin kinda got blown away!

If you weren't so far away, I would come down there and time it.

You should just buy the timing tool from puredieselpower.com I have used it a couple times and it works well. its 150 it would be cheaper than takin it to a shop. Its not a bad investment to have incase you ever want to play with your timing once you get the hang of it.
http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1994/18-10-94a.htm This is the step by step on how to time it.

If your wanting to take it somewhere and get it worked on, try Swartz tractor outside of Neosho.

Ok. I'll try Swartz. My cousin took a truck down to Cassville to diagnose a bad injector and he said the shop had 3 pulling trucks there but thats a little far. Thanks for the help guys.

Alright guys. . . I found a problem. BIG problem.I started the truck today and started checking in to the hissing which I thought was the manifold. Wrong!!! #5 injector was blowing air so I decided to pull them all and put the 215's in it. Three bolts on the return rail were loose and missing the gaskets. Started taking out the injectors and got to #5 and the frickin nut was loose!!! Pullled the injectors and only 2 were kinda tough to get out. Got them out and noticed that 2 had thin washers, 1 thick, 1 thick and thin, and 2 without!!! Is there a reason or did a moron own the engine and try to **** me???

Lol he was probably just a goober bud.. I would just order a new set of horseshoe washers and a new set of injector washers there are 3 different sizes. You can get them from the dealership or online. There is rubber washers that seal dirt from falling in your injector nut you can get those two if you like. I replaced mine and they have lasted after me pulling them out several times. I played with the different washer thickness in mine because I have the marine injectors and I was trying to see if I could get the nozzle further down to get it to spray in the bowl but it didnt make any noticeable difference I have the thin ones in right now and it is still spraying way outside of the bowl. But yea just get some new washers and clean it out your injector holes real good so you get a good seal. You should be fine though I dont see that hurting anything just probably not running very good.. did you leak a lot of fuel?

Can I reuse the horseshoe washer and injector washers from the 97 engine??? Are we talking dodge dealership or Cummins dealer? I understand the difference in them. I have marine injectors in my other 97. I leaked a little fuel on the initial startup after installing the donor motor. Thank you for your help.

I would just go get some new ones and either one should have them dodge or cummins. You dont have to get new ones but I would at least start over with a set that you know for sure are good. you want all the washers to be the same thickness.

I wouldnt want to get gas in my oil I would just use a wire brush like they use to clean gun barrels and find one that fits in there and clean it with something like that I just wouldnt wanna spray nothing down there maybe some brakleen but not much at all. It doesnt really help spraying anything down there cus it will just get washed into your combustion chamber. just use your head bro

you gotta make sure to clean the holes they go in to as well.. the injectors will be just as dirty in ten minutes. But I used PB blaster I just soaked mine in that and then took each one apart and cleaned it then put it back together.

I win!!!! The truck runs beautifully!!! The injectors that I took out are newer than 200k miles. The nozzles have 6815 etched into them. Stock injectors. No carbon buildup to speak of. Very clean and the top of the bodies were painted white or cream. I dont know but I think they are worth checking into. Now to diagnose why my tach isnt working and hooking up my monster pyro and . . . figure why my radio is blowing a fuse. OH, the solenoids under the battery tray; do the little side wires have to be hooked up?