Homemade flywheel

Sad part is, u don't think he is the only one copying things? He has said he isn't reselling them on the site. He just has the gumption to show he is doing it.

Should have read the gumption to show he is making them.

I like these threads. If I had the tooling to build these parts I would too! Why not? Because someone else markets a similar product? Thats not a new idea...

Right on man keep em coming

I've made more steel one-off tractor flywheels than I'd care to admit, the front side all looks similar to this one. I'd like to know how someone is supposed to re-invent the design of the front side of the front side of a flywheel.

No doubt, there is not much that isn't copied from some original. There is only so many ways to make some things. I DO NOT personally know this guy, nor does he know me, but I will say that I contacted him some time ago to try to purchase some of his parts, and the answer was "NOT FOR SALE"! Very nice guy and will answer any questions you might have, but he will not sell any of these parts. The answer I got privately was that he makes multiples of everything he builds for his own consumption. Guess I sound like a RENOPKER cheerleader, but his parts are not for sale for any amount of money. And from visiting with him, he may well have designed some of the parts that some claim he's copying!

Renopker, you're one talented machinist, rock-on!

Why buy something when you can make one yourself? I know I would be playing with stuff like this all the time if I had the machining tools. I don't see anything wrong with what he is doing. It is no big surprise that people have been copying cams and many other parts for longer than I have been alive.

Considering everything is a copy in one way or another. Just modded and reworked to the current users desire. Otherwise we all would be running stock stuff.

People are seriously *****ing about this? None of you have any music copies do you.......

great skills keep up the good work. What do you do with your truck

Very simple lathe part and if you have the capability to cut the gear it would be something to do if your shop is slow. I've never priced one from Peter, but i bet you can buy one for less than you can make a single piece for. What material are you using and what SFM are you cutting at?

The plates hot roll, the blank starts out 16"x2" 140# cost around $70. I ran it 140 rpm.I will do the front on the cnc do to the chuck and the offset.Remember I'm not making a stepped FW but using stands. The reason for the larger dia. thanks

I like these threads. If I had the tooling to build these parts I would too! Why not? Because someone else markets a similar product? Thats not a new idea...

Right on man keep em coming

People are seriously *****ing about this? None of you have any music copies do you.......

This^

I always like watching your make things Renopker.

Fact is, everything has already been done. So no matter what he makes by himself in his shop, someone else has already done it.

If you go out build a bumper, or a barn, or a trailer, no one gets on your ass for copying someone elses chit do they? Just because someone built something that works doesn't mean he's the only one that can ever make that piece. You guys should be glad he's showing what he's doing and how, and pray he sells what he makes, because I'm sure it will be cheaper than buying it from anywhere else. And what happened to the days when it was cool to build your own chit?

Last edited:
Fact is, everything has already been done. So no matter what he makes by himself in his shop, someone else has already done it.

If you go out build a bumper, or a barn, or a trailer, no one gets on your ass for copying someone elses chit do they? Just because someone built something that works doesn't mean he's the only one that can ever make that piece. You guys should be glad he's showing what he's doing and how, and pray he sells what he makes, because I'm sure it will be cheaper than buying it from anywhere else. And what happened to the days when it was cool to build your own chit?

I don't know how this is done. If he does his own design/development that is one thing.

If someone just takes someone elses parts puts them in a CMM and copies them and sells them for the same price or cheaper is another. Pretty easy to sell cheaper when you don't have to design it.

Last edited:
I don't know how this is done. If he does his own design/development that is one thing.

If someone just takes someone elses parts puts them in a CMM and copies them and sells them for the same price or cheaper is another. Pretty easy to sell cheaper when you don't have to design it.

Good point

This particular flywheel is specifically for the G56 transmission and is not a standard part as suggested by a few here. Back in 2005 I worked with Chrysler's test trucks and had a transmission shipped to Blumenthal's out of Oklahoma as well as the DMF clutch system. Flew there and tore down the transmission to see if it would support and solid flywheel clutch package. Used the OE clutch to get all the dimensions and went to work. Had to figure the heights, ring gear locations tapers and spline location as well as brg. locations. Did all the testing and then got production on its way. Said and done, probable spent close to $100,000 to get the ball rolling.

renopker, you mentioned using stands instead of stepped so you could put a 13" clutch on? Ours is stepped and is 13" go figure. As far as building and selling clutches, I have no problem with that. Good luck but for gods sake at least be honest. No one buys 30 blanks for themselves. As BigPapa showed in the quotes, you have full intent. I'm just saying, if you are going to use these forums then step up and pay to be a vendor.

Peter

Peter,
When he says he's going to use stands, what is the problem? The way I understand it, the stands are a totally different setup than your pocket design.

Renopker, I say keep building your own parts; just don't copy them. Peter claimed KennysMachine had "Walmarted" his clutch a couple years ago :umno: