Homemade flywheel

This particular flywheel is specifically for the G56 transmission and is not a standard part as suggested by a few here. Back in 2005 I worked with Chrysler's test trucks and had a transmission shipped to Blumenthal's out of Oklahoma as well as the DMF clutch system. Flew there and tore down the transmission to see if it would support and solid flywheel clutch package. Used the OE clutch to get all the dimensions and went to work. Had to figure the heights, ring gear locations tapers and spline location as well as brg. locations. Did all the testing and then got production on its way. Said and done, probable spent close to $100,000 to get the ball rolling.

renopker, you mentioned using stands instead of stepped so you could put a 13" clutch on? Ours is stepped and is 13" go figure. As far as building and selling clutches, I have no problem with that. Good luck but for gods sake at least be honest. No one buys 30 blanks for themselves. As BigPapa showed in the quotes, you have full intent. I'm just saying, if you are going to use these forums then step up and pay to be a vendor.

Peter

With the 13" PP mounted on steps yes,but good luck putting it on stands,the bolts (and I run them from the back of the FW )wont clear the 152t ring gear thats the reason for the larger dia FW and 159t ring gear in doing that I move the starter pocket over.I used a starter , adepter plate g56 empty case (that I bought from a forum member on here) throwout bearing and fork. The disc's I'm using are from company that name starts with A. I will be posting pics of the rest of the clutch build and the mock up next week If any body cares.I don't see how you can call what I'm doing your design unless you feel that what ever happens in the g56 bell is yours. I forgot to add the reason for all the blanks is they get used for other clutchs not cummins,my point was to show I am not just starting out as you stated "every body has to start somewere"

Last edited:
With the 13" PP mounted on steps yes,but good luck putting it on stands,the bolts (and I run them from the back of the FW )wont clear the 152t ring gear thats the reason for the larger dia FW and 159t ring gear in doing that I move the starter pocket over.I used a starter , adepter plate g56 empty case (that I bought from a forum member on here) throwout bearing and fork. The disc's I'm using are from company that name starts with A. I will be posting pics of the rest of the clutch build and the mock up next week If any body cares.I don't see how you can call what I'm doing your design unless you feel that what ever happens in the g56 bell is yours. I forgot to add the reason for all the blanks is they get used for other clutchs not cummins,my point was to show I am not just starting out as you stated "every body has to start somewere"

I care. I wanna see. :pop:

Heres the case I used for a pattern
DSC00030a.jpg

Fly wheel heat shield
DSC00034a.jpg

Disc1 & 2 with reversed hub and bored hub
DSC00007-7.jpg

DSC00006-5.jpg

Last edited:
I would rather make it than buy a cheap Chinese knock off. Keep up the skills and pass them down to the next generation.

So it's an inset flywheel then? Sweet. Never have to resurface it that way!

I soooo wish I had a DRO and rotary table on my mill.. Man, I think I could do this if I did! You man are my hero!!

And Peter, don't sweat man, even if he DID sell some of these "under the table" to members here, it wouldn't even be a noticeable dent in your sales. You guys rock, as the clutch in my Cummins powered Oliver is a testament of! (Yah, now you know who I am! ;)

Nice work renopker. I'm a machinist/welder/fabricator myself and can appreciate all the design work and prototyping that it takes to make a finished part, even if you have the equipment. It takes insight and talent to make a functional part that is durable, performs at the intended power level and cycle interval, and is also serviceable by the end user. All this, while allowing it to interface with all the other existing parts that are in the machine. Well done. keep it up!

Nice job Renopker, I reckon its a good thing most people can't build their own,they wouldnt need companys like us. lol

I like how you're holding the floater to the flywheel. I'd be interested to know how much or little noise it makes.

Nice job Renopker, I reckon its a good thing most people can't build their own,they wouldnt need companys like us. lol

For the masses, you cant beat the product you guys turn out Dan. Along with the service!:rockwoot:

no kidding i am looking to see what kind of noiise that thing makes/doesnt

should sound like the EEP clutch i used to have, nice and noisey, but i liked it.