Homemade or Custom cut-off intake/port and polish job.

oldsmokey97

since my engine is down... i have been thinkin about cuttin my intake off and going porting/polishing my head.
I was just wondering how many of yall have does this your self and if so... let me see some pics and directions on exactly how much to take off of the head. Also wondering how many of yall have made a homemade plenum versus buying one from ZZ fab.

Lance

wes.. that has already been done by zack when i bought the head. I am lookin to port the intake plenum runners. This is the MAIN problem with these heads.

Anyone got pics of homemade port/polish jobs along with aftermarket/homemade plenums?

Lance

http://www.extrudehone.com/auto/

No need to remove the plenum with this method.. Just a thought.... Would be interesting to find out how much it would cost..

Wes.. you still have to remove the plenum to do the rough porting work. then one would send it to extrudehone to get it smoothed out.

I am looking for HOMEMADE jobs.

COme on yall.............. i know there is someone out there that took matters into their own hands.

Lance

the extrude honing is $$$, i called a few months ago. IIRC it was way north of 1k for a cummins head

Here is the one I built, on my second one now.

DSC00910.jpg

DSC00912.jpg

DSC00914.jpg

DSC00945.jpg

DSC00947.jpg

DSC00916.jpg

I dont know yet, Still getting them done. It has to help thou. I can make them fairly cheap too so that is a big benifit to me.

the extrude honing is $$$, i called a few months ago. IIRC it was way north of 1k for a cummins head

True , it's around 1034.00 less shipping and thats 160 bucks too.

IMO well worth it after a good port job is done .

I have had a couple of 12 and 24 valvers done .

True , it's around 1034.00 less shipping and thats 160 bucks too.

IMO well worth it after a good port job is done .

I have had a couple of 12 and 24 valvers done .

Doing the extrude method, do you need to cut the plenum off? This price would not be to bad, if you didnt have to buy a 1500 dollar plenum.. Did you like the results, and do they flow match them?

Doing the extrude method, do you need to cut the plenum off? This price would not be to bad, if you didnt have to buy a 1500 dollar plenum.. Did you like the results, and do they flow match them?

NO , but the idea of cutting the intake off is to let the cylinders breath easier on a 24v.

And there are other people that make the plenums for 800.00 to 900.00 .

So instead of porting and extrude honing wouldnt it be a better idea to invest that extra $1k towards a really good porter?

get ahold off bruce block talk to him probably not super cheap but he cut his intake off and had is head ported on his 04.5 common rail. and made a billet intake I believe he is still working on putting and making things for his truck for when he puts it back together.

My 12v head was done by MAXTORQ. EGT's are super low and drive pressure is not an issue. Dont even need big boost to make hp either.

does anyone have pictures of before and after porting the intake after removing the plenum. I am just curious as to how much one should take off.

Lance

does anyone have pictures of before and after porting the intake after removing the plenum. I am just curious as to how much one should take off.

Lance

x2:rockwoot: After I finish this side I need to get one of Hogues manifolds on the other side of the head. They are damn pretty!