Homemade or Custom cut-off intake/port and polish job.

You gonna weld the intake plenum back on or go with a custom intake? Nice work. You use a plasma torch or saw?

as asked before by me..... is there anything important to watch out for while porting on it?? Just dont wanna have a 150lb $800 paper weight.

Lance

if you have to ask that, id advise just polish the head. or get a junk head to practice on.

no need to be a smart A$$ now..... i am simply askin a question for those who have done it before if they have accidentally messed up on something before or not. And if soo... what are some of the things to look out for.

this is why these forums are here is to ask people questions about some advice on certain things.

Lance

I have a few cracked 24v heads and old an VE head just collecting rust. Its only scrap at this point. If I can find the thin spots before I use a good head. The intake side is the weak side of the engine. You can get tons of fuel inside the engine, but can you get enough air so you can get proper combustion. I also want to put in NOS injection ports into each intake port.:Cheer:

To answer the question on manifold. I used a 7" grinder with a speedy cut disk. You can do it with a 4", but a 7" will let you get closer to the head and cut faster. I am going to install an aftermarket manifold. Welding the stock one back on will just inhibit the flow to to 1 and 6. As for how much material to remove. I didn't get that crazy. You can gain a bunch of flow by just smoothing out all of the casting flaws. The valve bowls are where you can gain a bunch. There are lots of sharp edges, bumps and ridges. Just blend them out and don't get too close to the seats and you will be fine. I don't have any experience with the 12 valve head, so this info only applies to the 24 valve.

HTH
Max

i wasnt being a smart ass, im dead serious.....

Thats alright man..... its just when someone comes across to me even slightly implying that i cant or shouldnt do something I WILL and i will just to proove someone else wrong.

Sorry if i came across the wrong way but i dont like anyone trying to say i shouldnt or cant do something.

Lance

Anyways........ i know i have asked this many times already and really hate to burn it out but... Yall mean out of all of the homemade ported/polished heads out there in this country that only one or two of yall have taken pics...???

come on now

Lance

Thats alright man..... its just when someone comes across to me even slightly implying that i cant or shouldnt do something I WILL and i will just to proove someone else wrong.

Sorry if i came across the wrong way but i dont like anyone trying to say i shouldnt or cant do something.

Lance

you're a dumbass. i never said you shouldnt or cant do it, just advised trying on a junk head to get the feel for it. but go ahead port away, maybe itll come out great, or maybe in 5000 miles you hydrolock your motor because you got to close to a water jacket. :shake:

Ok here are a few. Marks for intake removal:
DSCN0765.jpg

DSCN0764.jpg

After milling the intake flat:
DSCN0773.jpg

A shot of an intake valve bowl:
IMG_0003.jpg

After working the bowls over:
IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

Some shots of the poor casting in the intake runners:
IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

Afterwords:
IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

I need to take some shots on the exhaust side to post. I will try in the next few days......

Ok here are a few. Marks for intake removal:
DSCN0765.jpg

DSCN0764.jpg

After milling the intake flat:
DSCN0773.jpg

A shot of an intake valve bowl:
IMG_0003.jpg

After working the bowls over:
IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

Some shots of the poor casting in the intake runners:
IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

Afterwords:
IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

I need to take some shots on the exhaust side to post. I will try in the next few days......

Thank you. This is what i was asking for.

A lot more people than me can benifit from this info.

Lance

you're a dumbass. i never said you shouldnt or cant do it, just advised trying on a junk head to get the feel for it. but go ahead port away, maybe itll come out great, or maybe in 5000 miles you hydrolock your motor because you got to close to a water jacket. :shake:

To have the audacity and call Lance a dumbass for trying to learn... With your skills yes YOU may port into a water jacket.... Nice work btw....:hehe: With all the experience you have porting Cummins heads, why dont you post up some more of your hacking.. If not shut your dumbass up..

Attachments

• SD530791.jpg
    SD530791.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 69
To have the audacity and call Lance a dumbass for trying to learn... With your skills yes YOU may port into a water jacket.... Nice work btw....:hehe: With all the experience you have porting Cummins heads, why dont you post up some more of your hacking.. If not shut your dumbass up..

He is a dumbass, just ask him about how he daily drives his dodge without an intercooler :hehe: By the way Rollin coal, I'll be waiting for you at Lebannon Valley this Sat. I can't wait to put the smack down on your azz. I'm sure you won't show up though....lol All talk no action!

kinda pointless if you polish it before you port it......

MLR, thanks for the pics and the ideas. How did you build the head stands? What turbine inlet flange you using on the exhaust manifold?

How are you planning on getting the intake manifold to seal-up with 100psi of boost? I thought about using orings around the ports.

Keep the pics coming for us to drool on buddy.:bang

kinda pointless if you polish it before you port it......

Kinda pointless to get on here and say O hey guys I got some porting done on my exhaust manifold.. Then post pics and have pple rag your ass about how crappy it looks then you say errr duhh I have not polished i yet... Like I said if you don't have any tech to add to the thread then shutup..

all i said was to get a junk head to practice on. IMO thats not bad advise.

Not bad advice at all, but it was not what he was asking for.. Tech and advice are two different things.. I still see no reason to call someone a dumbass for asking... Lets get this thread back on track..

10-4 on that, and oldsmokey, sorry about that.

i got a question that will add to the knowledge. obviously these heads get more involved than a standard porting job due to cutting the intake off. How many bolts are needed to insure a good seal, and should the gasket be made from? Would a copper gasket get crushed enough being that the bolts are fairly small?