Homemade or Custom cut-off intake/port and polish job.

12 v before

Picture088-2.jpg

After a mild port and Extrude hone.

Picture096-3.jpg

Picture095-2.jpg

Max what is a round about price for a job like that?? You can Pm me if you want..

since my engine is down... i have been thinkin about cuttin my intake off and going porting/polishing my head.
I was just wondering how many of yall have does this your self and if so... let me see some pics and directions on exactly how much to take off of the head. Also wondering how many of yall have made a homemade plenum versus buying one from ZZ fab.

Lance

I didnt' do a whole lot of porting since this is my first one but I did a lot of polishing. When cutting the intake off try to get as close to the injector line threads as you can. Make your intake first then mark and drill your holes. We made ours ourself and I figure I saved about 2k all together.
100_1391.jpg

100_1396.jpg

100_1407.jpg

but.. how much is enough.
I dont wanna be dang near done with it and all of a sudden go off into a water jacket or oil galley.
What are the main things to watch for when porting the intake yourself.

The head i have now has already been half way cleaned up as far as the valve side of things but this is the first time the plenum will be off and ported.
I just dont wanna mess it up and have to get a new head or sit there and try to patch a hole.

Lance

but.. how much is enough.
I dont wanna be dang near done with it and all of a sudden go off into a water jacket or oil galley.
What are the main things to watch for when porting the intake yourself.

The head i have now has already been half way cleaned up as far as the valve side of things but this is the first time the plenum will be off and ported.
I just dont wanna mess it up and have to get a new head or sit there and try to patch a hole.

Lance

thats why people charger some much for p&p work.

you should be able to tell when looking at it. if it looks too close to something, then i'd just clean it up there and not go crazy.

Is there a way to flow test it after it is ported to compare one runner from the other??? and get them even???

Is there a way to flow test it after it is ported to compare one runner from the other??? and get them even???

Flow bench. You can build your own with home depot parts. It pulls a vacuum across the head and measures the pressure differential using a manometer. " of H2O FTW

Extrude hone is a good option for 12 valves, since the head's internal flow passages aren't funky like the 24 valves - so it isn't critical to machine the plenum off for access. Besides, it's a lot easier to screw up swirl on a 12 valve, so porting really ought to be left to professionals ($$$).

does anyone have any pics of what is actually wrong w/ cylinder 6's intake on the 24v heads to make it run so much hotter?

There's some pictures of a 24 valve head job, you will have a rough idea of what is wrong with the #1 and #6 runners

24porting 1.jpg

24porting 2.jpg

24porting 3.jpg

24porting 4.jpg

24porting 11.jpg

There's some pictures of a 24 valve head job, you will have a rough idea of what is wrong with the #1 and #6 runners

Is this true for common rails also? How much hotter do they run than 2-5? What can be done to fix it?

does anyone have any pics of what is actually wrong w/ cylinder 6's intake on the 24v heads to make it run so much hotter?

the stock intake is choked way down on the #1 and #6 cylinders. I'm guessing it's about 3/4" x 3/4". I'll get some pics soon. Once you see one cut off you'll see right away what's wrong.

Here are some shots of how far down the inlet to 1 and 6 are. First is #1 second is #6.

DSCN0761.jpg

DSCN0762.jpg

And here is one of the intake after removal.
DSCN0769.jpg

You can see that there isn't much of a passage at both ends of the manifold.

that's exactly what I was talking about. and guys wonder why those two cylinders run hotter.