Horsepower wars

georgboy

My question is with the new ford 6.7 scorpion ripping out 400 hp and 800 # ft, and the Chevrolet 6.6 lmm duramax pushing 397 hp and 765 #ft right off the lot when is dodge going to answer back? Has anyone heard anything about what they might do to the 6.7 cummins to compete with ford and chevrolets off the lot numbers?

Probably depends highly on what Fiat does. I'm sure Cummins has something ready.

Last edited:
The new D-Max is an LML. The Cummins is still plenty capable towing but it hasn't even been invited to the last 2 head to head tests with the Ford and Chevy as the GCWR is not high enuff. So it will be a chassis problem more than a motor problem.

When diesel power magazine did the article on " King of the hill " why do you think the 6.6 lml d-max beat the ford 6.7 scorpion? Transmissions are both great units, and weight difference was around 200 pounds. Was the d-max win because of the more test and tuned Allison?

You really need to see dyno graphs those two trucks to understand. Its not all about peak numbers, its about who maintains more power over the given rpm range.

My question is with the new ford 6.7 scorpion ripping out 400 hp and 800 # ft, and the Chevrolet 6.6 lmm duramax pushing 397 hp and 765 #ft right off the lot when is dodge going to answer back? Has anyone heard anything about what they might do to the 6.7 cummins to compete with ford and chevrolets off the lot numbers?

Funny after Ford and GM released its numbers dodge did a TSB for a tune update to get closer to Ford and GMs numbers.

Yep, Ford has an updated flash for those who bought before the announcement of 400/800 also. But there again Ford always seems to announce lower #'s until the competition ponies up and then bump theirs just over. Like said before, the Dodge is behind in tow ratings due to chassis. As a side-note, I can't remember ever seeing a non-biased head-to-head, they always seem to have some sort of disclaimer(We could not get our hands on 2 trucks with the same rearend ratios!) At least the third party head-to-heads are that way, like they can't find 2 trucks optioned really close! And the head-to-heads usually side to whatever manufacturer is conducting the comp. One that comes to mind was a commercial Chevrolet had out in '63. I'm not that old, but own a '63.5 Ford Galaxie 500(406ci. & 405hp.) The Chevy was the '63 Impala 409 w/4.11 rears against the Galaxie 406 w/4.10's. In Chevy's tests the Impala walked all over the Galaxie and in Ford's commercials the Galaxie was the winner hands down. Who knows, they were both fast cars for huge ships. Same today with tests!

Oh, VMAX, I still claim this was one huge mistake on Ford's behalf with the 6.0
other than the fact that it is an engineering nightmare. I think there was some conflict between IH and Ford over the #'s Ford released for it after everyone else ponied up their #'s. Don't think it was ever designed for that kind of cylinder pressures, as per the lack of head bolts. Not to mention the fact that you have to completely disassemble the engine to change a lifter. and the lifters were cheap Chinese roller lifters that like to spit out rollers. What were they thinking?

Yep, Ford has an updated flash for those who bought before the announcement of 400/800 also. But there again Ford always seems to announce lower #'s until the competition ponies up and then bump theirs just over. Like said before, the Dodge is behind in tow ratings due to chassis. As a side-note, I can't remember ever seeing a non-biased head-to-head, they always seem to have some sort of disclaimer(We could not get our hands on 2 trucks with the same rearend ratios!) At least the third party head-to-heads are that way, like they can't find 2 trucks optioned really close! And the head-to-heads usually side to whatever manufacturer is conducting the comp. One that comes to mind was a commercial Chevrolet had out in '63. I'm not that old, but own a '63.5 Ford Galaxie 500(406ci. & 405hp.) The Chevy was the '63 Impala 409 w/4.11 rears against the Galaxie 406 w/4.10's. In Chevy's tests the Impala walked all over the Galaxie and in Ford's commercials the Galaxie was the winner hands down. Who knows, they were both fast cars for huge ships. Same today with tests!

Pickup truck.com did a 100% unbiased test on the rumble in the rockies. The trucks were as close as 2 different manufacrued trucks can be. The updated 6.7 still got it's ass handed to it by over 2 minutes up the mountain. The useable power for the D-Max is just to much for the new turbo system on the 6.7 to overcome. That being said we should all be very proud of detroit in general. Ford and GM are releasing amazing trucks and cars right now. It's time for Chrysler to step up.

I had not seen that test. I like the HP wars because we all win from it. Guess it really has no bearing on me for 2011 because I've never liked the Dodge bodies, new Ford is ugly and manual tranny not offered, and well, Chevy already got all my money in the bailout. That's why I decided to keep my '03 Superduty and repower with a 12V.

I still remember the look on the guys face in his new 2011 ford truck when I ran away from him up hill with a Full bed of wood he was empty! He caught up to me shook his head and gave me a thumbs up! Fords are already running at 110% capacity give them more anything and they break! Cummins out of the show room is running about 50% capacity so the engines can take alot more and that is the difference!

Pickup truck.com did a 100% unbiased test on the rumble in the rockies. The trucks were as close as 2 different manufacrued trucks can be. The updated 6.7 still got it's ass handed to it by over 2 minutes up the mountain. The useable power for the D-Max is just to much for the new turbo system on the 6.7 to overcome. That being said we should all be very proud of detroit in general. Ford and GM are releasing amazing trucks and cars right now. It's time for Chrysler to step up.

Why do the actual hp/tq ratings matter other than bragging rights for the manufacturer? People who buy a truck for towing/hauling most likely could care less about the stated power ratings.

A 2010/2011 HD Ram will still pull anything anyone needs.

All is not lost,....

We Dodge guys can always just not use our brakes going down hill and maybe catch up to them Fords and Chebbys. :cheer:

Has anybody heard the rumor of a twin turbo 6.7 cummins factory 435hp? Ive heard it a few times but i wont believe it till i see it.

I dont believe it either, the only reason i mentioned it is because i heard it from a dealer.

Yeah dealers have more bs than enough. I went to a ford dealer recently to get parts for my buddies 7.3 and the salesman comes out and is telling me how this new 6.7 will walk away from my truck with a load blah blah. I told him I have 600 hp and he told me it has 800. He was obviously talking about tq but just a moron.