Horsepower wars

Bragging rights? Competition? Technology? Some say they have to in order to meet the EPA guidelines as well as maintain usability.

men like having more power than the guy in the lane next to them... be it in a car or a grossed out diesel truck...

ummmm, ya lost me with this one.... You don't think the Dodge still has a partially boxed, c channel chassis, do you?

My understanding, and I could be wrong, is that dodge's last chassis update was in 03. Still utalizeing a partail boxed frame and hydro forming. If I am wrong please tell me, this is what my impression was. From being nder dodge trucks I can tell you the frame size and thickness is nowhere near what GM and Ford are.

My understanding, and I could be wrong, is that dodge's last chassis update was in 03. Still utalizeing a partail boxed frame and hydro forming. If I am wrong please tell me, this is what my impression was. From being nder dodge trucks I can tell you the frame size and thickness is nowhere near what GM and Ford are.

I thought they were fully boxed.. I could be wrong, I just brought my buddies 3rd gen back to him or else I'd go look.. Not trying to say the other two don't have more stout frames.. I just thought the Dodge got boxed completely in 03.

If the Chevy looked better, inside and out, it'd be a no brainer on a new truck.. But that's definitely not the case. They look nice, just no where near as good as Ford or Dodge.

I thought they were fully boxed.. I could be wrong, I just brought my buddies 3rd gen back to him or else I'd go look.. Not trying to say the other two don't have more stout frames.. I just thought the Dodge got boxed completely in 03.

If the Chevy looked better, inside and out, it'd be a no brainer on a new truck.. But that's definitely not the case. They look nice, just no where near as good as Ford or Dodge.

With you on the Chevy not a fan of its looks after the LBZ was made. Still a fan of a Fummins for the best of both worlds. Wish I could find a late model Excursion with a 24 valve for the wife LOL.

With you on the Chevy not a fan of its looks after the LBZ was made. Still a fan of a Fummins for the best of both worlds. Wish I could find a late model Excursion with a 24 valve for the wife LOL.

Besides Mirrors you couldnt tell a difference between the 05's and 06's. Not sure how you could tell a difference between lbzs and llys? and 03s and 04s looked almost the same, they just lacked the raised hood pretty much.

None the less 03 and newer gmcs look better than chevy, dodge, and ford.:poke:

Not doubting your statement,....

But if our frames are inferior to both Ford and GM then why aren't their trucks heavier than ours? Or are they? Not sure, but seem to remember we were the heavier of the three for like trucks.

But if our frames are inferior to both Ford and GM then why aren't their trucks heavier than ours? Or are they? Not sure, but seem to remember we were the heavier of the three for like trucks.

Fords are by far the heaviest. I think dodges and gm seem to be close.

Besides Mirrors you couldnt tell a difference between the 05's and 06's. Not sure how you could tell a difference between lbzs and llys? and 03s and 04s looked almost the same, they just lacked the raised hood pretty much.

None the less 03 and newer gmcs look better than chevy, dodge, and ford.:poke:

06-07.5 were LBZ than the LMM came, just not a fan of the LMM and LML. I think the LB7 is one of the best looking light diesels ever.

06-07.5 were LBZ than the LMM came, just not a fan of the LMM and LML. I think the LB7 is one of the best looking light diesels ever.

Ah i gotcha, i thought you meant you didnt like lbzs either. I wouldnt blame you tho, imo any gm pickup i buy now will be a gmc... the only chevys i would own is an 01 or 02

Ah i gotcha, i thought you meant you didnt like lbzs either. I wouldnt blame you tho, imo any gm pickup i buy now will be a gmc... the only chevys i would own is an 01 or 02

Do y'all just not like the looks of the newer models or is there some other change that you don't agree with?

My 2010 weighs in at 7700lbs...CCLB 3500 SRW...I'm sure the Ford is a bit heavier, but I know the GM isn't, Brother's 09 LMM CCLB weighs less even with the loaded toolbox.

Towing better than 30K lbs she felt strong and secure, just like my old 95 Ram.
Chris

my truck weighs 8200 on the scales with half a tank and me out of the truck. Crew cab/4x4/ 34" tires no lift.

My 2005 Dodge has a boxed frame.

Did GM finally put some tie rods in their truck bigger than like.... 3/8"?

Do you still have to put like 15 turns on the torsion bars to make it sit semi level with a snow plow?

Until they do that, they can claim all they want. I can't knock the Dmax/Ally, or any of Chevy's gas motors, but I'll knock on that other stuff.

My 2005 Dodge has a boxed frame.

Did GM finally put some tie rods in their truck bigger than like.... 3/8"?

Do you still have to put like 15 turns on the torsion bars to make it sit semi level with a snow plow?

Until they do that, they can claim all they want. I can't knock the Dmax/Ally, or any of Chevy's gas motors, but I'll knock on that other stuff.

Cause Dodge has such a great front end.

Yeah I will have to agree on the front end part of the last two post my adjustable track bar on my 05 is popping and carrying on like a piece of crap. Is it even recommended that you install an adjustable track bar with a 2.5 inch spacer? Makes the truck seem almost cheesy with it popping every time I turn. I finally figured out that it is coming from the sleeve that you adjust the track bar with. I am thinking about welding it when I get the alignment done . Chevy on what I read has really beefed up there frame and ford has always had a pretty stout frame. I took a 1972 ford f350 with a 390 BB 4spd granny and 4.11 gears and hauled 8700 pounds worth of old tractor parts on it 50 miles with the motor running on 6 cyl . Scared the heck out of me when I found out how much weight I had on the bed (only) .

The new IFS exceeds Dosge's SFA rating significantly. IFS has been totally redesigned it is very beefy. Gm claims 120% more strength and rigidity. As for the tie rod ends I couldn't tell yah for sure. I can tell you I would rather do $100 tie rod upgrade and never have any other issue. Than deal with the drag link and death wobble. And crappy ride (though Dodge is far smoother than the Furds). I get sick of dumb ass kids and retards who go and buy a GM and take it out sled pullin with just a heavy tune in and they snap there tie rods. If they got on any GM forum they will know it is the first thing you do and your trouble will be solved.

I'm not sure but I know Rob Hall being the puller he is will tell you how strong the front end is, if he has had issue or not. I know alot of racers and pullers use straight center links and other braces on there front ends. I have doen some pretty extreme 4 wheel launches with the big tune in and the front end still flexes a bit the tire toe in slightly but the tortion bars were tight.

Go to your local GM lot and look at the size of the frame under the bed, you will shiit yourself with how small it is compared the GMT800 chassis. Once again it is extremely amazing how far these trucks have come in the last 20 years. from smelly underpowered rattle boxes to absolute brutes of the highway. Many towing semi sized loads without breaking a sweat.

Dyno graphs: LML Chevy vs. 6.7L Power Stroke

Pickup truck.com did a 100% unbiased test on the rumble in the rockies. The trucks were as close as 2 different manufacrued trucks can be. The updated 6.7 still got it's ass handed to it by over 2 minutes up the mountain. The useable power for the D-Max is just to much for the new turbo system on the 6.7 to overcome. That being said we should all be very proud of detroit in general. Ford and GM are releasing amazing trucks and cars right now. It's time for Chrysler to step up.

I definitely agree with that. They all have great trucks right now.

my truck weighs 8200 on the scales with half a tank and me out of the truck. Crew cab/4x4/ 34" tires no lift.

They are all actually closer in curb weight than they've ever been for 2011 models. The '11 Fords are considerably lighter, the '11 Chevy's are considerably heavier, and in most configurations the '11 Dodges are the lightest.

Jesus those Ford boys over there are freakin nuts... I've never seen so many excusses, I was once a Ford man myself but the 6.0 chassed us off and we will never return. Ford boys should be happy they actually have amotor that can run to 100k miles with out a major rebuild again.

Back