Horsepower wars

I still remember the look on the guys face in his new 2011 ford truck when I ran away from him up hill with a Full bed of wood he was empty! He caught up to me shook his head and gave me a thumbs up! Fords are already running at 110% capacity give them more anything and they break! Cummins out of the show room is running about 50% capacity so the engines can take alot more and that is the difference!

I disagree with that statement. Some guys are making 600-1000 hp on the new Fords (mostly the 6.4) with stock bottom end and holding together. Mine has been right under 600hp for 30,000 miles. People just seem to bash Fords due to the 6.0 and so did I it was an embarrassment. The new trucks are impressive and are an absolute 360 from the 6.0. The funny thing is you can get it right under 600hp with about $1500 without it breaking. can you do that with any other truck?

Why do the actual hp/tq ratings matter other than bragging rights for the manufacturer? People who buy a truck for towing/hauling most likely could care less about the stated power ratings.

A 2010/2011 HD Ram will still pull anything anyone needs.

You are kidding right??? You don't care about numbers? I would much rather have a 765 ft lb LML D-max than a 520 ft lb LB7 d-max. Same with Cummins would you rather have 160 horse or a 215?

The Cummins is an amazing motor, I would own one in a heart beat I love them. If it is compression ignition I love it.

But the dodge chassis is going to need some serious work to run with the chevy's fully boxed frame and fords stout frame.

You are kidding right??? You don't care about numbers? I would much rather have a 765 ft lb LML D-max than a 520 ft lb LB7 d-max. Same with Cummins would you rather have 160 horse or a 215?

The Cummins is an amazing motor, I would own one in a heart beat I love them. If it is compression ignition I love it.

But the dodge chassis is going to need some serious work to run with the chevy's fully boxed frame and fords stout frame.

Where did I say that I don't care? I am partial to Dodge/Cummins, but like you I like all diesels.

I said that people who buy for towing/hauling most likely could care less. A 180/420 rated Dodge/Cummins can easily pull 20k plus pounds. You see it all the time.

And the Dodge frame is more than capable of handling anything the Chevy or Ford can do. The only people who say otherwise are the internet weight police.

Where did I say that I don't care? I am partial to Dodge/Cummins, but like you I like all diesels.

I said that people who buy for towing/hauling most likely could care less. A 180/420 rated Dodge/Cummins can easily pull 20k plus pounds. You see it all the time.

And the Dodge frame is more than capable of handling anything the Chevy or Ford can do. The only people who say otherwise are the internet weight police.

Speak for yourself, I guess it depends on how fast you want to get where your going.

There is currently a 480hp rated ISB-5.9 with a max rpm of 3,500 available from cummins in a marine application. Find a way to keep it cool and pass the EPA garbage and there is an engine to be reckoned with. I'm sure cummins is working on something, but with such strict emission requirements and chassis limitation there is only so much they can do. Also, as said before, FIAT did decide to keep the cummins as a powerplant, but as a large shareholder of the company they have a lot of say in the future of the RAM trucks..

There is currently a 480hp rated ISB-5.9 with a max rpm of 3,500 available from cummins in a marine application. Find a way to keep it cool and pass the EPA garbage and there is an engine to be reckoned with. I'm sure cummins is working on something, but with such strict emission requirements and chassis limitation there is only so much they can do. Also, as said before, FIAT did decide to keep the cummins as a powerplant, but as a large shareholder of the company they have a lot of say in the future of the RAM trucks..

Thats the hard part, you could get that out of any non-emissions engine.

when i went to buy a tow rig 3 months ago i went straight to dodge, I dont care that ford or chevy makes a lil more power, i wanted something reliable.
my dad had a 96 cummins 4wd dually, not sure what it was rated at but we pulled a 18,000lb back hoe on a 32' gooseneck all the time

We gross between 25-33k everytime our tow pig is on the road. The tow pig my 03 LB7 dually, my LBZ out powers it by about 130 ft lbs and 65 horses stock (they both have decent tow tunes now) I can whoop my LB7 ass but the Lb7 is totally capable but I know which I prefer on a long haul. Our 48 foot 6 horse can put a serious strain on any truck. I pulled with a small group of people up to estes park here awhile back a very chanllengeing run from North East KS, most people here have switched to all Cummins and D-Max rigs power stroke has lost alot of customers for ford around here because of the 6.0 issues. I can tell you that in the mountains the d-max and cummins trucks are remarkably close it's amazing. The 6.4 ps trucks do seem to take longer to adjust to the altitude it seems. There is just something about useable power witht he gm and dodge trucks.

I'm telling you the Dodge frames need some serious help. Overseas they won;t even armor Dodge trucks and SUV's, the BAE techs overthere claim they do not have a stable enough platform. I love competiton and power wars keep it comein.

Last edited:
Funny after Ford and GM released its numbers dodge did a TSB for a tune update to get closer to Ford and GMs numbers.

Any more info on this TSB flash??

I've always head people run their mouths about how unstable the
Dodge chassis is while towing, or how great the GM and Ford frames are....but I can tell you I've beat my Cummins trucks as hard as I could towing loads well over GCVW for even a new truck, and I've never felt any flex, give, sway, anything whatsoever. I'd like to know what you guys are doing to say the frames are so weak?

Chris

Speak for yourself, I guess it depends on how fast you want to get where your going.

I was using a generalization.

People who buy for towing most certainly interested in power...

Of course. Which is why they buy a diesel over a gasser.

Why do they keep raising the HP if nobody cares?

Bragging rights? Competition? Technology? Some say they have to in order to meet the EPA guidelines as well as maintain usability.

when i went to buy a tow rig 3 months ago i went straight to dodge, I dont care that ford or chevy makes a lil more power, i wanted something reliable.
my dad had a 96 cummins 4wd dually, not sure what it was rated at but we pulled a 18,000lb back hoe on a 32' gooseneck all the time

My in-laws are all blinded by their Blue Oval glasses. One thing they all admit to is that the Dodge is far superior for towing. Makes me scratch my head.

We gross between 25-33k everytime our tow pig is on the road. The tow pig my 03 LB7 dually, my LBZ out powers it by about 130 ft lbs and 65 horses stock (they both have decent tow tunes now) I can whoop my LB7 ass but the Lb7 is totally capable but I know which I prefer on a long haul. Our 48 foot 6 horse can put a serious strain on any truck. I pulled with a small group of people up to estes park here awhile back a very chanllengeing run from North East KS, most people here have switched to all Cummins and D-Max rigs power stroke has lost alot of customers for ford around here because of the 6.0 issues. I can tell you that in the mountains the d-max and cummins trucks are remarkably close it's amazing. The 6.4 ps trucks do seem to take longer to adjust to the altitude it seems. There is just something about useable power witht he gm and dodge trucks.

I'm telling you the Dodge frames need some serious help. Overseas they won;t even armor Dodge trucks and SUV's, the BAE techs overthere claim they do not have a stable enough platform. I love competiton and power wars keep it comein.

The Chevy's are nice trucks for sure. I've looked at them but just can't bring myself to buy one when I look under the hood. ;)

And...

Dodge chassis is while towing, or how great the GM and Ford frames are....but I can tell you I've beat my Cummins trucks as hard as I could towing loads well over GCVW for even a new truck, and I've never felt any flex, give, sway, anything whatsoever. I'd like to know what you guys are doing to say the frames are so weak?

Chris

I would like to know this as well. People talk about it but I have never seen it.

The only thing I've heard first hand is from a mechanic friend of mine who also owns a wrecker service. When shopping for a new truck he looked at all of them and said that the Rams had a weak point in their frame just rear of the cab. I can't recall his exact words but it something like an indention that would cause the frame buckle/bend much easier than a straight frame.

This was about 6 years ago when he looked at the trucks.

Bragging rights? Competition? Technology? Some say they have to in order to meet the EPA guidelines as well as maintain usability.

There is NO CHANCE that raising the power is helping them meet emissions...if emissions would let them, we'd be seeing 600hp factory options from diesels with a little smoke.

The EPA is the reason we have 350hp diesels struggling to get 15mpg in most cases...not 20mpg like some of us with non-emissions diesels;)

Chris

There is NO CHANCE that raising the power is helping them meet emissions...if emissions would let them, we'd be seeing 600hp factory options from diesels with a little smoke.

Don't shoot the messenger! Not sure what the premise is behind that thought but I have seen it mentioned.

The EPA is the reason we have 350hp diesels struggling to get 15mpg in most cases...not 20mpg like some of us with non-emissions diesels;)

Chris

No argument here.

Chris

It was in one of the big three shootouts in diesel power magazine. Will have to find the article but it was fairly recent. I believe they said all the trucks after x date had the updated tune and the ones before that date were contacted to come in and get flashed.

On a side note

One serious eye opener can be seen on the Ford truck DVD. They gave this out to me when I was at the dealer. It was about an hour long and basically they tore apart the big 3's 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton trucks and compared them side by side. I have to say it eased me over to the Ford camp. I got to think about how true it was and realised that Dodge or Gm would sue the crap out of Ford if they were claiming false pretenses. I will see if I can find it on you tube.

I haven't seen anything from Dodge/Chrysler/Fiat about a flash for my truck...and given that it will run with my Brother LMM, but not my Uncle's LML, I'm pretty sure I have 350hp...well, I did have...Smarty and deletes have it running VERY good now:D

Chris

One serious eye opener can be seen on the Ford truck DVD. They gave this out to me when I was at the dealer. It was about an hour long and basically they tore apart the big 3's 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton trucks and compared them side by side. I have to say it eased me over to the Ford camp. I got to think about how true it was and realised that Dodge or Gm would sue the crap out of Ford if they were claiming false pretenses. I will see if I can find it on you tube.

Can you give us a summary?

I know some of the videos on the website had some inaccuracies.

ummmm, ya lost me with this one.... You don't think the Dodge still has a partially boxed, c channel chassis, do you?

Way too much info......... I will see if I can get the video up sometime soon. Obviously I cant verify it is all true but all info was not here say. It was from diesel power mag or Ford. Just playing the messenger.

Honestly I am not partial to any camp just the one that has the best truck out when I am buying. I have owned at least 1 of all three. In my own summary Ford makes the best truck. Dodge makes the best diesel motor and Chevy has the best power out of the box and IFS. For some IFS is the best thing ever. I want nothing to do with IFS ever again.

Back