Horsepower wars

There's a guy on psn that weighed his '11 ford crew cab short bed 4x4. 8140 on cat scales.

The GM and Dodge boys are having a good discussion here lets not drag a bunch of excuse making furd fellas in here with there "well I know a guy who knew a guy that blew a guy that had a ford blah blah blah".

The GM and Dodge boys are having a good discussion here lets not drag a bunch of excuse making furd fellas in here with there "well I know a guy who knew a guy that blew a guy that had a ford blah blah blah".

LOL

Seems that the Furd owners are all alike.

But if our frames are inferior to both Ford and GM then why aren't their trucks heavier than ours? Or are they? Not sure, but seem to remember we were the heavier of the three for like trucks.

Dodge's are the lightest out of the factory now.

My 2010 weighs in at 7700lbs...CCLB 3500 SRW...I'm sure the Ford is a bit heavier, but I know the GM isn't, Brother's 09 LMM CCLB weighs less even with the loaded toolbox.

Towing better than 30K lbs she felt strong and secure, just like my old 95 Ram.
Chris

My 03 2500 cc/lb GMC weights over 7700 without a toolbox. Id say there pretty close to weight, and if you think about it, the duramax motor is considerably lighter than a cummins, ifs is considerably lighter than a solid axle... so gms getting their weight somewhere

well it's better than IFS

For what? Im not sure why its so hard for people to figure out IFS, its not rocket science. Ive had the same tie rod sleeves in mine for 5+ years and have never had a problem with cvs or any other part. Ive went back and fourth between a home made centerlink brace and a straight centerlink. I used the brace when it was a daily driver cause it didnt affect steering, now i use the centerlink. Ive seen more dana 60s break on the pulling track than ifs when its set up properly. When ifs is not set up properly, yes it will break, but so will a solid axle.

The ifs thing was cool to complain about 10 years ago, we have since got around it... if tie rod sleeves, a centerlink brace, or a straight centerlink is too hard to make, or too expensive to buy... then you probably shouldnt be modding your truck anyways cause in stock form it will hold up fine.

I thought ford had something pretty good going with the 6.4 powerstroke, however after running one a lot with my job over the past 6 months or so, I am not impressed with our F-550.

Its an 08 model and has been in the shop about 100 days since it was new.

Among other things, they have replaced:

- Radiator
- ECM
- DPF twice
- Exhaust Up Pipes which requred transmission removal
- ABS module, ABS wires, etc...
- Door handle (it fell off)
- Crank Position Sensor

And several other things. It now has a problem where it intermittently wont start back after you shut it off. Ford cant figure that one out. The electric vacuum pump is also dead and I will be installing a new one on it tomorrow since its out of warranty. It just really hasnt been a good truck though.

I like the looks of the ford trucks, but after dealing with this thing and fords track record since after mid 2003, ill stick to dodge or chevy. The dodge/cummins is my favorite, but I think the new chevy is a good truck too.

Eric

Last edited:
I'm just trying to wrap my mind around how someone can ride in a chit box GM and even remotely associate quality with it.

On the frames. hah.

I'm just trying to wrap my mind around how someone can ride in a chit box GM and even remotely associate quality with it.

On the frames. hah.

It's easy, Dodge and Ford are the same.. Ford and Dodge have a better "design." But they are all far from quality.. Could you imagine what trucks would cost if they had better quality? We'd be seeing 100k dollar dually's...

It's easy, Dodge and Ford are the same.. Ford and Dodge have a better "design." But they are all far from quality.. Could you imagine what trucks would cost if they had better quality? We'd be seeing 100k dollar dually's...

The fact people willingly pay 50K+ for the junk GM offers is the only reason they are priced this way.

On the frames. hah.

So the dodge frame is better???? That is why BAE systems and other armor up fitter won't touch dodge trucks and SUV's? I'll compare our GM's we own now to any of the Ford and Dodge trucks we ran not so long ago. But it would be a waste of time tryin to get somone as close minded or mentally chanllenged as you to even consider understanding what is said in what I write. You are hooked on the thinkin that a truck should resemble a JD 4020 as close as possible.

The fact people willingly pay 50K+ for the junk GM offers is the only reason they are priced this way.

Who offers better??? Is it the truck that got it's ass kicked runnin up the rockies or the truck that wasn't invited to the party? Or was it some bastardized Fummins that uses a tractor frame and tractor motor?

Nobody does right now it's all the same and Ford and dodge have been in the Diesel game longer so I would say they influence the price more

Last edited:

I'm still trying to figure out why you think Dodge and Ford has a higher quality interior.. I've been in all of them many times.. Not a single one has quality written all over it. Maybe I've just been in more, nicer cars as well?

So the dodge frame is better???? That is why BAE systems and other armor up fitter won't touch dodge trucks and SUV's? I'll compare our GM's we own now to any of the Ford and Dodge trucks we ran not so long ago. But it would be a waste of time tryin to get somone as close minded or mentally chanllenged as you to even consider understanding what is said in what I write. You are hooked on the thinkin that a truck should resemble a JD 4020 as close as possible.

We are talking about pickups yes? Call me when a frame on a dodge, ford, or chevy breaks from use. Or you can sit and tell my why chevy went to that grease covered cluster **** in the quest for the best ride.

Who offers better??? Is it the truck that got it's ass kicked runnin up the rockies or the truck that wasn't invited to the party? Or was it some bastardized Fummins that uses a tractor frame and tractor motor?

At this point I refuse to buy anything post 07. They all suck, GM just sucks in more categories. Can we do a test in the rockies in 5 years with the same truck when the dash is creaking louder than the radio and the door drops 2" when opened?

I'm still trying to figure out why you think Dodge and Ford has a higher quality interior.. I've been in all of them many times.. Not a single one has quality written all over it. Maybe I've just been in more, nicer cars as well?

I've been in everything from model T's to Ferrari ____. GM seems to be using the same theory as VW....make the interior look good in the showroom, screw longevity.

They still use the same designs that have been used and failing since the 80's, in some cases since the 60's. Same junk ass door hinges, same junk ass plastic, no unibody on frame (no lets keep making them fold like paper).

Let em put this plainly. You can go look at a 85 chevy k30, look at the design, the remove all the bolts and clips and use them on the newest truck on the lot......its the same crap.

I favor none of them at this point, I will stand by the statement I will NEVER own another GM in my life. Ford seems to have the best compromise of interior quality. Dodge is cheap, I really dont like them.

Oh, and yea, I like my 0.25" C channel frame and tractor engine. I bought a truck, not a ****ing car with a bed made from recycled milk jugs and left over parachute pants.

Last edited:
We are talking about pickups yes? Call me when a frame on a dodge, ford, or chevy breaks from use. Or you can sit and tell my why chevy went to that grease covered cluster **** in the quest for the best ride.

At this point I refuse to buy anything post 07. They all suck, GM just sucks in more categories. Can we do a test in the rockies in 5 years with the same truck when the dash is creaking louder than the radio and the door drops 2" when opened?

We are talking about trucks, what is the grease covered cluster **** you speak of? Now trucks don't need grease zirts? I am just really confused on where you get your info on GM products? I would say just with my family we have owned enough GM trucks long enuff to see they hold pretty well. Can't say I have ever had a GM dash "crack" louder than the speaker? I have 2 year old chevy and it has a cracked dash, but none of our other GMs have cracked. But then again neither has our Ford and Dodge dashes ever cracked??? Our doors don't drop 2" when we open them, they don't drop at all, with the exception of my 20 year old 1500.

But I will totally argee with you on the anything newer than 07 is crap but I would be willing to go even further and say anything post 2000 is nowhere near as stout as the trucks from 90's 80's and 70's I have no doubt about that.

I honstley just want to know where you get your info on how "bad" gm trucks are. I have said a few times in this thread I think all 3 make amazingly capable trucks now and they have for the last 10 years, (6.0) is the exception Ford is the only one to make a step backward with the 6.0 replaceing the Mr. reliable 7.3. But thankfully the 6.4 has saved Ford and I hope the 6.7 is a good motor aswell.

I have literally worked on/drove hundreds of them, that is my info. The grease I speak of is what I what GM used as a rust inhibitor. Having first hand repaired more of them than I care to remember. The frames are not that great, on paper yes, in the real world, no. I have yet to see one with miles that has held up.

I fail them just by their sheer lack of design. Or advancement.

BTW, I said "creaking" not cracking.

Ah creaking, i guess we got good ones then? Living on dirt roads and over 200K miles on the 03 and it has no creaks, now the third doors on extended cabs yeah that is the very definition of creak.

Different strokes for different folks I guess I spent more time working on our Dodges than anyting else but nothing was ever major, minus an auto tranny and rear end but they lived along time and were expected to go out. The dodges were rattle traps inside but good trucks, the fords never really had much rattle that I can remember just the engine noise inside would drive you carzy on long trips.

The goo on the frames is an option I never ordered. But chassis strength has alway been there IMO, the IFS is a love or hate deal. I have never had an issue with breakage of any kind, our Ford's did go through a few sets of front hubs but it was after alot of miles.

I can certainly understand having all of those problems when driving other peoples vehicles that were wrecked..

It may be something about our weather, the temp swings locally are not known to be kind.

I still hate them.

Just be content that we will never likely be fighting each other for a truck. LOL