How does the 181/210 compare?

Hamilton Cams

ignorant
I have been asked quite a few times how does our cam compare to the competitions cam. I have never done any dyno test back to back with competitors cams and mine. I have always just focused on our cams not what others were doing. In the past I have called out a few individuals that have made some very negative comments about our products but I have never known why they wouldn't just do a dyno run against my cam. Today I found out why. I needed some data for an article that was being written. I asked a few cam manufacturers to join in and maybe get some free press, none wanted in. I asked Aturo Ruiz of Buda, Texas if he would allow me to install a few cams in his truck for testing. He was very gracious in allowing me to have his truck for two days. We did 6-8 runs with each cam and picked the highest of each day for the comparrisons. NOTHING else was changed the weather was the same, same driver, same smarty levels. Some people talk about certain brands making more power than another cam, but I have never seen two cams run back to back on the same truck. I was fair and impartial on all things. For all of the people that want to call b.s. All of you get together and schedule a day when you want to dyno the truck come down and watch the runs yourselves. I will even let you put the cams in. Same deal I offered Greg.

the setup
h2, .010 lash int., .020" lash exh. installed straight up with supplied key
181/210 lash int .010", lash exh. .015" installed straight up
truck 2006 2500 4wd
turbo s366 with 1.1 A/R, external 38mm gate
Injectors 120 hp I believe
110# springs
Hamilton pushrods
ZZ head
smarty tnt
ts pressure box

On the first runs the the t.s. was at 25% the 181/210 peaked at 23hp more than the H2, and 167 moreft.lbs. But at 2500rpm the 181/210 made an additional 225 hp and 500ftlbs more due to the much earlier spoolup.

On the second set of runs the T.S. was set at 50%. With the H2 the truck lost 4and dropped to 676hp. The 181/210 picked up 28hp to make 731hp

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff203/zacheryhamilton/Scan_Pic0002.jpg

i'll back this trial cause i just finished up this past weekend pulling my h2 cam out and swapping a hd 181/210 cam in and by the seat of my pants i can tell its making a little more power the spool is a hair better than with the H2

I will ask Arturo if he got any.

Skynyrd- remember this is just our street cam. If your pistons are flycut I can move a lot more air.

Zach

I doubt I'm going to be the first to poo-poo these results, but I just don't see a cam at 2500 rpm making a 225 hp difference.

Maybe because I'm running a pretty quick spooling set of twins, I know I'm at full torque WELL below 3000 rpm. (H2 cam)

On your chart the h2 is torque peaking at 3k?

They are on sale for $499 but we sold the last cast billet today. I will have my next shipment in two weeks. Call Geoff at Colt cams if you want a regrind they are $299. If you want I can have a new one cut out of the same style marine cam as the H2, if you can't wait for the billets, but I don't suggest it due to cam wear caused by narrow lobes. The H2 has a lot of flaking on the nose of the lobe. This with only a few miles.

And sir, if you want to see the results in person, I will schedule a time when you and anybody else can come and do some comparisons. I chose a big single with a loose a/r to show how the cam works, not the super tight a/r housings or twins. I have no doubt that you have a good bottom end. Do you want better is the question!

Zach

Last edited:
I will ask Arturo if he got any.

Skynyrd- remember this is just our street cam. If your pistons are flycut I can move a lot more air.

Zach

nope the pistons aren't fly cut they are stock and the h2 and 181/210 are both drop in cams

Way to go Zach!
Is this where someone mentions furniture being thrown?

Way to go Zach!
Is this where someone mentions furniture being thrown?
Yep...I bet the pile is getting pretty big by now...
Broken_furniture_450X338.jpg

I'd like to see a dyno between the HD 181/210 vs Diesel Pro's cam.

Does any body have a used diesel pro, or maxspool cam they would like to sell? I am also looking for a a billet spartan H2. I want to see if we can make it 500 miles without having the lobes flake on the nose.

Does any body have a used diesel pro, or maxspool cam they would like to sell? I am also looking for a a billet spartan H2. I want to see if we can make it 500 miles without having the lobes flake on the nose.

I got a h2 cam for sale:hehe:

Skynyrd, was there any flaking on the nose of that cam. When the oils had more zinc I rarely saw any flaking on the nose of cams. Lately, with the low zinc oils I have even seen the wider 24v cams flaking once in a while.

Skynyrd, was there any flaking on the nose of that cam. When the oils had more zinc I rarely saw any flaking on the nose of cams. Lately, with the low zinc oils I have even seen the wider 24v cams flaking once in a while.

nope there was no flaking on the nose of the cam shaft lobes i ran rotella t the entire time and it doesn't even show much wear on the cam lobes at all.