How easy does your truck start?

887 pump, 19.5* timing, 4K springs, 191 DV's, modded AFC, idle set at 900, RV275 injectors, have to give it just the slightest bit of throttle to get it to start, too much and it chokes it, too little and it doesn't do dick. this is anywhere from -25* to 100* I have noticed it wants a bit less throttle in the more extreme cold and is GRUMPY till it warms up.

I'm actually giving serious thought to going back to a VP, this thing is a pain in the ass.

Mine damn near wont start in 25* weather. Oh well. I just run an extension cord through my hotel window and problem solved.

With a 215 pump 35* of timing 15:1 with no heater grid maybe 3 seconds of cranking in 35-40* weather.

Mine takes one pump of the throttle and try to start it as i release the peddal.
18* of timing.

Part of the fuel control assy. inside the governor housing needs manipulate to make the P7100 start without throttle input. The pump must be removed from the truck to do this adjustment/repair.

With a 911 pump, 5k springs, 181 dvs, and AFC full forward with 7x12's at VP pressure and 23* timing my truck started in 14* weather last Monday after not being started in a few weeks. I don't even have my block heater cord on it, lol. I just hop in, cycle the grid heater twice, tap the pedal and start it. It idles about 600-650 for about 30 seconds till it's get warmed than idles right at 750.

Part of the fuel control assy. inside the governor housing needs manipulate to make the P7100 start without throttle input. The pump must be removed from the truck to do this adjustment/repair.

can you explan what piece and how you manipulate it ??:ft:

Can you go over to Jeff's and do that to mine while it's all apart...again.

There are at least two different types of Idle springs in different Ppumps!
my local mechanic has a ppumped his 24 valve, and he says, his truck never started up as good as now with this Ppump (215)! one touch on the starter and it runs!

He put in softer idle springs, in some trucks that didnt start without throttle! Its not really a 24v-ppump issue, there are 12 valves that do it too! Ive had one sick 887 pump, which i never got to run really well! i was so sick of it, i now have a 215 pump on (some manual trucks have softer springs i believe)

Last edited:
Thats right, Somehow i was mixed up, I now have a 887 pump on there,
Truck did have a 180 before, from stock, whatever number it is.

Just got my truck back up and running after Seth re did my pump. He put a 4k gsk in it and did some other tweeking to it and it now starts right up with absolutely no throttle input!! Cant wait to get it out on the street once this blizzard clears up!

Seth also did mine as well. Truck runs excellent nice and smooth with more power than before. Needs throttle input to start, but I don't gives a chit it's not like it's very difficult to put your foot on the pedal. It's unreal the difference he made in the way this thing runs. Now if I can ever get my spare head fixed up and a cam.