How to make an Airdog motor last?

Not that this helps but I've had a AD 150 on my 91.5 for 5.5 years and about 60k miles now. It's been making about 22 psi the entire time.

A lower pressure would extend the life of the motor.

That said. I wouldn't put an electric lift pump on anything. Ever.

What mechanical pump do you use? I want something mechanical but don't know if a waterman can pull from a fuel cell

It's Opie's mitusa pump. Just a plain old gear pump and they'll pull good.

Haven't kept up on that but there was nothing too it. The only part I'm using is the actual pump but their's no identifying marks on it.

On my 3rd AD II 220 pump motor. 1st lasted around 8k miles at 45-60psi, 2nd lasted a couple thousand, my third has held great at 45 for around 6k miles but it's been parked for a little over a year now.. They all failed the same way, started dropping pressure 1-3psi for about a month then it would quit.

Called in every time, less than 3 minutes on the phone and had a new motor on the way.

5+ years and 70k+ miles on my AD 100, zero issue's. All I do is change the filters twice a year and run it.

As for making it's life easier I'd run a sump with it. Just my opinion and I have no facts to back this up but I'd think that sucking fuel through a draw straw would be far harder on the motor than having it basically gravity fed with a sump.

I put a pump bypass in because they suck so bad the CP3 will pull thru no problem.
45psi to a CP3 will kill your CP3 in days 15psi max! Fuelab is the best going out there right now check them out! But to answer your question to make it last just leave it on the shelf last a long time!

Pretty sure Aeromotive is the best thing going, but that being said, I've had pretty good luck with Airdogs on my own stuff and customers!

Last edited:
It's an easy fix to do yourself. I was buying junk ones that had no warranty card and fixing them and flipping them.

Most of the time yes, the one I've got sitting in my toolbox has a dicked up commutator due to it though

Most of the time yes, the one I've got sitting in my toolbox has a dicked up commutator due to it though

Hmmm, well thats bad luck, i've never seen one that has really ruined any part of the motor. Only bad seals and or bearings.

Anyone interested in 2 non working airdog pump motors? Pay shipping and they're yours

I had an aeromotive on my old Dodge and before I had it my brother ran it on his 6.0. Pump was almost 10 years old when I took it off, and it never had an issue.