how to reduce crank case pressure

remember all the 7.3 power strokes had the crank case vented between the air cleaner and the turbo.. make a huge mess to work on from all the oil residue in the entire intake track, intercooler, boots would slip off.. not a great idea but would work...

FWIW, Those crankcase evacuation pumps (and that providing similar function) aid in piston ring sealing by reducing P2 such that when combined with P1, a greater force is exerted on the ring thereby increasing it's sealing effect. With that, more pressure of combustion is retained in the combustion chamber so as to do more work, pushing the piston.

9d7abda1.jpg

So say the voices in my head. :pop:

Last edited:
I remember reading about hondas f1 cars in the 80's , they were getting crazy #'s out of those little motors. I guess in one race something happened and a crankcase got broke and no oil came out, they were under such a vacuum that air was going in faster than oil came out. I think they outlawed it shortly after that along with a bunch of other stuff.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Let say u put ur blow by tube pre-turbo. Then a injector or cp3 goes down then fills the crankcase up with fuel and boom runaway engine. Already seen a 6.7 do it (bad idea)
Jordan i would check into looking for a ford smog pump like 92 93 f series
or one of these
IMAG0005.jpg

I remember reading about hondas f1 cars in the 80's , they were getting crazy #'s out of those little motors. I guess in one race something happened and a crankcase got broke and no oil came out, they were under such a vacuum that air was going in faster than oil came out. I think they outlawed it shortly after that along with a bunch of other stuff.
Is it possible they were running a dry sump oiling system?

Probably, but the oil still has to go to the bottom before the dry sump gets it. It looks like they were pulling around 28 inches but they were specifically built for that. Regular oil seals start pulling atmospheric air in at around 10 inches.
Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Let say u put ur blow by tube pre-turbo. Then a injector or cp3 goes down then fills the crankcase up with fuel and boom runaway engine. Already seen a 6.7 do it (bad idea)
or one of these
IMAG0005.jpg

X2. Thats what I run works great just ran #12 hose to it mounted on fender well. I bought an extra filter for the top and swap a clean one on at every oil change while the other is washed and dried. The filter just gets saturated with oil over a long period. No more mess under the truck.

Yea, Helman's is just bigger and the drain on the bottom ties into the oil pan. So you never make a mess.

Do you guys really think that the slight crankcase suction you'd get by dumping hot and largely non-combustible blow-by in before the turbo will net you more power than just venting the crankcase by sticking big breathers on the fill tube, valve cover, tappet cover, oil pan, et cetera?

A belt-driven vacuum pump, or maybe big honkin electrical pump, is the end-all of the problem, but I can't see CARB-mandated closed crankcase breathers ever being better than just sufficient vents. Closed ventilation would make your engine look less like a screaming exploding oil-burning inefficient piece of junk I guess... But I like that look.

or one of these
IMAG0005.jpg

Where did find that catch can at? I'm not finding much luck on summit...

im not so sure that it would work on a turbo motor.. it smoothes out the pulses im thinking and the pulses are what i assume pulls out the cc pressure on gassers and usually it seems like those motors are cammed pretty big also.. i might be outa my tree and you are on to something but i dont know for sure.. i just spent 10 bucks at napa auto for some heater hose and pcv grommets and drilled to of my valve covers, oh and the oil filler too.. should be pretty vented..

actually they work better on a turbo motor.

run vacuum hose (-8 or larger) to a sealed catch can thats either baffled or has a stainless steel wool mesh in it to collect oil vapors out of the vented gasses. then a larger (than lines feeding em) back to intake tube preturbo. the air volume passing by at full song creates a venturi effect, creating upwards of 15 in of vacuum or more.

example can be seen here.
My new crankcase evactuation system - DSM Forums
yes, it is NOT a diesel, but high rpm and crankcase pressure have the same effect. and NO i am not a fan of tunerz

The White Superior 8GTLE is a turbo charged natural gas industrial engine that uses the intake side of the turbo to pull a vacuum on the crank case. Uses a pot to seperate the oil and a simple ball valve to set vacuum at full load. The pot is plumbed to drain back into the crank case and never needs to be manually drained. They've been run that way for longer than I've been alive.

or one of these
IMAG0005.jpg

Very true.

the single vent on a 24v has still been giving me problems...until I added two more vents via a billet tappet cover. THREE vents to teh air have done the trick for keeping my engine bay clean. I still plan to plumb all three into a vacuum pump and catch can if I can figure out how and where to mount the pump. LOL

^ditto, the timing case vent, and a 12v tappet cover have really helped out on my rig.

the single vent on a 24v has still been giving me problems...until I added two more vents via a billet tappet cover. THREE vents to teh air have done the trick for keeping my engine bay clean. I still plan to plumb all three into a vacuum pump and catch can if I can figure out how and where to mount the pump. LOL

Are you still using the front vent tube on the 24v with a p-pump?

Are you still using the front vent tube on the 24v with a p-pump?

Yes sir. And I know that has been half of the problem since the oil drains right into the "breather" but i had no other choice at the time. But with it still there and the two added 12v style vents from the billet tappet cover, there has been ZERO oiling issues under the truck.