Inline ISUZU into Ford almost complete!!

carcrafter22

I have been working on putting a 3.9L isuzu 4BD1T diesel into my 67 ford truck for about 2 1/2 months now and almost have it completed. I tore the whole truck down to frame and started over completely.

After looking at others truck with similar swaps I am planning on 30-32mpg out of this truck with a car like ride. I will also eventually be running it on vegi oil to save on fuel costs. I also plan on makeing 250-300 hp and 550tq which should be good enough for a 4000# truck

Here is a list of the parts used.

-1990 Isuzu 4BD1T 3.9L 4 cylinder diesel
-2003 cummins HY35 turbo
-modded injector pump and injectors
-2005 ram 2500 w/cummins intercooler and radiator
-1987 700R4 trans
-2007 crown vic 8.8 rear axle 3.27 limited slip 11" disc brakes
-2007 crown vic IFS with aluminum crossmember,12" disc brakes, rack & pinion steering
-2003 Chevy 2500 van hydraboost and master cylinder
-2003 ford ranger 17 gallon fuel tank
-1979 F150 tilt steering column
-2007 Dodge mangnum 18" wheels with 225/65 goodyear tires

I lowered the rear leaf springs 5" to make it sit 1/4" higher than the front so it is almost perfectly level.
I also coated the entire frame in POR-15 and installed new body mounts and will be installing an all new Painless performance wireing harness along with Vintage Air A/C.

Future plans will call for twin turbos, a highly modded injection and injectors, and a 5 spd auto trans with custom tuning. I am also thinking of IRS with custom half shafts to handle the power while giving and even smoother ride.

Here are a few pics

when I bought the truck

engine out

crossmember installed and everything painted

Looks like a good start. What have you done to the motor? What trans will you use?

Here is the rear axle mocked up

The trans with plenty of room and access

The cummins intercooler and ram radiator

the isuzu engine with only a few things left to do

final ride height of the truck

Last edited:
Thanks, I was wondering about the build. Being that it's a 700 catching LOTS of TQ I didn't know if he was going to use a standard 7 series pack or move up to a 9 ect, ect... I've seen 700's live behind dragsters but never a daily driver with lots of TQ.

I plan on running a 2005 5R110 5 spd auto out of a power stroke truck eventually I just wanted to get it running good with a much simpler trans. I will also be playing with suspension to get the ride I want and if I cant get it with the leaf springs then I will install a lincoln IRS and bags at all 4 corners.

This truck is going to be my daily driver/ work truck since I drive so many miles ( and never really pull any weight). I have put 80,000 miles on my duramax in just over a year so its time to stop and give it a rest. I will also be running this thing on vegi oil as soon as I get a solid month long test run with no problems on the truck.

Dang....my next project is gonna be a twinned 12V in a truck just like that...bagged on 24's. Been planning it in my head for a while now just got hung up on my first conversion. LOL

That's looking awesome though....nice work.

I knew Rico would pipe in on this thread. I have heard him say that a 1000 times. LOL Nice looking project.

thanks guys I kinda took a break from the duramax performance to work on this thing, so far I love it. I am kinda thinking I would like to see if I could get this thing in the 11's if possible.

I have already started looking into twins for it :D

I have been hung up on this style now. LOL I can't ever mention it at home because I'm pretty sure the wife will kill me.

Attachments

• 0_IMAGE_008.jpg
    0_IMAGE_008.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 242
That would be sweet for a diesel conversion. There is a video of a guy on youtube that has a 30's ford with a 4bt 3.9L cummins.

what did you do to the injection pump and injectors??? are these Izusu engines as mod-friendly yet stay reliable like the 4BT Cummins???

You should put Duramax emblems on that truck. lol

C-ya

I have the screws turned on the pump and some modded injectors will be going in as soon as its driveable. I just have to take it up the road to the local injection shop so they can get to it. We have been talking for a while about this little project and they are more than willing to help out and get the fueling right for it. I am going to try and do this will as little smoke as possible. I will be starting with he HY35 then move onto a set of homemade twins. I just need to figure out what 2 turbos I will be using. I am thining of using the hy35 for the small turbo and maybe an HX50 for the big turbo but I dont know yet.