Inline ISUZU into Ford almost complete!!

Looks great! Saw the vid on youtube where you were showing the neighbors your new tires....lol.

Nice swap, sounds like it runs great and gets good mileage too. What was engine rated for hp from the factory?

Just think what it would do with a Natural Gas conversion! I bet you could get over 60 MPG!!!

Thanks everyone. The engine was factory rated at 126hp and about 270 tq flywheel. I am guessing I am around 185hp 350tq rear wheel now, I was going to get it dynoed the other day but I was called out of town for 2 weeks on buisness so hereI sit, I do plan on getting it dynod when I get home though. Right now I am getting 32.4 mpg 65% town/35% highway. The truck runs smooth and straight down the road even though I still havent gotten a front end alignment yet.

I have all the guages installed right now and am still trying to figure out why I am only making 22psi of boost instead of the 30-35 other guys are making with the same turbo on the cummins 3.9L 4bt engine. I have also installed more dynamat and found a donor truck with some perfect sheet metal I can use so that will be going on soon. I also started ordering some of the A/C and heater parts and will be getting it installed in about a month. I would like to get the interior a littl more complete (smooth the dash, new radio, a/c controls, a/c system etc.) before I post anymore interior pics. So far everything is going great I have driven the truck almost everyday that I was home and put quite a bit of miles on it with no ill effects.

Nice job! Looks sweet to! its nice to build a rig yourself and not spend tons of cash paying for some one elses labor. Plus you know your rig inside and out.

Well I am still out of town so not much has gone on with the build, I figured I would post some pics I just downloaded off my camera. I installed a "J" hook on the turbo to keep the wastegate closed and installed the egt gauge sensor

Here is the napa filter head and fuel filter setup I am using. The whole thing cost about $55 to setup and is a fuel filter/water seperator and filters down to 3 microns. I will be installing stainless line along the frame and stainless braided line from the hard line to the fuel filter when I get home.

Oh yeah the twins have been decided on it will be the current HY35 I have mounted on a custom tubular header I will be making out of schedule 40 stainless tubing and an HX52 from a volvo with a billet wheel and modded exhaust housing. The small 16 cm exhaust housing on the hx52 should help it spool a little better on the small 3.9L but still be able to support plenty of power.

Anyone care to comment on that particular twin turbo setup and how it will work in my application?

A spare injection pump is being made right now with enough fuel to support the twins and I am still looking into modded injectors but will proably go with extrude hone.

As always keep those comments coming. good or bad :D

I like it, me and my dad have one we have been putting in a 34 ford AA.We just havent found time to finish it.

Wonderful!!! I was ABOUT to do the same, but couldn't decide on my favorite donor truck... haha. Indecision! haha. I already have a 1950 ford 1/2 ton hot-rod (though I wish my flathead got your isuzu mileage and power) so I wanted something a bit newer. I decided on trying to push the limits of a modern 12 valve cummins (1998 club cab long box).

Enough about me.... (sorry to turn the subject)!

I think your twin turbo idea is great, though I don't have any expertise in that area. If you are planning on running any SVO or B100, you're going to see the difference. Not sure about injectors on the Isuzu's, but your shop guys will know! Those engines are TRIED AND TRUE. They have been making virtually the same engine for 30 years. Its everywhere!! Push some limits, wreck one or two, rebuild them. Then TELL ME HOW TO DO IT! haha. Isn't it sad when you have just enough smarts to get yourself into trouble???

Oh, and about the 67, my only recommendation is to quiet the cab (which you have already done with the mat). Mine is a blast to drive, but you are virtually deaf at the end of the trip.

Good luck, KEEP POSTING!!!

Lindell:Cheer:

I have the same engine (4bd1t). Its going into the wifes 1951 F2.
I like the idea of the 700r4. Just another mod I will be going with..
Nice work on your F-100. Looks great.

You have done very nice work there...it's good to see the "old iron" put back on the road. We have several isuzu NPR's with factory exhaust brakes and the aisin transmission, we buy these trucks pretty cheap and I would think they would make great donor vehicles for swaps. Good luck with the rest of the project.

When you build the 700r4, will you go with kevlar or brass?

Thanks guys, I plan on selling the 700R4 soon. I am having the flange made right now for the custom header I am making so I can move the hy35 turbo up higher. I need more clearance so I can fit the HX52 below the hy35 and still clear the steering shaft. The twins will probably help the 700R4 get to its final resting place so I will be trying to sell it imediately after I get the twins in good working order. I still plan on going with a 5 or 6 spd auto and am still looking at the 5R110 trans for the overall size and gear ratios of it. I thought of the allison but its too big and heavy.

Right now I need to get the new custom one off injectors installed, start haveing the custom injection pump built, make the header and plumb the twins in. I will then have to get to work on making a custom one off trans adapter for the ford bolt pattern which I may start selling since these swaps seem to be fairly popular and the only adapter I know of that is sold is one for the gm trannies.

I will be postiing pics of the new injectors, turbo, and header flange and piping soon.

Stay tuned
Randy

I thought Sun Coast made those adaptors? Might want to give them a call before go through all that trouble.

....Thinking small, why not a 47? I know a few folks that can build them right. I'd guess that tall gears would do just as well in that truck as a 5 or 6 speed not to mention it would probably be faster with only 4 gears.

Here is a pic of the 700r4 TV linkage I have had lots of questions about.

As u can see I have the TV cable coming from the 700r4 forward and up by the intake then back to the shift linkage. The arm measures 3.5" and is just welded to the factory throttle linkage. This arrangement allows the TV cable to travel exactly 1.5" from fully closed to fully open throttle, which is what you need to make the 700R4 shift properly.