Inline ISUZU into Ford almost complete!!

I dont have it on the road yet but it will be soon. I could have it on the road as soon as monday but I have my daughter this weekend and all other things stop when we are together. I only have to install the air intake and bleed the brakes to be able to take it around the block on a maiden test drive.

I did get the new shocks mounted and the new rear axle installed yesterday just a couple more things to mark off the list. I should be posting a video of the thing driving soon if all goes well.

Duro2damaxi......?

Wow...... I never knew you were so blithe to your own knowledge? You build Diesel, Isuzu at that, and yet you repeal your own adoration? Strange Ben, very off-the-wall comment. I thought you had some decent charater, all snide I guess.

Hello again folks, I havent posted any updates here due to being pretty busy, I am also thinking most on this site dont really care for different conversions :D oh well I will post some updates for those who care.

Here is a shot of the engine bay as it sits currently, I changed the alternator to a smaller version for intake clearance, installed an 06 duramax air intake assembly(slightly modded to fit),made an electric fan shroud out of aluminum, put a new master cylinder on.

Here is the 2003 ford ranger 17 gal fuel tank, I had to modify and reinfoce the crossmmeber a good bit to make it sit level but it was worth it to get the in cab tank out.

The custom made aluminum sending unit

The rear axle has been gone threw and now has new discs and calipers,clutchs,synthetic fluid(not in pic) along with the sway bar being attached and everything is coated in por-15

This is the much smaller alternator, here you can see why I had to swap out the larger cased unit. Just not much room.

I welded the exaust out of 3.5" steel mandrel bends from the local truck store, The down pipe is just a 4" flange and 90 degree that knecks down to 3.5". I am only using a morosso spiral muffler to kill the sound and it does help a good bit but I am considering using a hushpower muffler along with it. I have also since this pic wrapped 2 layers of header wrap on over half the exhaust to keep heat out of the cab and boy does that stuff work great. I also coated the other half with por20 and its working great so far...

Here is the eletric fan setup I made out of 1/8" aluminum. I found the fans on a 1998 mercury sable and am using a spal fan controller to run them both. I have been driving with this setup for most of the month of june and the fans almost never come on even in 100 degree texas heat. I ccould have went with just one fan looking back on it now, oh well i guess that leaves a backup.

Here is the temporary wiring setup that is required to run the engine.This will all be going in a nice little ABS plastic box later. The box on the left is for fan control, and the 3 relays are for number 2 fan, starter relay, and shutdown relay thats it nothing to it. I will be also cleaning up all the wiring this week sinnce my new 21 circuit harness will be here so I can do the whole truck.

here is a shot of the electric fan setup in the engine bay.

The 2004 F150 spare tire carier I installed, I know this seems kinda lame but its a big improvement over the old spare tire carrier.

A shot of the 07 front suspension with the sway bar finally installed.

coating the cab floor in por-15

covering the floor in dynamat,I still have a few more layers of things for the floor and firewall to help make this truck as quiet as possible and insulated well.

here is my first attempt at an instrument panel,I made it all out of steel and fiberglass. This is before the final sanding and paint.

I will be using this panel though, it was my second attemt and once polished up a little it will look better with the interior I will be going with. I am going to make a new one so the top line is straighter and the holes fit the gauges a little better

Thats about it for now, I have been out in east texas working for the past week so I havnt gotten anything done really. I have ordered a bunch of goodies and they will be sitting at home when I get there this week so I will be very busy getting it all installed. I have a complete chassis harness to install, a new shifter,the vintage air a/c system, I have to make a center console, and much more.The most important things to do is get the wiring done so it will pass inspection then its off to get registered and daily driven.WOOOHOOOO. bring on the 30+ mpg.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention I have been driving it alot around the backroads by my house( at least 1hour everyday I am home) and am still playing with the fuel. I still only have a small amount of light grey smoke at startup so I am thinking I need to keep turning it up, this thing is suprisingly quick for what it is. Bring on the twins:D

Randy

Last edited:
Looks great, only second to the '92-'97 Ford, you have my favorite body style Ford. I have a 1970 Crew Cab to build when I get my '94 finished. Hopefully the '70 won't rot away first. How loud is that engine underhood compared to a 4bt?

"Hello again folks, I havent posted any updates here due to being pretty busy, I am also thinking most on this site dont really care for different conversions oh well I will post some updates for those who care."

I'll be there is more interest than you think :)

I myself am very interested cause I'd like to do the same swap into a short wide chevy or maybe an S-10 if the engine would fit.

PLEASE KEEP US POSTED ON THE UPDATES!!!

VERY INTERESTED IN WHAT YOU GET FOR MILEAGE

thanks

I know I'm interested, this is looking like it's going to be a killer truck.

How did you adapt the engine to that trans , are there adapters available??

you can get an adapter for a GM trans from isuzudieselswapper.com. So far the little truck drives nice. I raced a buddies stock 06 single cab long bed 2500 dodge with cummins and auto and from stop to about 1/4 mile my little ford left him in the dust, did it twice to verify. and from 70mph to 95mph it will inch away from him. I am also getting around 30mpg right now so I am happy with it. :D

Very nice work.
Looks like you spent some time thinking about the swap before throwing parts around.

So far the little truck drives nice. I raced a buddies stock 06 single cab long bed 2500 dodge with cummins and auto and from stop to about 1/4 mile my little ford left him in the dust, did it twice to verify. and from 70mph to 95mph it will inch away from him. I am also getting around 30mpg right now so I am happy with it. :D

Wow that right there alone makes the swap & all the work worth it. Just think you are getting better mpg then a 1/4 ton truck & are quicker & bigger then em too. Great work, very clean swap. Any clue what it will dyno at?

I have no idea what it will dyno at but I am hoping for around 250rwhp or so. I will find out this month when I take it to the dyno, I am hoping to take it around the middle of the month. I will try and get some video of the dyno and post a sheet. I will also post some more pics up of recent things I have done and maybe some video. I sure am suprised by the response I have been getting and am very happy about it. Thanks everyone.

yeah man lets see that thing run i like these conversions

Thanks everyone, I got it registered,insured, and inspected, everything went well and I took it for a 120 mile drive around the dallas/fort worth area. So far I have been through a tank of fuel and its getting great mpg and is fairly quick for what it is. I finally figured out why I have a high idle, it was so simple I feel like an idiot but i guess I cant do it all. :O I also weighed the truck today it came in at 3860 with a full tank of fuel. I am happy with the weight and am figuring on about 4000 pounds with the a/c system, radio and carpeting, heck this thing weighs about as much as most cars ,not too bad.