Intake Manifold Design

Yeah, I do know the speed of sound changes as temperature rises and falls. However I am thinking the wave reflection itself being pressurized does it act in the same manner as a N/A would at the point of reflection or does is change, sine?, I think its called. I haven't come to much of anything on this thought yet. A reflection on a closed end compared to a reflection on an open end within the induction system.

the real question is does it really matter - intake design, like header design - even if you could do it perfect, only works for a very narrow rpm band - for which no motor seems to stay at or in, as much or as long as it does getting there, and back again to idle
Packaging will dictate your design more than anything else will.
with the cummins - you have a pump in the way to do a really good job of intake design that doesnt compromise at least three ports, and the head already has two compromised ports 1&6 , by casting design.
I think one of the first posts here in this thread had it right - get it in - get it out
The rest is just theoretical what ifs, that one could spend thousands of dollars in R&D on and get little or no real return, cuz the few hp you might gain after all of that isnt likely gonna win a pull as tires are already the limiting factor in most instances
You could get more hp easier by ditchin the alternator, waterpump, and power steering pumps

Very true, but this portion of the forum being "extreme" engine tech I see it fitting to think about. I suppose before all else in the system of a diesel engine, get air in and get air out is going to be good enough until the tunability with these engines has evolved more.

What could happen if we can cram 'this much' more air into the cylinder with a wave tuned? Exercising your Innovation It could go any way within the limits of the engine components. I don't worry about gains with removal of parasitic drag those are a given, if you run drags, circle track, off road, roadcourse or pullin' you want to tune it finer for the application, some tune more than others. Track surface condition alone can alter your tire's traction patch and carcas/tread and sidewall reaction even if you have your pressures and tread design 'optimum'. If anything we are trying to beat the surface the competition is being held on, dirt or pavement.

My point is R&D conducted at any level is beneficial which I am sure anyone in the automotive world that is involved with testing. Learning can be expensive going down either path of climbing to the top or destruction itself. If we don't push the envelope, we don't make performance or quality innovations at any level stock or high powered at any point of any vehicle. The whole vehicle is a compromise if you step back and look. Like you said Seeker.

Packaging will dictate your design more than anything else will.

You are very far from the truth; the proof is that the major pulling engine shops are spending tens of thousands of dollars on intake manifold development. Simply put if you don’t think that an intake manifold and cylinder head doesn’t make significant hp gains your years behind. There are still big gains in ring package and cams profiles as well. On pulling engine intake development, I see the results at ZZ’s shop. Each generation of manifold development makes more proven power then the last. I have been doing the same on cam development, and the proven power is there on every change
I have been working on extreme engine development for the last 25 years. I see the diesel engine development about where we were 25 to 30 years ago and I see it catching up over the next 3 or 4 years with the mainstream people getting involved with diesel. I remember when I saw the first BBC aftermarket cylinder head from Brodex. This was about 25 years ago and we were extremely excited about the potential of that head. I have one of those old BBC heads and its junk by today’s standards and I use it as a door stop. There are Duramax cylinder heads from two mainstream manufactures in the testing stage now. Want a see with 350 cfm Call Chris Franks at Frankenstein he is working on design of one of those.

I saw a Dmax intake manifold that Hogan built for a puller. I saw it at the winter nationals we pitted next to them. It’s a total work of art and it will make gains, it was extremely expensive and will be covered to keep prying eyes out. I know who the shop is that bought it and their playing for keeps. There are lots of people that like to copy Greg’s stuff at ZZ and that’s fine, but most of those copies are 4 or 5 generations old. I know that the people paying for the latest that Greg builds hide the attributes of what’s inside from prying eyes as well. There are people that ask why I don’t reveal the numbers on my cams, same reason. Some will say they want to compare, the answer is to use what is making the big hp and trust the person grinding for you. I absolutely spend more time on cam development and R&D then anyone in the diesel world. The proof is in the power.

. I am not going to argue with anyone, but I will add to this thread if the kidos stay off of it.

Last edited:
Greg- you are a joke to drag racing. You and Wade are in the exact same boat. You have been kicked off or removed from every 'race program' that you have been involved with. Now you are on your own, begging and pleading for sponsors. Go crawl back in your cave.

Greg- you are a joke to drag racing. You and Wade are in the exact same boat. You have been kicked off or removed from every 'race program' that you have been involved with. Now you are on your own, begging and pleading for sponsors. Go crawl back in your cave.

What is your hang up with me, you seem to show up on any thread I post in. As to being fired from any diesel program, you are absolutely a liar about that, and you know it, name one, and I will get Tim Turner on the phone with that person to dispel your lies. I’ll put $1000 in Tim Turners hands if you will put the same $1000. And if any one says I was fired, asked to leave or anything like that you get the money, if not I get the money. This includes Mike woods who has set you and your buddy’s straight on several occasions, and Gale Banks who doesn’t speak out of school to anyone, and Kirk Manuel who financed my competition eliminator and Super Stock program, along with Project X I am still friends with all of them and speak to them often. I will do a conference call with each one with Tim on the phone; he can ask any question he wants.

So put your money where your mouth is big boy, or STFU we are all tired of it

You are the reason this forum gets about 5% of the post it used to, so in effect you are not even relevant any more. This thread is not your personal place to promote you agenda
Now if you have something relevant to this discussion, post away

as to my programs , I have quite a few sponsers and all the money I need , come to Thunder in Muncie and see for your self

Last edited:
When's that dragster of yours coming out for a debut? You have been threatening for years now...

I'm friends with some gasser guys in Houston who run a small shop. They were suprised that I knew who you were. They told me a story about you getting sideways with another drag racer and him telling you ' cross this line, and I'll cut your throat'. Do you remember such a incident? I thought it was great and hilarious.

Sure, get all of the old 'race programs' that you were involved in on the phone, and lets let THEM do the talking.

When's that dragster of yours coming out for a debut? You have been threatening for years now...

I'm friends with some gasser guys in Houston who run a small shop. They were suprised that I knew who you were. They told me a story about you getting sideways with another drag racer and him telling you ' cross this line, and I'll cut your throat'. Do you remember such a incident? I thought it was great and hilarious.

Sure, get all of the old 'race programs' that you were involved in on the phone, and lets let THEM do the talking.

there are always storys, but there are people that don't like you as well
if your telling the truth , then its easy money for you ,

So big boy put you money where your mouth is or STFU

Wade#2- I'm also pretty sure that Tim is busy, and doesn't have a few hours to devote to you and your ramblings of how you have 'been there and done that' and you are the King of All Diesels. Just trying to keep the noobs away and let the facts and past experiences be a warning.

When's the dragster coming out? We've been hearing 'just a few more months' for a while, what calendar do you run on up there? Have you made a pass yet? There are a few events planned, literally in your back yard, and I didn't see you there. Were you busy playing with your fire truck?

Motor is together and going in the car this week. The car is plumbed, wired, powder coated and painted. It’s takes a lot of money to put it together right, I have right at $100,000 in it. I’m not trying to just go down the track but to be the fastest. The Dr Performance truck took almost two years and over $20,000 of my own money, I worked on it by myself in the back of RayMac, in a spot I rented from Ray. I spent close to that on Project X diesel as well, out of my own pocket. Remember I’m a fire fighter not a multimillion dollar company.
So here is a few pictures because you asked, and one more time put up or STFU

IMAG1342_zps09bcb20b.jpg

IMAG1347_zpsf8cd5b9a.jpg

539266_4309734396031_1596199183_n_zps054a6a2a.jpg

And here is what a $10,000 worth of Industrial injection Pumps and a 55% drive and a lot of fittings and hoses looks like

601262_4566566478039_560940332_n_zps292b8e9c.jpg

The car with a 210 lbs driver and with everthing acounded for at race weight its 1758 lbs

Last edited:
Those are all old pictures that you have posted before, nice try. Keep skirting around all my questions like a little girl, it's fine, I'll keep asking them. The truth will set you free, Greg.

Also, while I'm calling you out on your previous lies, you said that you helped design the header that you sell on your website. Greg at PolyDyn here in Houston designed and makes it, so how do you claim that one?

Last edited:
Those are all old pictures that you have posted before, nice try. Keep skirting around all my questions like a little girl, it's fine, I'll keep asking them. The truth will set you free, Greg.

you are the one who can't tell, or doesn't know the truth , and the pictures show the car is completed , I wired and plumber it myself setting in my trailer beside my house, The hoses are from yesterday. I spend a few hours a day when I’m off and not fighting fires. Why don’t you show us some of your handy work, other than just a keyboard hero?

The problem with you is your insistence of mucking up any thread for your personal entertainment. Big reason for the low post count on this forum. Ask yourself every time you post, are you adding to the thread ,

Also, while I'm calling you out on your previous lies, you said that you helped design the header that you sell on your website. Greg at PolyDyn here in Houston designed and makes it, so how do you claim that one?

show me where I have, I have had Imput with Carl the owner of Polydyne, who is a sponser on the dragster, and a good freind of mine. and those headers are not built in Houston.
but Ill add Carl to that list . so time to put your money up

Last edited:
You spread these lies and continue to repeat them hoping everyone will believe them

One last time keyboard racer and liar put you money where your mouth is or STFU.

Or if you do not want to do that I will have my attorney serve you with malicious libel and slander suit.

You decision

Last edited:
Or if you do not want to do that I will have my attorney serve you with malicious libel and slander suit.

You decision

Sneak peak into the future of that meeting with your attorney:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ifgj8WXp8w"]Jackie Chiles - The Coffe Case (el caso del café) - YouTube[/ame]

Greg - no one is arguing that one cant find HP in an intake or any other engine part if you spend enough time at it - and you made my point for me - they spend 10s upon 10s of thousands of dollars to find it.

The theory, formulas and engineering are out there for all of it - it is the dyno time and countless fabrication(s) that isnt easy to come by.

My other point was that to see several posters regurgitate and what if about what they read somewhere, isnt useful in my experience as they have no first hand experience having never applied nor understood, any of what they read or heard as evidenced by the more than a few of the posts here. Never mind that most of the examples/pictures given here would seem to fly in the face of known and proven design parameters.

Now - if someone were to take any one of the current popular engines, and apply all of the regurgitation of theory in this thread and produce concrete design and analysis from a design that can be reasonably packaged in a vehicle - that would be useful, and worthy of discussion on how to improve it if possible - in this "Extreme" engine discussion.

For example - use Solid Works, or similar program and design a working prototype on paper with some provability by nature of the program used. But even that adventure woudl take too many hours, and cost a lot of money between the program and the time expended... again my point - that the first guy here had it right - get it in, get it out. as best you can with what you have to work with

.03 ..... inflation dont ya know

Last edited:
COMPY!!!

We Greg since your going to Muncie why don't you race me???? Now I know i'm not in your "caliber" but I would be happy to knock that dicky do sideways! I don't have the fancy stuff you have or your years of racing but I would give it a go. I'm just a old bracket racer trying to go a few rounds. I just mite let me son race you with his JR because i'm sure just like last year you will be doing a lot of talk and not much racing. Mr. underwood I would love to hear that story sometime! Greg doesn't much act like he wants to talk about it. lol