Intake manifold design

Running the outside material down to the bottom then putting sleeves in would cause the material to be below the port floor. You didn't say what material your going to use.
.5 isnt very thick by the time you weld 32" and machine it flat .

Running the outside material down to the bottom then putting sleeves in would cause the material to be below the port floor. You didn't say what material your going to use.
.5 isnt very thick by the time you weld 32" and machine it flat .

6061-t6 sheet. .5 aluminum bolted in less than a 3x6 configuration with a boxed structure welded to it seems like more than enough to me. Very rigid.

Lost me a bit on the port bit of that... You mean there will bd a step up to to port correct?

6061-t6 sheet. .5 aluminum bolted in less than a 3x6 configuration with a boxed structure welded to it seems like more than enough to me. Very rigid.

Lost me a bit on the port bit of that... You mean there will bd a step up to to port correct?

Yes why have a step to the port, .5 on all sides?

just have the turbo dump strait up and have it funnel into the cooler be above the valve covers then dump into the intake. dare to be different.

just have the turbo dump strait up and have it funnel into the cooler be above the valve covers then dump into the intake. dare to be different.

Huh... I'm pressed for space as I'm building my compound VGTs. Will it be efficient enough to replace the intercooler entirely?

I've toyed with the idea of interstage w/a but not non intercooled, w/a only.

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366162544.247946.jpg
Its crude but i spent 30 sec on it.
Air exits turbo
Goes trough cooler
Flows down into head

What did you draw that on...?

I understand the idea, just need to find out where to get an a/w core for less than $150! then i can design that part of it around what cores are available.

yet another crude and very unfinished model. air to water on top. will there be enough hood clearance?

Attachments

• AW 1.jpg
    AW 1.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 0
  • AW 2.jpg
    AW 2.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 0
How thick was your flange then the rest of the material used on your "trough" reno?

I used 5/8 stainless for the flange, 3/4 for the top bar .06 for the side.I used stainless to keep the expansion and cooling cycles as close as possible, alum has a habit of working loose with the cycles.

My worry is stainless warps like no other after welding. Aluminum will expand and contract but will stay relatively flat.

If your warping ss your prolly getting it to hot. Try using the pulse setting if you have one on your tig.

What's the general thoughts on just some regular steel?

Steels fine, the design and usage dictates what material I use in our projects.Alum is the first choice fast easy to weld and machine.Titanium last choice. In mine I had limited space to drill and tap for the plenum bolts just another reason I stayed away from alum. As for warping weld first machine last.

Last edited: