Intake manifold design

This is a section of the manifold, half inch thickness, 3x4.75 bolt holes. The holes are the fixture points and there's 100psi on the sealing surface. The darker red indicates .0217mm of deflection. This isn't even boxed in yet either. I'm really not concerned. The bolts are able to hold 4700lbs of clamping force as well.

puza9uqy.jpg

gutamyry.jpg

How much room is there underneath the hood and on top of the valve covers? My motors out so I have no idea

I don't know, mine was in an s10. I would recommend not routing any piping over the valve covers unless you can easily remove it. My design sucked for valve and head bolt access.

Perfect, I was thinking a 4x12-15x10 for the a/w. the cooler will be held by v-bands, shouldn't be too bad. The water supply and return lines will be on quick connects.

Doing one myself on buddy's non ic first gen using a type 17 frozen boost I believe. I like simple, less piping the better.

This is frustrating.... At cyl one there's only 2.5 of clearance to the insulation and and #4 there's only 4.5". Looks like finding a good sized core is slimming down. How much a difference does a cowl hood make at cyl 1? I'd hate to build this and find out I'll be hoodless

Edit: better yet, what is the suggested area of a core to at least cover what the intercooler would do without using ice, so only a heat exchanger and cooling fans. I'd like this setup to last me my ultimate goal, 1000hp.

Last edited:
I wish I thought of that. Anyone know the properties of aluminum under those temp? Lol

Diggin the solidworks! If you send me the part file I could run it in ANSYS which is able to apply temperature as well as loading. It's almost always more accurate than solidworks as well. But it might take me a while to get to it, super busy right now.

Mechanical properties of 6061-T6 at temperature:

MatWeb - The Online Materials Information Resource

It would take a really long time to get the material up to 500*, especially with ambient air circulating on the outside.

Last edited:
I like the concept, but I don't see how it would work with a 24 valve head unless you went to a top-feed injector.

I'm having a real hard time finding a solution to fit this thing under the hood. There's only about 2.5" to fit a cooler 4.5" at the #1 valve cover. I've looked into one piece 3rd gen noses, which don't exist, cowl hoods, still not enough, and starting to think I may need a body lift which I REALLY want to avoid.

Need some insight on this. Looking less doable on a 2nd gen, and I'm not about to build this setup just to end up a wall ornament.

Run bean style, topless.
You gotta do wheelies though.

Only wheelies ill be seeing is on the bike! I'm not sure if I'd like to run hoodless lol, snow and ice would be a *****

In all seriousness though, I'm stumped. Help, need ideas!

Last edited: