International Coded Block Cummins?

RacinDuallie

Black Sheep Racing
:bow: These are supposed to be a real gem of a block if you can locate one.:evil I thought they were industrial type engines??? Is that true?

And other than the markings on the block, under the front gear case- where would one "look" to distinguish if it's the gem or junk coded block??:poke: :poke:

This coming weekend I am going to look at a 12 valver with a P-pump, that's painted a maroon color and have been told there are a few 'yellow' painted parts on it...:evil I'm keeping my fingers crossed but desire additional info to make sure.....

:lolly: :lolly: Someone HELP!!!! :poke:

Did you mean the Mexican block casting numbers? They're located a few inches back from where the 53 series numbers are located. If that's not what you meant, then I have no idea.

brandno.

No it's not the mexican coded block. . . There's a special casted marking that is only visible when you remove the front gear case.....

Darlington (England) built engines (industrial,marine) are different cylinder block than Dodge is using :evil

I think best block is marine 370, because is most powerful factory engine

When I shipped my engine down to Haisleys to get built I got a call from Van a few days later.

He said that both my block and head were rare...Im thinking...okay..great..now I have to get another engine cause this one sucks!!!!!!

Turns out he said that they were both International Harvester castings that were cast in Indianpolis. Dodge when stocks of there normal castings would get low they would outsource from IH.

He said that these castings are very high in nickle contect making them ideal for the stresses that a high HP pulling motor puts on them. He said that both his and Curts blocks were IH castings and they kind of collect them for pulling purposes....not saying that normal Dodge Cummins castings arn't good!!!!

He did say there is one thing bad about them and can cause problems. Durring the sand casting process of the block there can be air holes that go from the water jackets into the area just above the cam shaft and you can under the great pressure that the cooling system put out durring pulling actually make its way thru these fine pin holes and into the oil pan!!!

For that reason he sent my block out to be presure tested just to make sure this wouldn't happened (not regularly done with the normal castings)

Now there are a few markings on the block/head that you will find. The block is impossible to see untill you take the timing cover case off...there is an IH symbol behind it. The head is easier to see. It is at the rear of the head on the intake side just infront of the engine lift. (real easy to see)

From what I heard is that not often do you find the two IH castings together...mostly they are mixed and matched. So if you see the casting mark on the head it doesn't mean the block is an IH also!!! just a hint of advice before you go braging to your buddies!

Here is a picture (yeah I know its blury) of the casting mark on my head. Like I said its at the back on intake side just infront of the engine lift. It is hard to see in that pic but it is right below where the two valve covers come together just to the left of teh top bolt on the lift!

RyanB

Attachments

• PICT0070_resize.JPG
    PICT0070_resize.JPG
    7 KB · Views: 468
Thanks Ryan!! :ylsuper:
Your reply was just the one I was searching for, and very informative!:bow: LOL
Was that International block:bow: that you have, painted a maroon type color when you recieved it?:poke:

Last edited:
No, it was factory dodge black...just like every other pickup. It was out of a Canadian truck though (1996 Dually). I have never heard of any painted maron...does the colour look like it was factory painted or no?

From what I gather this 12 Valver is an industrial piece, although the person who told me could be wrong, basically I need to see for myself:doh: ....

I wanted to know if there were any other indications that would tip me off, I'll just get it and tear it down and see if I get a suprise....:aiwebs_029: :rockwoot:

I have had my hands on a few industrial 12valves. I used one out of a Hiab Crane for my mock up motor for my conversion. It threw a rod out of the side of the block and a cam lobe (take out by the rod) went flying out the other side.

Who said these cummins were industructable????? This thing was governed at 2200rpm and probably sat there all day long! what happend to it though actually was a rod bearing seased and the rest of the engine didn't like that!

Now I have never really looked to see the actual casting numbers or marks...I will have to check that out sometime when I have time.

I actually used that 6-speed core its bolted to for my mock up too!

Attachments

• PICT0038_resize.JPG
    PICT0038_resize.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 226
  • PICT0036_resize.JPG
    PICT0036_resize.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 170
  • PICT0039_resize.JPG
    PICT0039_resize.JPG
    13.1 KB · Views: 182
  • PICT0037_resize.JPG
    PICT0037_resize.JPG
    13.9 KB · Views: 124
  • PICT0040_resize.JPG
    PICT0040_resize.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 131
I got thinking about this post again today on my way to work about this morroon block. If it is indeed an industrial engine more than likley its from something like a Genset that was painted with the whole unit. (I have seen that done many times) if you were to pull something off like the engine lift bracket I bet its Cummins beigh under neath.

I work for a trucking company and shipped ALOT of cummins engines up here to Ontario out of Charlotte,NC (cummins plant) and the only colours I ever saw were the Beigh(industrial engines) or white (marine engines).

Personally I would NOT touch one of either if it was used! main reason is that the engines usually only see 1rpm (governed) that one pictured above is a good example of it...it ran at 2200rpm day in, day out. I personally think the best thing for an engine is variable RPM just like what you would find in a Vehical.

Ryan

When I start to build my second engine and I was cleaning the engine block the black paint was coming off very easly and down was yellou/beige paint. Alsou same was the oil pan.
The engine was coming off the 94´ 160hp ram 2500. I will check out are ther eny marks.

Attachments

• engine.JPG
    engine.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 201
Seen the Cummins, Its a 12 Valve 53 coded block, No tag on the side of the gearcase, there was one but it's missing.....

It is marroon in color and it is out of a tractor or something, Gonna grab it sometime soon.
Must leave where its at.

So I'll bring it to the shop and tear it down and see what's up....
I think its a 215 pump on it:ylsuper:

Was told must go, so it'll be gone.:lolly:

Ryan,
you are in southern ont. i am in Mississauga where are you at?

Scott

PS sorry to hi-jack the tread

We had a 98 12V in the shop a few weeks ago for a Piers cam and it was an International block. Was the first one we have seen before. We are in the process of building into 600HP for the guy. Good to know they have seen problems with coolant getting into the oil... Might have to trim fins on the water pump to keep pressure down at 4k+ rpm.

Graphic Man said:
Ryan,
you are in southern ont. i am in Mississauga where are you at?

Scott

PS sorry to hi-jack the tread

Kitchener/Waterloo area. Drop me a PM either here or on the TDR!!!

RyanB

Dunno if this is of any use...but International had an Inline 6 that was the DT360, which was essentially the same engine as the cummins, bigger block i think...not sure. i do know however the DT360 also had a P7100 Bosch pump as well.....:evil

Dom

Anyone else know about these IH engines? I am building one now and seen the marks, but did not make anything of them until I read this. I have the engine together, but not in the truck yet. Its going into a Ford. It came from a 1998 3500. It has the marks on the head and block. Should I look for something?

Attachments

• IMG_031911.jpg
    IMG_031911.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 325
Last edited:
bags,
looks like an IH block to me.

The Mexican blocks will have what looks like a stepped pyramid cast into the front of the block.

TwiztedMetal said:
Dunno if this is of any use...but International had an Inline 6 that was the DT360, which was essentially the same engine as the cummins, bigger block i think...not sure. i do know however the DT360 also had a P7100 Bosch pump as well.....:evil

Dom

The DT360 has almost nothing in common with a Cummins of any kind...

IH used the P-pump on several engines, as did a lot of other manufacturers.

RacinDuallie said:
Seen the Cummins, Its a 12 Valve 53 coded block, No tag on the side of the gearcase, there was one but it's missing.....

It is marroon in color and it is out of a tractor or something, Gonna grab it sometime soon.
Must leave where its at.

So I'll bring it to the shop and tear it down and see what's up....
I think its a 215 pump on it:ylsuper:

Was told must go, so it'll be gone.:lolly:

Does it have a constant speed, or automotive type governor, on it?