International Coded Block Cummins?

Well then, I have the International block too! (and to think I was in denial about an IH symbol being on my block LOL!)
And if I'm not mistaken, the head was as well.. It was cast in the USA (actually both my trucks had heads cast in the USA) and I think I saw the IH symbol on that as well. I don't run the IH head anymore as its cracked beyond repair I think.

I dont have any IH symbols but when I went to do my KDP I noticed that behind where my balancer was and behind the oil fill tube that it was yellow like spray paint has anyone else noticed this or is this just normal??

So what I gather from this thread is... all you Cummins guys want the IH block.. talk about Irony....LOL

97' CTD said:
I dont have any IH symbols but when I went to do my KDP I noticed that behind where my balancer was and behind the oil fill tube that it was yellow like spray paint has anyone else noticed this or is this just normal??

Thats just the old ugly Cummins color.. Mine has (HAD) that as well.

wideopen said:
So what I gather from this thread is... all you Cummins guys want the IH block.. talk about Irony....LOL
LOL LOL

TwiztedMetal said:
Dunno if this is of any use...but International had an Inline 6 that was the DT360, which was essentially the same engine as the cummins, bigger block i think...not sure. i do know however the DT360 also had a P7100 Bosch pump as well.....:evil

Dom

You'd know if it was an IH 360... that pig is damn near as big as the 466

The international parts were the first used in dodges. How do I know?? George Cobb has the oldest ram with a Cummins in it that Ive seen, and we all know how well the little red express runs.

Just took a look at my original head (its sitting in the corner of the shop)
It is also an IH casting.. Looks like I too have the rare combo of 2 IH Cummins castings!

Anyone else know about these IH engines? I am building one now and seen the marks, but did not make anything of them until I read this. I have the engine together, but not in the truck yet. Its going into a Ford. It came from a 1998 3500. It has the marks on the head and block. Should I look for something?

I just disassembled my 98 12V Cummins and I found same INternational symbol behind front cover and it is STORM block.

Also every conrod had stange symbols, tomorrow I try to make some pictures.

I have 4 blocks and all they are made in different country:
1. my 98 Storm -> made in US
2. '85 truck -> made in Canada
3. '02 Strom --> made in Mexico
4. '89 industrial -> made in GB

The engines made in NC are made at the Rocky Mountain if I remember correctly, I was approached to several times about a job there, but was to to stay away, as the place there was outdated and a dump. As far as the IH being better blocks, I had heard this too and did some snooping around with some of my cummins contacts, and navistar contacts. They said that the metallurgy of the castings is basically identical, and if there is a difference it was small enough to not make a difference.

This confirmed my hunch in manufacturing if your using both in house and outsourced parts. If the oursourced parts are made of a harder metal it will eat the tooling up faster than the in house parts. What do you think cummins would have said to that? They would have pushed the increased tooling cost back to navistar and navistar would have changed their metallurgical mix ASAP.

my current 91 has the ih casting marks and as far as i know its an original engine in the truck

my buddy at cummins said that those blocks are navistar\international block and that they arent anything special just cast by IH

I have a 370 marine engine and the block looks the same is there somethin better about it?

JUst happened to poke across this thread . For those who don't know Storm stands for:

S Standard
T Thread
O O
R Ring
M Metric

So i should hang onto this head i bought a couple of weeks ago? Has an international casting mark on the head, and didnt think anything of it until now.

Only thing different that you have to remember is that the valve stem seals are different than that of a regular 12v. They are a bit larger ID around the guide.

Glory part about the block is if you have a 98 then a 24valve head can be swapped in on the block . WaLa 24v P/pump.

But none the less they are good blocks and heads.

Last edited:
I have been tinkering with a '95 engine and it definately has an IH head here's a pic of the IH logo on the head:

HPIM0889-1.jpg

The interesting thing is a pattern of small bumps on the block next to the starter under the fuel lift pump:

HPIM0870.jpg

I can't say I've seen this on any other block. Anone have any ideas what this means??

Here is a pic of Internatioanl block. My block and head are both IH. MAXTORQ took this pic while tearing down and building my super awesome engine.
31.jpg

I also discovered that I have an IH block in my 94. Very informitave thread guys.

Fireman450