Is a ats compound set up what i need ?

HEAVYHITR

I SEE A GUY LISTING A ATS COMPOUND SET UP WITH ARURORA 2K AND 5K TURBOS .

I DO ALOT OF CAR HAULING WITH A 3 CAR WEDGE TOTALING 27KLBS

I NEEN MORE LOW END POWER .SO FAR I INSTALLED A 4" WITH A BIGGER MUFFLER AND NO CAT ,A ATS INTAKE MANIFOLD AND GRID HEATER DELETE .AND A COLD AIR INTAKE AND ALSO A H&S TUNER .

NEXT I WANT TO BUY A FUEL SYSTEM MAYBE AIRDOG ? ANY RECOMONDATIONS ? SEEMS SINCE I DID THE EXAUST MY EGTS GO UP ALOT FASTER THAN THE STOCK EX AND REASON ? I THOUGHT IT WOULD DROP EGT'S .I BOUGHT A SNOW METH SYSTEM BUT HAVEN'T INSTALLED YET .

THIS IS A 06 5.9 2WD DUALLY QUAD CAB . THANKS IN ADVANCE .:tree:

Matters what you want to do..
Not sure if you are stick or Auto..
Sounds like you already have some type of guages if you are stating EGTs are higher now..

If Auto I would think some upgrades there would make the biggest difference for you. The Stock trans/Convertors are terrible in the Dodges.

You need to decide on some type of programmer. Many on this site will say Smarty and is a very good choice. Better if you add UDC which is software that allows many additional settings to make the Tunes more what you specifically want.Being a 2006 year you can also go with the EFI Live tuner but will most likely wnat to have a Speed SHop provide this service for you. Many speak very well of the EFI Live tunes but it is a software application that would take a regular user a looonngg time to learn how to use this safely/effectively.

Sorry for the long post..
1-guages
2-2 micron fuel filter
3-Fuel pump upgrades (Airdog I like)
4-Trans upgrades
5-Some programmer
6-Twins would be GREAT but you can make some serious HP/Tq with stock depending on your goals.

I wouldn't buy anything that has ATS on it. But compounds are the way to go for towing.

Last edited:
To improve your powerband down low a good towing cam is the way to go.

I just had trans done with triple disc conv and goerend vb and deep pan and imput shaft .

This guy has this twin setup for sale and was thinkin it might be a good way to go ? Said it was said to make around 700hp ? Stk inj with a cp3 pump and smarty and tst ? Stacked ?

I'm not a fan of that ATS crap either but if its a deal then go for it.

But I would ditch the h&s. and get a smarty UDC or efi live first. You'll be amazed at what tuning differance that will be.

Sounds like you have the Trans convered.

Get you a good lift pump.

Possibly a modded FCA/rear cover from T&C diesel will help as well. Along with Todd's rail relief valve.

Then a set of quick spooling twins. Which is what I'll be doing shortly on my 03.

Might want to stuff a Garrett gt4202 under your stocker. New Turbochargers : Detroit Series 60 Turbocharger 23528059 Garrett 714792-0002 714792-5002S

I SEE A GUY LISTING A ATS COMPOUND SET UP WITH ARURORA 2K AND 5K TURBOS .

I DO ALOT OF CAR HAULING WITH A 3 CAR WEDGE TOTALING 27KLBS

I NEEN MORE LOW END POWER .SO FAR I INSTALLED A 4" WITH A BIGGER MUFFLER AND NO CAT ,A ATS INTAKE MANIFOLD AND GRID HEATER DELETE .AND A COLD AIR INTAKE AND ALSO A H&S TUNER .

NEXT I WANT TO BUY A FUEL SYSTEM MAYBE AIRDOG ? ANY RECOMONDATIONS ? SEEMS SINCE I DID THE EXAUST MY EGTS GO UP ALOT FASTER THAN THE STOCK EX AND REASON ? I THOUGHT IT WOULD DROP EGT'S .I BOUGHT A SNOW METH SYSTEM BUT HAVEN'T INSTALLED YET .

THIS IS A 06 5.9 2WD DUALLY QUAD CAB . THANKS IN ADVANCE .:tree:

caps_off.jpg

caps_on.jpg

Compounds rule for towing. No problems with ATS turbos here.

Your Cummings doesn't have glow plugs. That light on your dash used to signal when your grid heater was glowing red hot to heat the air in your intake. Since you deleted it, there is no sense in waiting for the light to go off...

IIRC an ats 2k over a 5k is a pretty small setup. You can go a long ways with your stock charger over a box unit s475. If you go that route enlarge your waste gate port.

With compounds ( twins) you need the secondary or top turbo to be wastegated.
No ats stuff allowed on my property.

How hot are you running the H&S? Towing with the unit turned to kill will be your EGT issue, I would guess.

My experience with ATS products was very good. They are a little on the pricey side but this was the only setup that worked with my factory jacobs exhaust brake on my 06. I ran the stock turbo over the aurora 6000(s475). It pulled hard and drove great and just with flux 2.5. pegged a 60lb boost gauge. I think for what you are doing this would be a good setup for you. The fit and finish of the kit was very good and install was not bad either.

There was a complete write up here a couple years ago. The guy did two trucks with two different "tow twins". The ATS and the BD. I remember the ATS was said to be top notch install, parts, performance over the BD kit.
I would use your stocker over a 475 like mentioned before. You could also look on Sourceautomotive.biz and motorsportsdiesel.com and source your own parts. I would definantly build my own next time after seeing what is all available to "do it yourself".
good luck

On Edit:
Here ya go, PM Rich at Doghouse Diesel. He could give you a good insight.
ATS vs BD.....you decide - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

Last edited:
How hot are you running the H&S? Towing with the unit turned to kill will be your EGT issue, I would guess.

I usually run it on wild ,but have tried it on mild (which seams weak ) and then stock .damn thing blows alot of smoke on wild .you can really notice it at nite .

I had all the stuff on but the exaust and when it was installed i noticed it would raise the egts alot .especially when you wind it up , i figured gettin rid of the cat and restrictive exaust would do the oposite!:tree:

You need smarty SSR/UDC or EFI Live for tuning.

You need smarty SSR/UDC or EFI Live for tuning.

is efi live a tuner? i keep hearing this lately .

this guy with the compound for sale said he had a smarty and stacked a tst on top . what are the benifits ?

a guy who works on these told me to get the h&s ,for what it cost i could have bought both !

i'm sure it has capabilites that i'm not taking advantage of,like fuel adj and inj timing ? i see they make a trans program that turns off some torque governer ? another 95.00 :doh: