Is a Cam really worth it

thats why some state if you dont use the proper lubricants you have no warrenty and are taking a gamble

forget about "diesel" cams, there are many big name world famous companies that have been around for decades and want zinc and/or a good oil, do you think its been from poor design and development too?

Maybe I should have picked a better choice of words and not used "poor" . I guess what Im getting at, are aftermarket cams not being produced to the same quality levels as oem? There has to be some kind of hardness standard they specify, oem and aftermarket? Oem seems to be holding up well to todays oils. Why is aftermarket different? Is it because of the added lift or the manufacturing process? And back to an earlier question, is there any thing that can be done to help? Micro polishing, some type of coating? I dont know chit about this stuff. :what: Just trying to make an informed decision on worth buying a cam or not.

tapatalking from droidx

I believe you are comparing apples to oranges.

You disagree that a ported head & RR won't free up some HP???

I'm talking about making things a little more efficient, with less friction, what are you talking about? Some magical head flow/cam lift formula.

This whole thread is about how a Diesel cam is different than a gas cam then you want to talk SB N/A cams. I am apparently missing your point.

What's your ported head flow? Will it benifit from more lift? Are you spending the money on parts and moving parts for any gain? A diesel cam is no different then a gas cam at it's core. An engine is an air pump. Period. Doesn't matter if it's diesel, gas, CNG or propane. It's main purpose is to PUMP AIR. So, by taking readily available numbers for an engine, and showing what it can do with x head flow and x cam lift, I was hoping more people could understand or at least relate to how cams and cylinder heads work with eachother to PUMP AIR, with a byproduct being horsepower......

Alright I"m game, what do you recommend their professor?

Here's my combo
06 CR, small twins, Flux 2's, stock cp3 with Arson III kit, head and cam are stock.

I will "try" to understand your recommendation, with my limited intellect. :doh:

Stock head? then, run a cam that has been proven to work with a stock head, something mild most likely. I'm sure Hamilton Cams has a couple that work well with stock heads. Excessive lift and duration is just a waste of time, money and energy with a stock head. If you told me you had a ported head with a big cam and you said you didn't make anymore power then a stock cam, I'd say your ported head is junk.

"Use something that's been proven to work."

WOW! That's genius, why didn't I think of that! (cough, cough, sarcasm)

It seems you are doing nothing but stating the obvious. I though you knew some secret squirrel stuff that was going to wow me. Well you keep trying, someone will be impressed someday...maybe.

I'm sorry I don't have a flow chart for a stock commonrail head handy...... The obvious I am posting seems to be lost on you.

Last edited:
No I'm sorry for messing with you. I should have dropped it, but I felt like sparing a bit.

And yes I get lost sometimes, but not today.

:Cheer:

My posts were meant to help people understand how an engine works and makes power.

Waste of time arguing, they will just bring you down to their level of stupidity and then beat you with experience. Efficiency will never beat out more boost in their minds.

I believe you are comparing apples to oranges.

You disagree that a ported head & RR won't free up some HP???

I'm talking about making things a little more efficient, with less friction, what are you talking about? Some magical head flow/cam lift formula.

This whole thread is about how a Diesel cam is different than a gas cam then you want to talk SB N/A cams. I am apparently missing your point.

Go ahead and buy a $1500 set of rockers and report back on your HP gains. That's the only way I can see to settle this:D

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Go ahead and buy a $1500 set of rockers and report back on your HP gains. That's the only way I can see to settle this:D

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Another armchair quarterback, calling the plays.

An I totally wrong that a set of RR with a different Ratio will not get you more lift, Similar to a cam change???

If I can use professor obvious SB argument, it's been a "Proven" way to make HP in the gas world for some time now. Not exactly the same as a cam swap, but similar.(yes I said it twice so if you missed it the first time maybe you would catch it the second time) Cost wise lets take a $800 cam add a set of lifters, Installation cost, oh and zinc additive or life and what do you get $1500+ easy.

Waste of time arguing, they will just bring you down to their level of stupidity and then beat you with experience. Efficiency will never beat out more boost in their minds.

The thing is I Was talking about efficiency, am I speaking Chinese or something?

An I totally wrong that a set of RR with a different Ratio will not get you more lift, Similar to a cam change???

If I can use professor obvious SB argument, it's been a "Proven" way to make HP in the gas world for some time now. Not exactly the same as a cam swap, but similar.(yes I said it twice so if you missed it the first time maybe you would catch it the second time) Cost wise lets take a $800 cam add a set of lifters, Installation cost, oh and zinc additive or life and what do you get $1500+ easy.

Like I said, if you think its such a good idea go ahead and spend your money on a set.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

The point Steve is making is that if you add the higher ratio rockers, you may be adding lift into, say, 0.600" range. If your head shows no noticeable gains beyond 0.400" valve lift, then the added lift will net you very little gains.

Roller Rockers For Common-Rail Cummins
NGM Diesel Performance has released its billet-aluminum roller rockers for 5.9L and 6.7L Cummins engines. The lightweight rocker arms provide a friction-reducing fulcrum (which utilizes needle bearings), and a roller tip for further friction loss between the rocker and the valve stem. Units are available anodized, or with a plain, aluminum finish. Custom rocker arm ratios are available, and these rockers are reported to be durable enough for street or strip use. NGM Diesel Performance claims stock engines have seen 35hp gains on stock ratio replacements, and modified engines have seen more than 50hp gains.
NGM Diesel Performance
(301) 884-2175
http://www.ngmdiesel.com

Read more: December 2010 Power Products - Diesel Power Magazine

Roller Rockers For Common-Rail Cummins
NGM Diesel Performance has released its billet-aluminum roller rockers for 5.9L and 6.7L Cummins engines. The lightweight rocker arms provide a friction-reducing fulcrum (which utilizes needle bearings), and a roller tip for further friction loss between the rocker and the valve stem. Units are available anodized, or with a plain, aluminum finish. Custom rocker arm ratios are available, and these rockers are reported to be durable enough for street or strip use. NGM Diesel Performance claims stock engines have seen 35hp gains on stock ratio replacements, and modified engines have seen more than 50hp gains.
NGM Diesel Performance
(301) 884-2175
http://www.ngmdiesel.com

Read more: December 2010 Power Products - Diesel Power Magazine

Programs

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk