Is a Cam really worth it

Anyone who has looked into this knows that the cam follower longevity is prone to premature failure, and the roller tip is small enough that it will show no gain, yet add weight. The increase in ratio is the only benefit, and at this point a pad will yield the same results with better durability.

Ron if you are referring to me as "Jesus", that is uncalled for.

I don't mind if you call me names, but this crosses a line.

I won't bother you with anymore of my posts.

Nope.
Was referring to an old favorite at NGM Diesel. I don't know you well enough to insult you.

No I'm sorry for messing with you. I should have dropped it, but I felt like sparing a bit.

And yes I get lost sometimes, but not today.

:Cheer:

:stab: All righty then, self inflicted wounds don't count,carry on

Nope.
Was referring to an old favorite at NGM Diesel. I don't know you well enough to insult you.

Tim, you posted the link to Wade Moody's ( goes by "Diesel Power" on the forums. NGM Diesel) roller rockers.. Thats who they were refering to.

Wades the guy they've banned several times that catches all the chit around here.

Also, RonA is one of the good ones around here. He wasn't going after you.

I know you're a good guy and will vouch for ya.
I however do agree that if you were to spend the money, a cam and head work to match would be better money spent. The rollers would possibly compliment that work also.
But unless you're really goin to step it up to BIG HP with larger turbos, none of it is needed at this point. But hey, It's only money! lol

Last edited:
If I get a chance, I'm going to set up small pump and bypass filter that I can slide under the truck and let run for a couple of hours after i drive it to help filter out the soot without sacrificing oil pressure by installing the bypass filter in the truck.

Diesel Dialisis.....hmmm....

My opinions on an aftermarket cam for a diesel...

It can not be compared with a gas engine cam as far as performance gains for a couple reasons. One is a diesel is direct injected so there is no fuel mixture to put into the equation and second most gassers are NA so a turbo diesel will react completely different.

IMO changing cams to gain hp in a diesel is the wrong way to go about it. You may change the peak hp rpms or broaden the rpm range that makes power but hp gains could be very small or even drop. The gains that are more visible for a street truck is lower egts and quicker spool up if the cam is geared towards that sort of thing.

So just as much power can be made on a stock cam as opposed to an aftermarket, but it may be hotter and smokier.

I have heard that same statement at least a hundred times. In reference to diesel cams in general, and in 99% of all "performance diesel " applications I would have to agree with you.

May I ask which ones you have tried?

I have heard that same statement at least a hundred times. In reference to diesel cams in general, and in 99% of all "performance diesel " applications I would have to agree with you.

May I ask which ones you have tried?

How about replying to all the post earlier in this thread?:shake::lolly:

My opinions on an aftermarket cam for a diesel...

It can not be compared with a gas engine cam as far as performance gains for a couple reasons. One is a diesel is direct injected so there is no fuel mixture to put into the equation and second most gassers are NA so a turbo diesel will react completely different.

IMO changing cams to gain hp in a diesel is the wrong way to go about it. You may change the peak hp rpms or broaden the rpm range that makes power but hp gains could be very small or even drop. The gains that are more visible for a street truck is lower egts and quicker spool up if the cam is geared towards that sort of thing.

So just as much power can be made on a stock cam as opposed to an aftermarket, but it may be hotter and smokier.

I now wonder how much different the cam profiles are on the new direct injected, turbocharged gas engine compared to multi-port, naturally aspirated engines...

Sent from my rooted Velocity Ally

Tim, you posted the link to Wade Moody's ( goes by "Diesel Power" on the forums. NGM Diesel) roller rockers.. Thats who they were refering to.

Wades the guy they've banned several times that catches all the chit around here.

Also, RonA is one of the good ones around here. He wasn't going after you.

I know you're a good guy and will vouch for ya.
I however do agree that if you were to spend the money, a cam and head work to match would be better money spent. The rollers would possibly compliment that work also.
But unless you're really goin to step it up to BIG HP with larger turbos, none of it is needed at this point. But hey, It's only money! lol

David
OK thanks for clearing that up, I didn't realize that was Wade's link. That explains a lot. My formal apologies to Ron. :Cheer:

I guessing that the low rpm"s of these diesels makes the friction savings of RR minimal, compared to gas? Is that why the consensus is they are a waste of $? I am seriously asking for explanations this time. I may be wrong, but I do feel that there are vast differences in a turbo motor vs. N/A.

As far as my truck, you are right, i'm pretty well done with it. However if I ever have to have the head off I will likely do a mild port job, and take care of those freeze plugs, valve seats, and do some springs, just for piece of mind.

I can try explaining it differently. An engines ability to pump air is called volumetric efficiency. Volumetric efficiency can only be changed by camshaft and cylinder head design. A more efficient engine will make more power. Period. VE does not care if your engine is diesel or gas or NA or turbocharged. So if a cam change will make your engine more efficient? Why wouldn't you do it?

Last edited:
I killed my hamilton cam early this year. Zach said it failed due to low zinc content.
Id like to know how many folks had failures and were or were not using a ZDDP additive when the cam failed.
Apparently its crucial with more load coming from heavy springs and higher lift. Only other way around it is a roller cam. I found nothing for a mild setup or DD though, only a setup meant for full-on race use.
Would be nice if I could be more sure about all this and Im not putting snake oil in my crank each time I do an oil change..
Got about 20k before the failure. Guess Ill find out in another 20k!

Last edited: