Locker vrs welded rear

Lostnwalmart

What would be the benefits of either on a drag/street toy? I'm leaning more towards a locker but a welded rear is so much cheaper. Is Detroit still a good locker in the Dana 70's?

I have no experience with either, but I know the cheaper lockers don't hold up well to racing, and I've heard people go both ways with welding it.

For brands, I've heard nothing but good about detroit and auburn. Hang out around pirate4x4 for a day, you'll learn a lot about them.

Take what I say with a grain of salt, I'm sub'd now so I can learn too :D

detroits are some of the best lockers IMO,

the things you have to worry about are turning, locking/unlocking, and possible weld breakage destroying the ring and pinion potentially

as for turning, a detroit will pretty much stay locked as long as there is throttle applied

arb_air_locker35_enl.jpg

Quit *****ing about money and buy it. I know what you spent on that SOB this week, and its more than this costs. LOL

Imo you dont wont a welded or spooled rear if your ever going to b on the street detroits are great pieces but the selectables are the best of both worlds

Lol Kyle this is true. The arb would also allow me to adjust tire pressure up and down at the track, hmmm ok mind made up.

I would keep a posi in the rear and locker in the front. I like my setup. Very manageable on the track and provides tons of extra traction offroad or in nasty conditions.

Bad things happen when the weld breaks...speaking of that does anyone have a open D80 carrier? :rockwoot:

I like my welded 80. Its claimed one axle already and shows no signs of going anywhere. Not the best street manners in the world but driveable when it was driven.

If my ratty weld job is still holding up in the Junker Drag Truck...... it is!..... you should have not problem breaking a professionally welded rear.

As far as NHRA legal, you can't run a welded rear.

Is a welded rear streetable.... yes, I just put 250 street miles on my Junker Drag Truck last week. It's a little sketchy when you make a turn through a wet intersection, but other than that, it drives just fine. It does leave black marks in the parking lot when you make sharp turns and it does howl and screech when you do a u-turn, but on highway, it handles the same.

One last thing, it's a little harder to push your truck on flat ground with a welded rear if the wheels are turned at all. I don't frequently push my truck but occassionally I push it a foot or two in the garage.

If my ratty weld job is still holding up in the Junker Drag Truck...... it is!..... you should have not problem breaking a professionally welded rear.

You don't understand. It's Cliff. He breaks everything. I don't want that phone call asking me to come with a trailer, I live 1100 miles away now. I mean I'd go, but it'd take a while to get there. Last time I walked out of work and said I'm going to Texas I'll see you guys later they didn't believe me. I think this time they will. LOL

I wouldnt buy an auburn i know that! Had an electric one in a jeep the spider gear retainer pin bolt broke the pin cane throught the cover and hit the top of the housing and cracked the diff in half!!

Back