Locker vrs welded rear

A professional weld job will be stronger than any locker but , I would only do it in pleasure vehicles like drags , mudders , etc. I do run lockers in my work trucks and have over 250k miles in both of them and they tow trailers weekly up to 12k lbs and no problemos . They clank around corners but you just gotta round your corners as best as you can .

I welded the rear on my old mud truck with 42's on them and never had a problem and soon will be doing it to the future, project cummins mud truck and should have 47-49" V-treads . I'll be welding the rear and locking the front .

Last edited:
I destroyed my stock limited slip in my Dana 70. Replaced it with a detroit and it has been great. Driving with it takes a little getting used to. Sometimes when you gas it a little bit after turning a corner, it will feel like only one side of your truck is driving, Then you hear a loud bang and the whole truck shakes. Its normal.
I look in the mirror every time though expecting to see transfer case parts scattered all over the road haha.

For strength, Detroit or ARB :rockwoot:
Theres also Eaton's E-Locker that goes from a L/S to fully locked with the touch of a button...pretty cool, and the L/S comes in handy on wet or icy roads where the extremes of a spool or an open diff might be problematic.

I would never weld anything but a strictly off road rig.

Why not a lock right? Cheap, dependable and lifetime warranty..

Just curious.

Lock-Right and other "lunchbox" lockers are installed inside the carrier, replacing the spider gear assembly. They are indeed cheap and easy to install, but most will agree that they are suited for light duty vehicles (jeeps and smaller SUVs) or in front axle applications in lager/heavier trucks. Most of these lockers will advise against using them in applications involving a tire size over 35''. The only one that I know of that doesn't is the Aussie locker.

Detroits, ARBs, and others of similar design replace the entire carrier assembly and are MUCH stronger. For a built diesel, they are the only way to go.:rockwoot:

Just fill up the whole carrier with molten lead. If you don't like it, pull the carrier and heat it up, the lead will melt right out.....

Plus, if you happen to scatter the rear somewhere, you'll get to see a HAZMAT team spring into action to clean up the hazardous lead laden waste.....

Why not a lock right? Cheap, dependable and lifetime warranty..

Just curious.

I have one in my Chevelle and love it! However in my truck, with 1500+ foot pounds (well 1200 now-estimated), I don't think I'd run one. They are strong, just doubt they are THAT strong.

For strength, Detroit or ARB :rockwoot:
Theres also Eaton's E-Locker that goes from a L/S to fully locked with the touch of a button...pretty cool, and the L/S comes in handy on wet or icy roads where the extremes of a spool or an open diff might be problematic.

I would never weld anything but a strictly off road rig.

^^This
Although I have a welded diff in my FJ with 38.5" wampers and it behaves fairly well on pavement. It is primarily an offroader though, and it never goes fast.

Lock-Right and other "lunchbox" lockers are installed inside the carrier, replacing the spider gear assembly. They are indeed cheap and easy to install, but most will agree that they are suited for light duty vehicles (jeeps and smaller SUVs) or in front axle applications in lager/heavier trucks. Most of these lockers will advise against using them in applications involving a tire size over 35''. The only one that I know of that doesn't is the Aussie locker.

Detroits, ARBs, and others of similar design replace the entire carrier assembly and are MUCH stronger. For a built diesel, they are the only way to go.:rockwoot:

I understand the difference between a lock right "lunch box" and an ARB, Detroit, Alburn, etc. I'm not an axle dummy, been through a few and not by choice. Though I do remember reading in Hot Rod years back, a street car making "X" amount of hp and tq, the numbers were up there for a gas motor. And diesel power featured a truck (half ton 96 ram with a 12v) that made over 1000 ft tq on stock rear end with a lock right if memory serves.. Stock carriers putting some serious power to the ground.

I just don't see why you wouldn't try one at least. They can be had for cheap on ebay, and I mean cheap. And if it breaks, send for a new one and sell it then upgrade to a full replacement carrier. Least you would know the limitations of one..

Please don't take that first part the wrong way, I was just trying to get my point across, not trying to low ball anyone. :Cheer:

As another data point - I have a Lock-Right in my F350. It's got 50k of towing/hauling/racing miles on it, including about 400 dragstrip passes. That said, it is in a 2WD dually, so traction probably keeps me from hitting it too hard. The factory recommended against running it in a dually, saying I probably wouldn't be happy with the harsh lock/unlock action, but it has been fine. I ran a mini-spool in a street/strip car for years, it was somewhat annoying in parking lots. I replaced it with a Detroit locker and am very pleased with it.

I understand the difference between a lock right "lunch box" and an ARB, Detroit, Alburn, etc. I'm not an axle dummy, been through a few and not by choice. Though I do remember reading in Hot Rod years back, a street car making "X" amount of hp and tq, the numbers were up there for a gas motor. And diesel power featured a truck (half ton 96 ram with a 12v) that made over 1000 ft tq on stock rear end with a lock right if memory serves.. Stock carriers putting some serious power to the ground.

I just don't see why you wouldn't try one at least. They can be had for cheap on ebay, and I mean cheap. And if it breaks, send for a new one and sell it then upgrade to a full replacement carrier. Least you would know the limitations of one..

Please don't take that first part the wrong way, I was just trying to get my point across, not trying to low ball anyone. :Cheer:

No worries! :Cheer: I just figured Id put it out there to explain my reasoning a bit. I wasn't trying to school you or anything like that, and I apologize if it came off that way.

I agree, the stock carrier is capable of putting some good power to the ground. That lock-right holding up to a 12v is pretty impressive for sure.

I can see your point on the lock-right. If you don't mind tearing into your axle again or a little down time, there's no big reason not to try it out.

Back