Locker vrs welded rear

Ordered my 3.54's today and I'm going to weld it while I'm in there. Then once I get the $$ will get a locker for it.

JPWCummins welded his D80. 3 weeks later driving on the road, broke an axle shaft.
I would not do it on a DD

I've got almost 200 1/4 mile passes on my Harbor Freight welded open carrier Dana 70 rear. 99% of the home mechanics out there have a better welding machine and better welding skills than me.

It's a lot easier to weld it if you remove the carrier (4 large 3/4" bolts on the side bearings & 16 small 1/2" or 9/16" bolts at the axle flanges to free up the axles so they can be slid out 3-4" free and clear from the carrier.

I was scared to remove the carrier because I've never worked on a rear-end before, in fact I tried to weld it in place at first. On my second welding attempt, I pulled the carrier and couldn't believe how easy it was to remove.

In my 02 I have a ARB in the front and a Detroit in the rear. The ARB doesn't always engage as quickly as I would like, especially in cold weather. The Detroit always works.

I know this was brought up before, but here is the NHRA rule on welded spiders:

2:11 REAR END
Welded spider gear rear ends prohibited in all classes. Four-wheel
drive permitted per class requirements. Aftermarket axles and axleretention
device mandatory on Top Fuel, Funny Car, Pro Stock, Top
Alcohol Dragster, Top Alcohol Funny Car, Comp, Super Comp,
Super Gas, Super Street, and 10.99 or quicker E.T. cars; also
mandatory on any car (regardless of class or E.T.) with a spool.

Paul

Anybody wanna trade a locking/limited slip dana 70 3.55 rearend for my open 3.55 rearend? I've got a 1996 12v auto

Good luck on that trade! I've ran welded rearends for years in alot of different vehicles. Once you get used to the tire noise around corners they ain't bad. If I can't find a ls for my new to me 95 twd it will get welded.

Back