meltdown -- common rail style

anyone else do this swap besides john robinson... does he have a screen name on here? thanks

Yeah, "John Robinson" my guess it was a engine swap 03 into a 05 that went chernobyl. It would be good to see how it turned out after some time on it.

In the dyno threads, elevation "shouldn't matter" for a turbo charged application. Well the -100 to 5000 we have here in the states for a "properly tuned" truck. elevation doesn't matter.

Now it matters? Funny if you ask me. :)

Sorry, but I have to "opine" that elevation absolutely does matter. I live at 4000'... see 7000' often enough and travel down to sea level to work every day. Total boost, egts, power, you name it, is all affected as you go up in elevation.

Having run the single turbo and three different sets of twins under these same conditions, I've got a pretty good data base on the effects elevation has.

these pistons work great in a p-pumped truck. the bigger bowl lets you get more timing dialed up without spraying on top. havent melted any down in builds like that. very high temps hard runs big power flames out of the stack.
http://www.phdperformance.com/ted%20wilmington%202nd..mpg. forgive the end please 14mm pump stuck and my but puckered when i should have been pullin the kills hit right at 7200 rpm. 04.5 pistons with valve reliefs cut. lived thu it just fine

ted

That vid is bad arse

Any codes about low fuel presure in rail ?

If a barrel in the CP3 had someting, could affect the presure in the rail (half speed of the crank and 3 pulse by turn).

So the ECM correct the "Cylinder Performance" with those data and affect more fuel to other cylinder.

I have seen those thing on ISC via InSite.

Any codes about low fuel presure in rail ?

If a barrel in the CP3 had someting, could affect the presure in the rail (half speed of the crank and 3 pulse by turn).

So the ECM correct the "Cylinder Performance" with those data and affect more fuel to other cylinder.

I have seen those thing on ISC via InSite.

no relevant codes. Just a code after the radiator hose blew off from getting the iat and wif sensors wet, and a "decreased engine performance" code when the temp shot up after the hose blew off.

these pistons work great in a p-pumped truck. the bigger bowl lets you get more timing dialed up without spraying on top. havent melted any down in builds like that. very high temps hard runs big power flames out of the stack.
http://www.phdperformance.com/ted%20wilmington%202nd..mpg. forgive the end please 14mm pump stuck and my but puckered when i should have been pullin the kills hit right at 7200 rpm. 04.5 pistons with valve reliefs cut. lived thu it just fine

ted

Sweet video! Flames out the stack are always a plus:bow:

Whats it take for a bottom end to stay together at 7200?

Wow that sux...makes me glad I've got a spare motor in the garage. But back to what p-pumped said about these pistons taking heat in a 12v; is it the higher injection pressure or as weston stated the spray angle that's really hurting the 04.5+ or a combination?

a 12v has one injection shot and a piston design that keeps the fuel in the bowl (if your timing is set right and your injectors are right)

the 3rd injection event is an emissions thing... designed to keep the exhaust gas hot enough for the catalyst to work...

right i think it is the temp with the slicing 28k fuel pressure we run that melts them... think of it like this, you have 28k pounds of pressure in a power washers you have a nozzle that has 8 holes really big... it will give it a shower head effect and barely clean mudd off anything......now you have a 5 hole nozzle that has really small holes it will cut your finger off if you put it in front of it.. maybe we need to just make some f-ing huge injectors in these things...lol

My opinion is CR's suck! After melting 2 trucks down (an early 04 and an 05 last fall) I graduated them to stock family rides for my wife to drive and bought 2 12 valves back to play with.

My opinion is CR's suck! After melting 2 trucks down (an early 04 and an 05 last fall) I graduated them to stock family rides for my wife to drive and bought 2 12 valves back to play with.

can you tell us more about the specifics of the trucks you melted down. (mods, what you were doing at the time, etc.)

thanks

Ya im thinkin of keepin my 07 just a nice tow rig and soupin the hell outta my 2000!

I'd like more power (always), but these things are just too fragile compared to the old 12v dinosaurs :(

I think my '06 is staying the way it is... programmer, turbo, and tranny... enough power to get through traffic but still far from the ragged edge

booo this man....lol jk I have so much invested in mine i think its to late to turn it around..

I'd like more power (always), but these things are just too fragile compared to the old 12v dinosaurs :(

I think my '06 is staying the way it is... programmer, turbo, and tranny... enough power to get through traffic but still far from the ragged edge

lol

My hindsite is 20/20!!!!!:bang

Yeah, tell me about it.

Come on guys. You don't think the guys that started hot rodding diesels way back in the day didn't blow $hit up trying to perfect their power. It is all trial and error, may be expensive but it is still trial and error. Look how mant engine Beans has melted down. BBD just about broke his engine in half. The Browns have melted a few, broken cranks in half and you don't see them giving up. JP put your truck back together and run some water and it will be fine. Granted I have not melted or blown anything upYET, but my day is coming and when it does come it will be built bigger and better than before.:ft:

yeah im gonna build a engine over the winter.... prob a .040 over arias or ross motor with the works and see what happens next year... throw a s480 or bigger under my 2.6 and drag race the poo out of her..lol

Back