Might have stripped ring and pinion

A typical full floating hub has a double nut set up with a lock tab ring you bend over the outer nut. Don't forget proper preload has to be set with wheel bearings and your gonna want to really clean up that spindle until the new bearings slide on easy. Also were you low on gear lube or something? Or hasn't the gear lube been changed? Synthetic 75w-90 should be changed every 100k.

Preload? You mean tighten the nut to 130ft/lbs or whatever it was? I have service manual so I have the correct number. Thats all the service manual gives for install. Otherwise its just put on the inner bearing, hub, outer bearing, nut.

Gear oil was fine as well, full to the fill port, and maybe 25k miles on it.

The keepers are tiny and they go in the slot go to dodge I think they are 6 bucks maybe and just buy one, I had to rebuild both hubs the other day on another truck and go get new keepers. They just tap in with a hammer, couple light taps and in it goes, when it needs to come out get a pair of side cutters and bite on to one side and pry against the hub and they pop right out.

I do remember what you're talking about now, I remember having to find a smaller hammer to tap it in.

This is probably a bad explanation. Preload is like tightening it up, then back off a quarter turn or so. It's putting a load on the bearing and making sure it's seated. You should also tighten it up while rotating and back it off a few times before your final torque to make sure the seal is seated. I don't know Dana specs because I have never done any Dana rears. I've done quite a few without specs and going by feel and it went ok.

This is probably a bad explanation. Preload is like tightening it up, then back off a quarter turn or so. It's putting a load on the bearing and making sure it's seated. You should also tighten it up while rotating and back it off a few times before your final torque to make sure the seal is seated. I don't know Dana specs because I have never done any Dana rears. I've done quite a few without specs and going by feel and it went ok.

Oh yeah, I think it said 1/8 or 1/4 turn, can't remember off the top of my head.

I guess your keeper must of just fell out then...

Thats really what I'm thinking at this point. Thats why it's getting glued in this time.

I haven't called them yet, they're still first on the list though. I'm just getting all the sources possible on a list before I order. I'm starting a wtb ad here as well LOL Maybe find something special for the right price.

If you pay $50 for them then ship them and they are used, you might can get a brand new one for $95 in OKC with no shipping and be ahead on the deal. Just sayin'. :D You can be a tight ass if you want.....but you are trusting a "used part" to put all your powa to the pavement? :poke: LOL

If you pay $50 for them then ship them and they are used, you might can get a brand new one for $95 in OKC with no shipping and be ahead on the deal. Just sayin'. :D You can be a tight ass if you want.....but you are trusting a "used part" to put all your powa to the pavement? :poke: LOL

That ebay one was 50 shipped, but no I'm not picking any option yet. I'm just trying to get all my options together. I may pickup the ebay one as a cheap spare either way.

I've rebuilt a lot of rear ends and I've had shafts sit side by side and if there is a difference it can't be much but I'm pretty sure they are the same.

How much are the new ones at Inland?

Just called the guy, he was very nice about it and tried several times to find me one, but everywhere, even Dana, says it's an obsolete part, dealer item only.

So ebay ones for me! LOL

Just called the guy, he was very nice about it and tried several times to find me one, but everywhere, even Dana, says it's an obsolete part, dealer item only.

So ebay ones for me! LOL

Man, that sucks. I tried. :D Need to borrow my welder again? LOL

lol no, I'm calling lkq now, thats where we got our last D60. It's a pick-a-part yard, so they may be dirt cheap.

Well screw them, the site gives me a generic 800 number, and they 800 number tells me to try the website. They can shove it up their behinds.

Ebay it is, unless someone here has one before 10pm ish.

ITP was able to tell me that they're they same part #, so I just ordered a couple off ebay, so I'll have a spare now. I was going to go upgraded, but I'd rather leave it and the ujoints as the weak link.

I have a disk brake 70 that needs a set of spiders and side gears. I have a 4.10 ring and pinion for it but need installed if you are looking for a parts axle. Im about 30min east of Indy. Its been laying in the barn for about 5 years so everything needs cleaned up.

Back