Might have stripped ring and pinion

Jeebus, when you tear something up you do it right.

011.jpg

So someone through an idea at me: Would it be possible to make a field vise/clamp with some sort of strap or bearing cap and some hard bolts, and heat up the spindle end and squeeze it back into shape?

Or is here something of a cone shape that I can push into it and force it in to make the hole round again? With heat of course.

Just ideas, I'm about at the end of my mind here. Short of digging up a whole new axle assembly and swapping the guts out of it.

GUTS? shoot, I'd be swapping the entire axle by now.

GUTS? shoot, I'd be swapping the entire axle by now.

I have 4.10's in this. I could try to find a D70 with 4.10, but I think 3.55 will be easier to find. I'm going to have to pay for gear swap if I get new axle, thats why I'm trying to fix this one.

If you weren't in Indiana I would. I may have found one here in oklahoma for 250, just gotta figure out how to go get it. The beetle won't haul it LOL

Roof rack for the beetle or you'd be surprised how big a trailer they can tow. Lol

Last edited:
Call Axel Surgeon of Oklahoma. They will show up and cut the end off and put a new spindle on where it sets. It will be stronger than the original. It takes about 3 hours. They will do it right where the truck sets now so that is about the easiest thing you can do. The hardest thing to do is to pony up the $850 to have it done. But it is faster and easier than an axle swap. Might not be as cheap, but there is your solution.

Axle Surgeon of Oklahoma
(405) 275-2953
41101 Wolverine Rd, Shawnee, OK 74804.

Details here:

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together - View Single Post - Axle Carnage. Please HELP! Truck Down

Last edited:
Rent a port a power with the power wedge that spreads. Torch and some patience and you could get it close.

like this.
pa8a9yse.jpg

I hope you aren't seriously considering using heat and clamping/spreading devices to get the threads that hold your freaking rear wheel on "close." Please tell me you aren't going to do this.

Call Axel Surgeon of Oklahoma. They will show up and cut the end off and put a new spindle on where it sets. It will be stronger than the original. It takes about 3 hours. They will do it right where the truck sets now so that is about the easiest thing you can do. The hardest thing to do is to pony up the $850 to have it done. But it is faster and easier than an axle swap. Might not be as cheap, but there is your solution.

Axle Surgeon of Oklahoma
(405) 275-2953

Details here:

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together - View Single Post - Axle Carnage. Please HELP! Truck Down

Rent a port a power with the power wedge that spreads. Torch and some patience and you could get it close.

like this.
pa8a9yse.jpg

The problem with these is money LOL Jory I remember you telling me about them, and they are on my list of options, but towards the bottom. And do you have to supply new spindle, or will they supply it?

The port a power would be cool, but I wouldn't have the first clue where to find one here. I'm sure they're around, but finding it is the problem.

For now, toolman may have found me a D70 for 250 bucks, and it may already have 4.10's in it. If it does, then I'm set.

I hope you aren't seriously considering using heat and clamping/spreading devices to get the threads that hold your freaking rear wheel on "close." Please tell me you aren't going to do this.

Couple tack welds and it'll be good to go. You figure out how to make things work out in the middle of nowhere sometimes. Granted we eventually replace those quick fixes with new parts EVENTUALLY.... Lol

They supply the spindle. You supply the check and they do the work and when they leave, you have something you can trust and will be stronger than the other side. :D

The tube is heated and the new end is slipped in. The spindle is wiggled as the tube cools and then it quits moving and almost permanently in place at that point even before the weld. This will assure perfect center-line alignment.

Couple tack welds and it'll be good to go. You figure out how to make things work out in the middle of nowhere sometimes. Granted we eventually replace those quick fixes with new parts EVENTUALLY.... Lol

I agree, we make it work enough to finish the job or get it home....but you are talking about the opposite of Caucasian riggin' the freakin' rear wheel nut on a truck that you are going to race at over 100mph or pull gooseneck trailers with? Say it isn't so!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
IIRC they included everything when they did my trailer in OKC. It took about 2 hours but their work is top notch.

Ok, if this axle deal doesn't pan out, I'll just have them do it. If the axle deal does pan out, then I still have to pay someone to swap the gears around if needed. Last time that was 300 bucks. Plus figuring out how to get it, and fuel out there and back...... These doctor guys may be top of the list now. But it's gonna be a couple months before I can have them do it. Plus I'm sure the price has gone up.

Last edited:

Axle Surgeon of Oklahoma
(405) 275-2953

Details here:

$850 that sounds expensive. We have a guy travel about 1.5-2 hrs up to work and weld on a new spindle on a semi or a trailer for $750 and takes him no more than an hour and we have never had an issue with quality. He's out of the pittsburgh area, so I'm sorry that's no help. Much larger axles, I figured he would charge more than that other guy doing a pick up, not be cheaper.

I'll look around then, there may be someone else out of the local area that gets more business/charges less.