Mis-Matched? No longer.

We have made over 1500hp on an mls gasket, copper coat, with 12mm 625 studs. Good machined surfaces are all you need to keep the gasket in place.

If you have lost a gasket, I would be checking the surface and likely pulling the motor to have it surfaced.

Agreed a MLS on two true surfaces will hold a ton, Orings arent needed.

Probably because he has made well over 1000hp on just the mls gasket and studs.

You probably know I've always pushed the MLS....you guys putting down 1500+ kind of reinforces that in a big way...LOL

Surfaces have to be machined properly, lots of old school machine shops can't make the proper RA finish.

Last edited:
Seems to me its 25 or less. Some of the older machines had to be converted to a dc drive to move the fly cutter slow enough. Bottom line, ask your machinest and politely...remember to your engine he is god.

Last edited:
One could check the block with out pulling it? If the block can be validated as true in the truck I may just have the head rebuilt and call it done.

I'm also considering changing the converter to a lower stall for the street so I might as well drop it off as Chris' and pick it up in the spring and get the motor gone through.

Thanks for all the input guys!

One could check the block with out pulling it? If the block can be validated as true in the truck I may just have the head rebuilt and call it done.

I'm also considering changing the converter to a lower stall for the street so I might as well drop it off as Chris' and pick it up in the spring and get the motor gone through.

Thanks for all the input guys!

edit: sorry cquestad, i missed your post

Yes a good straight edge and some feeler gauges will be able to tell you where your block is at, with it in the truck. Just make sure it is well cleaned first.

It's too bad your having to make so much boost with that set up. Is it because of the small secondary? I know most here don't believe in it, but some head porting might help.

Tried bigger studs and tighter torque on the studs?

I torqued the studs to 145#. The head was decked flat, and the block was checked with a strait edge. Do what you want. I was just sharing what worked for me. How many people make big horse power with that "old technology"? A lot....

My ^^ this is why didn't work out...lol I was intending to point at the guys making 1500 on the MLS.

Sure not saying orings can't work, just my opinion the MLS is superior and frankly easier.

I torqued the studs to 145#. The head was decked flat, and the block was checked with a strait edge. Do what you want. I was just sharing what worked for me. How many people make big horse power with that "old technology"? A lot....

I say old technology, not because it doesn't work, but because its unnecessary. MLS will hold if done right, and has a tendency to re-seal where the o-ring leaves you looking like this...
1D56409B-F7CA-4C02-A43F-179B82219763-374-00000070F4C721F2.jpg

What's the tolerance for checking the surfaces?
+/- a certain number within "X" amount of area.

Ive done alot of o-ring'd CR engines. I will ONLY do them with good studs torqued correctly if thats what the customer wants. Ive also had guys with o-rings blow their gaskets out with high boost. On my stuff and with customers who tell me to use my preference I just do standard MLS on street driven trucks and fire rings on dedicated toys. I got that piece of info from the Haisleys several years back and its worked for me here. Flat surfaces with the perfect RA will keep them sealed.

This is just my opinion, but I have yet to have been able to make enough cylinder pressure to warrant fire rings. On 12v's, 24v p-pumps, or CR's. It obviously works for lot's of people but seems unnecessarily complicated to do.

With that being said I do run o-ring setups in 12v and 24v setups.

Uhmm...913rwhp....then BOOM!

Kidding man!:D.
Well...I now feel like an asshole (more than usual I mean):eek:. This is the last thing I wanted for you Jason, sorry to hear about your engine troubles man:(. Best of luck getting everything resolved and the truck back on the road Jason:Cheer:.

Also, I might be psychicLOL.