Need posts

I joined here because of the knowledge and helpful people, I sat on other forums and never got the help and kind words I got here.

Yeah I only joined last year but damn I've talked to some great people, I joined to learn, sell and help where I could. Selling wasn't my motive at all! I just sat back and scrolled through what i could as a visitor for years.

Do we need to have guide lines... yes! Do we need to haze/ weed out the people that dont care to post useful info.... possible! Do most people deserve to prove themselves.. definitely!

Now I will say starting off with need posts to sell my chit is grounds for gtfo.!!! Or your a troll and need a hardcore hazing anyway.. :lolly:

Well this thread has turned into a good one to read. I have nothing really to add as I float through and just read new threads.

It is not even remotely difficult to get 10 legitimate posts here, esp if someone already has enough interest in the sport to have parts to sell.

I guess I personally do not see the invisible issue at hand. There are 20+ active build threads. none of which are just simple stick on parts. Do we want more how to threads or what is it people are upset about? Ill take quality over quantity on the interwebz whenever I can.

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk

I can see both sides. Crap part is I agree with both sides. There needs to be new blood but it can't have an STD. This site has a wide variety of builds going on, I enjoy reading every one from pro stock to rat rod. The normal "group" can be harsh at times but 90% of the time I see them weed out the bad ones that don't deserve to be here.

I have learned so much from reading posts and guys accomplishments and failures. It has helped me from making mistakes and kept me on path for my goal. I'd hate to see this turn into the other sites that 50 guys walk one guy threw how to install a factory turbo on their daily driver, but then again we've all been there. I don't want to see that, but if we have to endure a bit of dip**** for the greater good, then maybe we should turn down the hazing a bit?

Now obviously the OP was only here to sell parts. No need for that.

Jory, I can not read CompD all day, go home, click new posts while on my laptop, and read all the threads in an hour. I have 3 pages of threads but only 1 page worth reading. The other 2 pages are people selling their stuff.

It used to be i could read for 3-4 hours and not catch up. We had a chit load of new threads, ideas, tech, build threads.

The powerstroke forums are a ghost town, Duramax are on life support, the Dodge sections are in the nursing home, staging lanes are usually a bunch of old men biching about rules (that's mostly the pullers section).

I see the same people posting everyday. The ones that have life are the work and the randomness thread. Occasionally we get that tard, or someone who truly needs prayers.

Some people started here with something to sell.

I'm just stating a trend in noticing.

This guy gets it.

too hard on new guys, too limited on scope... this place is a social club of old guys who are into diesels... it is not a tech forum.

it's mostly Cummins centered, but you can find FAR more information about Cummins pickups on other forums

the lack of basic knowledge on this forum about the 6.7 trucks is laughable... and most of it is due to the fact that the forum members won't dare visit that other forum (if they're not permabanned, that is!)

PSA is active because it's new, it's ford centered, and it's got great lineage.

Now, don't take this as a dis on Comp. I prefer my "home" forums to be more of a social club than a K-12 everybody hold hands while we explain for the thousandth time the vast performance differences between 4" and 5" exhaust.

It's the natural progression of this type of forum. My other home forum bares very little resemblance to its namesake. But there's a core of members that started out on an email list, then a crappy scrolling BBS, and on and on and on. Getting frighteningly close to 20yrs!

But there are very few new members. We try to chase off and scare off new members. The ones that are actually able to hang in always turn out to be good members.

It's a catch 22 for a forum owner as members and traffic declines, but if you rock the boat and start over-moderating so as to accommodate new softies, the core members will leave.

But, core members tend to forget that 10yrs ago, they were all fairly new and much softer than they are now. Well... not everybody, but you know what I mean.

It's just the natural progression of things.

I'll tell you this much... other than TDR (because it was the first and I knew nothing about diesels back in '98) and PSA (because it's the best Powerstroke forum) EVER SINGLE DIESEL FORUM I'm on INCLUDING THIS ONE... I originally signed up because of the classifieds.

Making people jump through hoops to use the classifieds keeps some of the riff raff out. But it also keeps out the guys who are so deep in the sport, they might make 3 posts a year, but they're good people who have good parts that other members could make use of OR, they're willing to GIVE MONEY TO LONG TIME MEMBERS for items they have for sale, but they're unable to because they can't PM

The quickly/easily frustrated will simply move on to greener pastures

Allowing anybody to access the classifieds can certainly clutter it up. There's no perfect solution. But we all enjoy a good hazing thread, no?! AMIRITE!? :D

Nearing REALLY gets it. hey, what was that in your avatar back on DTR?

I'll also say that the bulk of "activity" in the hobby is on facebook... now... the percentage of that activity that bears any interest for somebody who has been in the hobby/industry for 5-10+yrs is roughly 0%... unless they're just interested in trash talking.

When there isn't much new under the sun and we're all still tinkering on the same old stuff, the content volume just naturally goes down.

It's amazing to me the number of 20-25yr olds who have never signed up for an internet forum, but if you see what goes on on the facebook groups, it makes sense as to why they don't

I read that the BOOK is where it's happening. I won't join in on that for the simple fact that you can make a wild claim and then delete. On here you make your statement and it's more or less printed in stone for the world to see.

I'm not following you Scooter...one would have to be mentally amd emotionally deficient to enjoy what i see in diesel related FB groups.

Guess i needed to reread the first paragraph. LOL.

Well apparently i thought id be good after those five post to start contributing to this forum....

I needed some injectors that a member was selling and couldnt get a hold of them.... My truck is out of commission right now.... Soo thanks for setting that time frame back by taking my post count away... I see its a great group of guys on here....

Lol and you ask people to contribute but yet theres 20 people bashing me for trying to be able to your community ?????????

Sorry for not jumping thru your perfect hoops... Ill walk your straight line now

My bad,
Tiller

I keep gettin a bunch of bros pming me super low ball prices for parts.
Every price ive seen on here has been more than fair for what im looking for and was willing to pay there asking price....

Sorry you like stereotyping new members... You should stop that though and and give people a chance

Welcome to CompD!

We ask you to contribute to our community with useful info instead of junk to get to your 10 post to sell and pm people

Sorry... Wasnt trying to post to sell.... Was looking to buy and it wouldnt let me post to figure out details on paying a member for there parts

Last edited by a moderator:
No they are not perfect but it was a way to also protect members from bad sellers.

I will say that attitude is not going to win you any favors here.

Only five more hoops...

Yep. But he is self destructing.

He isn't doing too bad...now. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt.