Need Tranny expert 47re or 48re ??

calltrex

2003 diesel

my vin has the 6 which is suppose to mean its a 47re

also have the build sheet that says its a 47re

i have the black square kind of neutral switch

I just talked to someone at NAPC and they said its a 48re even though it says its a 47re

I need to order a bunch of build parts and now i dont know if im ordering 47 or 48re stuff... :confused013:

Also looking for a core to work with so i dont have to take the one out of my truck and have down time. so dont know if 47 or 48re

Attachments

• IMG_0683.jpg
    IMG_0683.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 0
also on PATC parts site they list that square switch

#48NSS. Neutral Safety Switch. Fits some 2001 up 46RE / 47RE / 48RE transmissions.

IIRC correctly late 47RE's got the black switch also.

I parted a early 03. It had that switch, but it was for sure a 47re. I put a bushing in that hole and screwed in a park neutral saftey switch and valve body from a 99 and put it in the 99 truck, worked great.

Put a 0-300 psi gauge on the trans.. Stock 47re wot 110-120psi, Stock 48re with 15?psi

The 48 would be a better high perf trans..

The 47&48 are same except on of the planets are aluminum in 47 and is steel in 48 other than that the same and uses same parts

The 47&48 are same except on of the planets are aluminum in 47 and is steel in 48 other than that the same and uses same parts

Not True!

Example 1, the "Forward Clutch" which is the clutch pack that is always engaged in every "forward" gear, has 93 tooth clutches instead of 62 tooth clutches.

Example 2, the "Direct Clutch" which is the clutch pack that engages when your tranny shifts to 3rd gear and is the clutch pack that sits the furthest forward in the tranny inside the drum wrapped with the 2nd gear band is different. On 48re there are 5 clutches and 5 steels. On the 47re, there are 4 clutches and 4 steels.

Example 2, the OD clutch pack as stepped reaction plate with 5 clutches instead of 4 like the 47re.

Example 3, the OD/Direct clutch pack has 23 single sided clutch/steel plates instead of 9 traditional frictions and 9 traditional steels. 23 friction surfaces in 48re vs 18 friction surfaces in 47re.

Not True!

Example 1, the "Forward Clutch" which is the clutch pack that is always engaged in every "forward" gear, has 93 tooth clutches instead of 62 tooth clutches.

Example 2, the "Direct Clutch" which is the clutch pack that engages when your tranny shifts to 3rd gear and is the clutch pack that sits the furthest forward in the tranny inside the drum wrapped with the 2nd gear band is different. On 48re there are 5 clutches and 5 steels. On the 47re, there are 4 clutches and 4 steels.

Example 2, the OD clutch pack as stepped reaction plate with 5 clutches instead of 4 like the 47re.

Example 3, the OD/Direct clutch pack has 23 single sided clutch/steel plates instead of 9 traditional frictions and 9 traditional steels. 23 friction surfaces in 48re vs 18 friction surfaces in 47re.

he asked about moddin one and that shows the knowledge of some...yes direct clutch is different but all other parts interchange

he asked about moddin one and that shows the knowledge of some...yes direct clutch is different but all other parts interchange

There are quite a bit of differences between them, some parts will interchange, but they need to be interchanged as an assembly. Sun shell is different, etc. I think the rear clutch on a 47RE is 3 clutches, and 4 on the 48RE.

wish there was a easy way to tell what i got. retarded

should be marked on the cases what they are!

i already ordered a goerend VB for a 47re

now i dont even know if i have a 47re :bang

wish there was a easy way to tell what i got. retarded

should be marked on the cases what they are!

i already ordered a goerend VB for a 47re

now i dont even know if i have a 47re :bang

easiest way to tell is if trans is out there will be a sealing ring for converter on pump for 48 and not 47

all parts will interchange

Really? So the 47RE sunshell has no differences than the 48RE? What about the clutches, etc, etc.
So you can take the rear clutches from the 48RE and put them in a 47RE basket, with no issues to consider?

Blanket advice like this may lead someone astray.

Last edited:
easiest way to tell is if trans is out there will be a sealing ring for converter on pump for 48 and not 47

Aren't the pans on the 48RE unpainted and larger volume than the 47RE?

order a kit for 48 and 47 and there is only 1 difference and that will be the forward clutch...

order a kit for 48 and 47 and there is only 1 difference and that will be the forward clutch...

If you're talking about a rebuild kit from Mopar, the overdrive direct clutches are different, the direct clutches and steels are different thicknesses as well. On the 48re kit, the direct frictions are .088 and the steels are .085. On the pre 98' 47re, the direct frictions are .096 and the steels are .070, on the post 98' 47re, the direct frictions are .084 and the steels are .084.

All of these differences can be accommodated for with different thickness selectable waved and snap rings and/or selective thickness steels so it is a moot point, just saying the rebuild kits are not identical.

As far as seals, bushings, and gaskets, I have no idea if the 48re kits have the correct seals for a 47re.

The main discussion of this thread has to do with ordering parts for a rebuild so that's why some of us are speaking up and stating that there are differences that may or may not allow the swapping of certain parts.

Another example of a big difference is the intermediate shaft splines. The intermediate shaft from a 47re does not have the correct splines to use a steel 6 gear front planetary from a 48re.

Like zstroken stated, sub-assemblies can be exchanged but individual parts cannot always be exchanged.

As far as seals, bushings, and gaskets, I have no idea if the 48re kits have the correct seals for a 47re.

Brian's been in WAY more trannies than you seem to be thinking he has. He knows what he's talking about with them...

If you're talking about a rebuild kit from Mopar, the overdrive direct clutches are different, the direct clutches and steels are different thicknesses as well. On the 48re kit, the direct frictions are .088 and the steels are .085. On the pre 98' 47re, the direct frictions are .096 and the steels are .070, on the post 98' 47re, the direct frictions are .084 and the steels are .084.

All of these differences can be accommodated for with different thickness selectable waved and snap rings and/or selective thickness steels so it is a moot point, just saying the rebuild kits are not identical.

The main discussion of this thread has to do with ordering parts for a rebuild so that's why some of us are speaking up and stating that there are differences that may or may not allow the swapping of certain parts.

Another example of a big difference is the intermediate shaft splines. The intermediate shaft from a 47re does not have the correct splines to use a steel 6 gear front planetary from a 48re.

Like zstroken stated, sub-assemblies can be exchanged but individual parts cannot always be exchanged.

I thought this site was competition diesel not an oem site on how to build things...and who in there right mind buys a trans rebuild kit from the dealer..so until you know the performance side of things ya need to quit stating oem bull.... cause that will take him backwards...

I thought this site was competition diesel not an oem site on how to build things...and who in there right mind buys a trans rebuild kit from the dealer..so until you know the performance side of things ya need to quit stating oem bull.... cause that will take him backwards...

Did I hurt your pride posting differences between 47re and 48re? Next time, I'll mind my own business and not dirty up a thread with useless truthful information, you seem to have this one handled.