new from Texas (5+ years ago)

My Shetland is always ill tempered. I don't think chasing him around on my golf cart helps though. I did make an attempt at riding him the other day. He was grazing out in the pasture and I just jumped on.

I wasn't on long LOL

On another note, I had no idea that he could throw me THAT high !! :nail:

Shetlands are the devil, I am convinced. I refused to ride one when I was younger and insisted I ride the 17.2hh Warmbloods instead LOL

IMG03200-20110206-1343.jpg

This is Friendly, so named because he has to be the the NICEST lil guy ever! He's 42" at the withers HAHAHA my friend breeds, trains and shows them. My toes could touch the ground, but for the "riding" aspect, I pulled my feet up hahaha

IMG03208-20110206-1403.jpg

Compared to my 110lb bloodhound

IMG03207-20110206-1350.jpg

My gelding is about 16.2 in this picture. He had NO idea what to do with Friendly, so he just sniffed him for 10 min lol

My shetland is always ill tempered. I dont think chasing him around on my golf cart helps though. I did make an attempt at riding him the other day. He was grazing out in the pasture and I just jumped on.

I wasnt on long LOL

On another note, I had no idea that he could throw me THAT high !! :nail:

Video or this never happened. LOL Was the pony from the Tijuana pony show rescue?

Video or this never happened. LOL Was the pony from the Tijuana pony show rescue?

No My grandparents bought him for me when I was 5. I named him chubby :hehe:

He is around 35 now. No teeth, and a whole lot skinnier! I will see if I can get a video of me attempting to ride him.

I am pretty sure he is a reject party pony because he will not even let someone on his back when he has a halter on.

Dena, you know you're not trying to get on his back and ride him... You're trying to ride him from behind... That's why he is ill tempered. Just Sayin'

Well, I need to make a trip up there anyway to visit some friends... save me a seat and I'll help you clean up your backyard a bit :lolly:

Tom are you making a post that doesn't reference death to the thread?! LOL kidding! But yeah, that can be REALLY tricky to clear up... when my aunt worked for the Alaska Department of Fish and Game as a consulting wildlife biologist, she had a few stories quite similar to that.

I'll save ya a seat on the deck! WRT the fish and game stuff, I suppose it would be a case of shoot, shovel and shut up if it ever happened! Actually if I ever get around to trying hunting for real, my dad owns about 150 acres just outside of town, wooded and hilly area with a couple of streams running through, tons of deer and even a few bears there.

Is it common for a doe to be so aggressive? I have seen the bucks fighting in my yard, but as soon as I head back there they all scatter.

Dena, you know you're not trying to get on his back and ride him... You're trying to ride him from behind... That's why he is ill tempered. Just Sayin'

LOL BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'll save ya a seat on the deck! WRT the fish and game stuff, I suppose it would be a case of shoot, shovel and shut up if it ever happened! Actually if I ever get around to trying hunting for real, my dad owns about 150 acres just outside of town, wooded and hilly area with a couple of streams running through, tons of deer and even a few bears there.

Is it common for a doe to be so aggressive? I have seen the bucks fighting in my yard, but as soon as I head back there they all scatter.

Sounds like you have a good set up at your dad's place. Now you need to do some scouting/watching and looking for rubs and scrapes, set up game cameras and then hang stands! I love doing that chit, too bad I'm not closer to come help lol if you ended up shooting that doe and you live in the middle of nowhere, you could totally process that thing out yourself and save it; not condoning "poaching" here but also not wanting to waste what could be good meat! But it probably would be easier to shoot, shovel and shut up lol

I've had a few bigger does get testy with me early in the mornings walking into my stand. If they aren't used to people they're a bit braver; but once they know what you are and what you do, they're outta there! When bucks are in rut they tend to be more distracted by chasin tail (yes, pun intended LOL ) but most will run off relatively quickly after they spot you. At least in my years of dealing with them, that's what I tend to see.

Stands? Lazy.

16345_1277550544667_1407095364_795599_1504946_n.jpg

225697_1044284993174_1407095364_131055_8072_n.jpg

Only at home/in MD where we hunted; easier to see through the trees.

Spot and stalk in South Africa. Lioness hunt was a 7hr spot and stalk. The impala was a 2 hour spot and stalk. All through waist to shoulder high grasses/shrubs etc. While carrying the .375 and my .270.

christineimpala.jpg

n7800776_37246761_8997.jpg

(ignore my ex, he ruins the picture)

n7800776_37246762_9297.jpg

I much prefer the climbing stands LOL

I know it's really hard to prove self defense against a game animal. Buddy of mine's Dad shot a moose that was charging him when we were kids and it was bad news. Took a while for him to get clear of it.

Why did he tell anyone? I'd have kept my mouth shut.

I know it's really hard to prove self defense against a game animal. Buddy of mine's Dad shot a moose that was charging him when we were kids and it was bad news. Took a while for him to get clear of it.

We've been hearing about a moose challenging people up around the cabin lately. Last time a warning shot was fired and he got the point. I'm affraid it'll end up bad for him the next time around.

We've been hearing about a moose challenging people up around the cabin lately. Last time a warning shot was fired and he got the point. I'm afraid it'll end up bad for him the next time around.

Some have to learn the hard way... they can be seriously dangerous. But it doesn't hurt to take that kind of aggressive tendency out of the gene pool too.

Because IF he got caught that's a lot of jail time.

^ My aunt said people report it because the jail time, fines and all that are NOT worth trying to cover it up. Especially if it's one that has tags, collars or a chip on it for studies.

I would have done what the ranchers around my area do with wolves, shoot, shovel, and shut up LOL

No one said he had to take it back to his place and lead authorities to him. Kill it and leave it. I wouldn't feel bad about leaving it if it was purely self defense. Don't open your mouth in town bragging about it and no one will ever know. If you run into DNR/F&G on the way out tell them what happened then.

I'm not knocking the guy for confessing to it, just saying doing the right thing can sometimes get you in more trouble than doing the "wrong" thing.

Im not going to send you any tastykakes now....Why dont you go eat a twinkie and give someone a ticket....and answer your damn phone lol

Why did he tell anyone? I'd have kept my mouth shut.

See below.

Because IF he got caught that's a lot of jail time.

And was a FS surveyor, working through the week in the area. So it wouldn't have been hard at all to track it back to him once the Game Wardens got the time of death and his footprints.

I would have done what the ranchers around my area do with wolves, shoot, shovel, and shut up LOL

This was in northern Idaho, and I'm not sure the ranchers up there are doing any shoveling anymore. From what I had heard the state lifted the restrictions on ranchers defending stock. Supposed to be legal for them to shoot wolves after their stock now, like it has been with cats and whatnot.