New pulling truck hauler!

Bobcat698 said:
I bet you didn't know that if you tow any trailer with your truck that has a rating of higher than 10k for a GVW, you are required to have a CDL whether you have that much weight on the trailer or not. Do some reading in the towing/hauling section.

You lose! I do homework too!

Enjoy your new trailer and of course be careful.

nwpadmax said:
You lose! I do homework too!

Enjoy your new trailer and of course be careful.

Sure will!

I wasn't trying be an a$$, hope you don't think so.

A lot of people don't know about that law.. They aren't enforcing it too strictly currently but I imagine they will be soon!

Here In Georgia You can do what you want with whatever size trailer but without CDL you cannot go over that 26k max. Actually, My trailer used to a 48' length but I had to shorten it 3' and move my hitch on the truck forward because I was over 77' bumpper to bumper which in some States that I ran through is the max length. But it is alot easier to get a CDL these days. Mine is a Class A CDL with air brake restriction. My truck ain't got them and I didn't need that. Cost me $25 and a days time for the practical. My truck is listed as 33k gross combined but I could plate it for higher weight if needed.

my bet is garrett hauls by the book. no doubt in my mind. enjoy garret. just make sure you make all the hooks!!!

Nah, Johnboy seems to think you're OK, and JB is a friend of mine, so you must be OK :D

I'm just gunshy as hell about this stuff. The laws are written so poorly that it makes them almost unintelligible. Ask 3 state troopers and you'll get 3 different answers. In PA, they're so confused, that they just write tickets, and let the judges figure it out. It's very frustrating.

I stayed under 10k on my trailer for this exact reason, and I have to throw the weights in the tow rig just to keep everything square.

I am still concerned about hauling trailers & loads that exceed the OEM rating of the truck...I can't see how you get out of it, if you end up in court.

Blackdog said:
Here In Georgia You can do what you want with whatever size trailer but without CDL you cannot go over that 26k max. Actually, My trailer used to a 48' length but I had to shorten it 3' and move my hitch on the truck forward because I was over 77' bumpper to bumper which in some States that I ran through is the max length. But it is alot easier to get a CDL these days. Mine is a Class A CDL with air brake restriction. My truck ain't got them and I didn't need that. Cost me $25 and a days time for the practical. My truck is listed as 33k gross combined but I could plate it for higher weight if needed.

I also have the Class A CDL with air brake restriction.

Apparently longest legal trailer length is 53 ft including the goose, unless you have a special permit.

Bobcat698 said:
I also have the Class A CDL with air brake restriction.

Apparently longest legal trailer length is 53 ft including the goose, unless you have a special permit.

After my ticket I figured I could lighten the load 3'. I hatd it but I wasn't gonna throw the fifth wheel 3' forward by any means. But it is exactly 77' now. Never did look into it though. Big rigs are longer than that. Must be based on vehicle size. Anyway I still got plenty of trailer. eason I asked about price is I am shopping for another gooseneck but only 27'flat-5'dove

bonesmx2000 said:
i believe my buddys uncle works there i believe it the same place

now what are you going to do if diva gets her truck painted custom? what about your 98 and your hauler? you will have to make them match too

My 98 is getting the cab re-painted, haven't decided on a color scheme other than that yet, just black so far.

The hauler is black and is pretty sharp looking, the money will go into making it the ultimate tow rig before looks :)

Bobcat698 said:
My 98 is getting the cab re-painted, haven't decided on a color scheme other than that yet, just black so far.

The hauler is black and is pretty sharp looking, the money will go into making it the ultimate tow rig before looks :)

So whats the other truck on the trailer going to be other than the 98??? havn't heard you talk to much about other trucks yet.

Ryan

Easy boys!:hehe:

Garrett

Mat has a point. He knows the CDL law he went to great lengths to stay under 10K because of issues with him getting a CDL. The confusion is very true. You have to becareful with going over 26K. Some states dont care what they said is OK in Wisconsin. Some states only go buy the truck max combo weight. They will not care that you went to great lenghts to be legal in your home state.

OT Looking forward pulling with both you guys at NADM Stoneboro!

Once you get to the limits of needing the CDL state laws mean nothing. The laws for CDL's are Federal. Your state (officer) may choose not to enforce them because they don't know them. Here in WV and PA they go by the book. I've seen more pickups pulled over on the side of the road than big rigs. The days of the one ton tow trucks and flat beds are gone. Yes 26k is the limit. A trailor with a gvwr of 10k and over is also the limit. They are not too concerned about the gvw tag on the door as long as your is truck licensed for the combined gross weight. They want your tax money.

Looks good Garrett, that is a bad ass trailer! I wish I was using that to haul hay last season! Lol, On your tow rig how much HP are you going to be going for? I would deffinately look into cooling system upgrades and make sure you get that head sealed up good with some rings and studs! And just really good breaks on it as well, you never know if/when the trailer brakes will quit wrking and in that case you can be SOL if the truck can't stop you (happened to me a few times :badidea:) Are you going to run an exhaust brake?

My only worry would be other states you haul through, if it is legal in WI that may not be the case in OK or TX. Not trying to preach bro, I figure you got it all under control lol.

Are you going to come back to Houston next year? Hopefully this time I won't be rushing to put my truck back together or have my old lady super sick :bang

mech2161 said:
Once you get to the limits of needing the CDL state laws mean nothing. The laws for CDL's are Federal. Your state (officer) may choose not to enforce them because they don't know them. Here in WV and PA they go by the book. I've seen more pickups pulled over on the side of the road than big rigs. The days of the one ton tow trucks and flat beds are gone. Yes 26k is the limit. A trailor with a gvwr of 10k and over is also the limit. They are not too concerned about the gvw tag on the door as long as your is truck licensed for the combined gross weight. They want your tax money.

Correct

garrett

trailer looks good can't wait to see the trailer in person when i come up again to work on the trucks again good luck with every thing and stick to doing your home work on the laws and if your need some one to drive it for you i can with all the **** i have on my cdl you should have just got a nice pete or a k w and go to the pulls in class

Weighed in today, 31,820lbs. :eek:

With the empty truck & trailer we scale in at 17,400, about 1500lbs LESS than we scaled at pulling the truck with the bumper pull, and it still pulls better :)

RyanB said:
So whats the other truck on the trailer going to be other than the 98??? havn't heard you talk to much about other trucks yet.

Ryan

We have another 98 we are working on, Ex Cab LB 3500 :evil

Look for a debut in Houston, and a hook at Haisley's as well.

You guys need to do a little more homework on the 10K CDL bit. There IS a loophole.

The biggest thing that scares me about exceeding any manufactures GCW, is liability. If an accident is involved then you could be sued for negligence, which opens up the punitive damages. Punitive damages are the insane $$, like the $2,000,000,000 for a spilled cup of coffee. I know lots of people do it, but just cause the law says its ok, doesn't mean it right. It is just a calculated risk is all. Lots of things are illegal, but doesn't mean that people can't sue if something happens. I just know my luck, if something were to happen, it would happen to me!

Sledpuller said:
You guys need to do a little more homework on the 10K CDL bit. There IS a loophole.

Ok smartypants school us on the loophole. :poke: