New pulling truck hauler!

Maybe they mean you need a DOT number to pull a trailer over 10k?

mech2161 said:
Yeh Joe what it amounts to is they "think" they know the law. It's up to you to know it to protect your azz.

Good points all.

Seriously, this is a huge motivation to drop back to a 2.6" class and drive the dang thing to the pull like we used to. Owning two trucks just to be able to pull one, is just getting economically unfeasible.

Kev, yup, like I said before, the laws are so bad, that no one understands all the facets of it, and the cops write the tickets, and let the judges sort it out in court (if they can). Doggone shame.

Personally I agree with one of the posters above about the number of yahoos on the road. I'd have no issue taking an over-the-road test with my truck all loaded up, if that would actually improve the situation.

And the RV crowd, that's just insane. They must have a hell of a lobbying body in D.C. to keep them free & clear. I can't see that lasting forever. There's taxes to be collected there too!!!

Nice truck, my father in law has a similar one too: 1997 GMC c6500 with a Cat 3116E. Not the fastest but definitely one of the more obnoxious ones on the road.

01-6500-profile-ext.jpg

01-6500-exterior1.jpg

01-6500-exterior-back2.jpg

I think you are wrong there. I think anyone who tows a trailer should have a CDL, regardless of weight or length.

That gives the DOT another chance to weed out the idiots they mistakenly gave a drivers licence to in the first place by making them pass another test. We've all seen these people on the road...now imagine them pulling something behind them.

$.02

Since when did a piece of paper make someone a better driver????:bang

I have seen ton's of people driving vehicles and you wonder how the heck they got a CDL with the dumb **** they do. WTF

They can stick that CDL up their ass... It's for farm use. :blahblah1:

Since when did a piece of paper make someone a better driver????:bang

I have seen ton's of people driving vehicles and you wonder how the heck they got a CDL with the dumb **** they do. WTF

They can stick that CDL up their ass... It's for farm use. :blahblah1:

A piece of paper doesn't make you a better driver. That's not what I meant by it. The point I was trying to get across was the fact that you have to take another road test to get a CDL. As I said, they get another chance to weed out the morons that don't belong on the road in the first place.
I've seen a heck of a lot more people pull stupid stunts in their little hybrid cars than big rigs.

Ok, when did this become a pissing match over who's qualified to drive a vehicle pulling it? And what you need to pull it? :blahblah1: Get over it people, I don't think they're out to purposely screw the DOT with this setup. Or get their asses in a jam over some legal battle if an accident should happen. I believe they have done some serious homework on this.

Where's the pics of the tow rig with the trailer?

We don't have any pics of the truck and trailer together yet. By the time we got the trailer, we already had the 99 torn down in the shop for the trans, new dash, twin and all kinds of other goodies.

I did just upload the pics I do have of the truck onto my Myspace page though, if you want to check it out! http://www.myspace.com/dieseldiva

Got the trailer almost ready for pulling season.
I had Harold with Furo Racecraft in Stevens Point WI do the work for me. We are way too busy to do the work, and Harold does top notch welding & fabricating!

ladder.jpg

ladder.jpg

Custom Steps for top deck access, note 12k winch.
lightingwires.jpg

lightson.jpg

They are pretty bright!

He also mounted the tool boxes on both sides.
He also lettered the trailer for us, he did a great job:
trailerwlettering.jpg

trailerwlettering2.jpg

trailerwletteringgoose.jpg

trailerwletteringrear.jpg

Hauling a dead Ford. (aptly nick-named DOA)
Winch worked awesome!
truckwred2.jpg

truckwred3.jpg

truckwred.jpg

All that is left to do is mount the spare tire, and mount some backup lights at the rear of the trailer.

Im still amazed at the size of the trailer!

Nice setup on the winch and lights...I have yet to do either one and have them at the top of my list for this season. I will also be wiring in lights for at the rear of the trailer for when chaining down the truck. Just have to figure out how to do it so they don't get in the way of everything.

Ryan

trailer needs more lights on the side of it and not a bad trailer but being that long i think i would have gotten the axles speard apart a little more to balance it more