New pulling truck hauler!

one loop hole is if you are doing it as a hobby you don't need a cdl.which includes racing,( horses,cars, trucks,snowmobiles etc.)even if you make money! i have the paper that states this and was given to me by a dot inspector whom came to my house.

Duster 5.9 said:
one loop hole is if you are doing it as a hobby you don't need a cdl.which includes racing,( horses,cars, trucks,snowmobiles etc.)even if you make money! i have the paper that states this and was given to me by a dot inspector whom came to my house.

LMAO Bring that piece of paper to wipe your azz and your check book when you head this way. The only exception as far as that goes is a motor home.

This is the exception as written.

The Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1986 exempts vehicles used
exclusively for personal use as recreational vehicles and rental trucks used
only to transport the driver's personal and/or household property.

Your pickup is not used exclusively as a recreational vehicle.

mech2161 said:
LMAO Bring that piece of paper to wipe your azz and your check book when you head this way. The only exception as far as that goes is a motor home.

This is the exception as written.

The Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1986 exempts vehicles used
exclusively for personal use as recreational vehicles and rental trucks used
only to transport the driver's personal and/or household property.

Your pickup is not used exclusively as a recreational vehicle.

How about if Garrett's company - Pure Diesel Performance "rents" the truck and trailer to Garrett? or vise versa? He'd be exempt then. :rules:

C-ya

That may work?
My only point is that since 1986 when the CDL laws started many states never enforced it on the private level. For the last two years WV and some other states have realized that they are missing revenue that the law has given them. I'm sure others will follow this lead.
I don't want to see anyone get in trouble because they didn't know.

Bobcat698 said:
We have another 98 we are working on, Ex Cab LB 3500 :evil

Look for a debut in Houston, and a hook at Haisley's as well.

Ah...that would be great to see at Haisley's pull...hopefully its a go for this year! I know if it is, I for sure will be there with mine!I wanted to take the long 30hour run down to huston but I will probably up Moose hunting up north that week.

Anyway, great trailer and I for sure will be jelous of that if I meet you at McDonalds!!!!

I was told by a state trooper that its fine to haul another vehicle, but they can nail anyone that brings a truck to a pull on a trailer to potentially win money, it goes from a recreational vehicle to a competition vehicle.

I am curious as to what Gene is talking about though.

Last edited:
As it reads from the WI DOT page:
Wisconsin has a classified licensing system. The classes are:

Class A:

For operation of a commercial motor vehicle. Any combination of vehicles with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR), actual weight, or registered weight over 26,000 pounds provided the GVWR, actual weight, or registered weight of the towed vehicle(s) is more than 10,000 pounds.

Bobcat698 said:
State Patrol & or the State Trooper would be the guys that pull me over to give a ticket. I talked to a few idiots at the DOT but after a few transfers I got the right people to talk to.

The trailer has electric over hydraulic disk brakes ($1500 option) and the truck will have top of the line brakes as well. It stops very well.

Anyways, I don't want this to turn into a fight over hauling it safely, it will be done properly & safely.

I bet you didn't know that if you tow any trailer with your truck that has a rating of higher than 10k for a GVW, you are required to have a CDL whether you have that much weight on the trailer or not. Do some reading in the towing/hauling section.
Oh ****!! guess I should get my CDL.

Bobcat698 said:

Class A:

For operation of a commercial motor vehicle. Any combination of vehicles with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR), actual weight, or registered weight over 26,000 pounds provided the GVWR, actual weight, or registered weight of the towed vehicle(s) is more than 10,000 pounds.

"actual or registered" That applies to the trailer. Either way that puts you over. Petty much the way I've seen it stated for other states.

mech2161 said:
"actual or registered" That applies to the trailer. Either way that puts you over. Petty much the way I've seen it stated for other states.

Yep, exactly. Trailer is set at 25,990 for GVW. I am all set CDL wise, just need to get the dually & trailer inspected for my DOT numbers.

Bobcat698 said:

Class A:

I read that the same way as you Garrett, but it blows my mind that somehow this is now being interpreted (on a grand scale) as "any trailer over 10k gvwr needs a CDL."

It still blows my mind. How do you get this wacko interpretation from that sentence? Have our grammar and reading comprehension skills gone that far into the shizzer???

The other thing that drives me nuts is I hear all these stories about cops getting ornery and asking if you will compete for a monetary prize or trophy, and then saying "well then it's commercial." OK, fine, it's commercial, but in commerce one generally adds up the profits and subtracts the costs. In the case of pulling, we almost never make money, so if the cop ever asks me, I'm going to say "no, sorry, this vehicle is engaging in losing money."

The root of this problem lies in terrible laws that are hugely overcomplicated and subject to a million interpretations. Here we go, our tax dollars at work.

The system breaks down when the people doing the registering have no connection to or knowledge of matching up tow ratings to how much the vehicle can be registered for (you could probably have your moped registered Class 8 if you asked). So you have this nice registration and all looks good on the surface and they gladly take your money with a smile becase they've compeleted their bureaucratic task. So you end up with a kind of tacit approval to do something that like zstroken says might get you in a lot of trouble.

Wonder what the insurance company does in a worst case scenario? Walk away?

It's so Gene to come in, drop a bomb, then leave. :D

Bobcat698 said:
I was told by a state trooper that its fine to haul another vehicle, but they can nail anyone that brings a truck to a pull on a trailer to potentially win money, it goes from a recreational vehicle to a competition vehicle.

I am curious as to what Gene is talking about though.

I'm not real sure he understands the law. The recreational part only applies to the power unit (tow rig). This is why it's becoming such a big problem. Some are enforcing the laws as written. Others as they seem to interpret it.

nwpadmax said:
I read that the same way as you Garrett, but it blows my mind that somehow this is now being interpreted (on a grand scale) as "any trailer over 10k gvwr needs a CDL."

It still blows my mind. How do you get this wacko interpretation from that sentence? Have our grammar and reading comprehension skills gone that far into the shizzer???

Yeah, its pretty much BS. I personally think it should just be: Scale in at 26,001lbs, you need a CDL, scale in at 25,999, no CDL needed, but the 10k gvwr trailer deal really throws a wrench into the whole thing, And WHY?:bang

nwpadmax said:

That is what it means. Ask Dale why trailer makers started tagging trailers for #9990.

Bobcat698 said:
Yeah, its pretty much BS. I personally think it should just be: Scale in at 26,001lbs, you need a CDL, scale in at 25,999, no CDL needed, but the 10k gvwr trailer deal really throws a wrench into the whole thing, And WHY?:bang

I think you are wrong there. I think anyone who tows a trailer should have a CDL, regardless of weight or length.

That gives the DOT another chance to weed out the idiots they mistakenly gave a drivers licence to in the first place by making them pass another test. We've all seen these people on the road...now imagine them pulling something behind them.

$.02

LMAO how many huge motor homes have you see tore up by some old man that shouldn't be driving anyway.

mech2161 said:
LMAO how many huge motor homes have you see tore up by some old man that shouldn't be driving anyway.

lots

dot cops are pricks pretty much can make a new rule up and pull it out there butt anytime they want,,if ya pull over a 40fter in indiana the truck must have semi plates

Yeh Joe what it amounts to is they "think" they know the law. It's up to you to know it to protect your azz.