New to 6.7’s

smokinVE

$$+VE=NO HP
Picked up an 09, 6.7.

I have no idea what I’m doing here, been a 12v guy.

I read some old threads with dated info, just wanna see if there’s much new now.

Truck currently has a little box on the dash that says HS min max, it has no DPF system and all the EGR system is missing under the hood. The check engine light isn’t on but the light on the PRNDL dings and says service dog every so often. Truck runs good, not in limp mode.

Trans has a deep PPE pan on it, fluid smells new. Shifts great. Lazier at lower throttle, kinda a stall shift at wot but I assume the tuning to save the clutches. Its firm just feels “delayed” like it pulls some fuel at the shift.

First big thing I’d like to fix, the HS thing does not power off, I have to flip a switch. Anyway to make it cycle with the ignition?

What do I need to do to make that light go away.

What’s realistic for a stock bottom end on one of these that’s “reliable” for a daily driver.

Lift pump and actual tuning I assume is my first step?

Lots of guys were doing the 467 and 464’s back in old threads, that still the better choices?

Attachments

• IMG_5712.jpeg
    IMG_5712.jpeg
    540 KB · Views: 17
So on the H&S MiniMaxx, I put mine on a center OFF switch. Up is on constantly and down is on only with the ignition. You will want the constantly on when updating the ECM but you'll probably want it to come on and off with the ignition most of the time. Every now and then my truck will get drunk on the weekend and decide that the DPF (which is in the barn) is full and five me a CEL and warning. I have to re-install the tuning to get rid of the CEL and warning messages. You'll have to have constant power during the install since you must turn the ignition on and off numerous times during the install. I hope yours has the OD transmission tuning installed as well. I've got over 204K miles now with my 68RFE and have towed heavy and ran pretty hard with zero issues. I always boast that the OD tuning has kept it going. I'm no expert but have an '09 with the same setup so if you have questions, holler. I'll sure try to help ya out.

Congrats on joining the wire-fired world!!!!

The BD protect 68rfe valve body gasket kit is a must, with a billet channel plate from dnj components. Verify it has trans tuning though, it should hover around 225 psi cruising and blip 250 psi in reverse with a quick stab of throttle while holding the brake. I run a fleece in tank pump that's been solid, feeding a sportsman cp3 into some 60% overs. Sxe 369 on a stock manifold. Good tuning produces almost 800 at the wheel. Studs, cat filter, Yada yada.
Any questions just ask. I dd mine. Love it compared to my old 2g.

Good deal thanks fellas

I ordered the in tank pump.

I’ll look more at the power switch on the little box, I didn’t notice that but I was also not paying attention.

Trans is supposed to have something done to it by Randy’s, but it doesn’t look like it’s ever been out. Has a deep PPe pan on it. Fluid smells new/good. Shifts well, but I’ll definitely look into the suggestions

These things typically run cooler? It’s 110° or so in az this time of year. Truck will get up to 200(on the gauge) t-stat opens and it drops down to 170~ and more or less stays there.

Misumoto radiator, hoses and air to air trans cooler (it doesn’t look factory but possibly is? big grey in color sitting in between the rad/ic area.

I haven’t looked into anything at all, just noticed it and didn’t seem right to me so figured I’d ask before I chase something.

Mine would run about 194 to 204 on a day like that. Stock cooling system besides a bypass. Trans is typically 100 degrees over the outside temp plus or minus 10 degrees

Thank you, guess I haven’t really paid attention to the trans temps, I’ll start watching so I have an idea.

I’ll toss a t-stat at it just to see. Likely the big ass radiator causing it. I fought with cold temps and a first gen before with one of those radiators. :((

Is the Mopar water pump the best one to run? I’ll change it out too, it has a stain under it like it had been leaking before. Nothing active but might as well if I have the cooling system drained.

Anything else I would do while I’m at that area? Belt tensioner idler, damper bolts need to be lock-tite while I’m in that area? Mopar or dex-cool? (Dex-cool I get for free).

I only run cummins water pumps. Have had good luck with the rotella elc coolant. Can't go wrong with a green belt.. id say your stat is just fine though.

Aren’t the Cummins pumps $300 and a plastic impeller now? I’d buy two gates brand. Put one behind the seat and a hundred dollar bill in your pocket.

Aren’t the Cummins pumps $300 and a plastic impeller now? I’d buy two gates brand. Put one behind the seat and a hundred dollar bill in your pocket.
Or, you could put a cheap one in there, have a $100 in your pocket, and have the water pump go out when you are towing a trailer down interstate on a 100F day. I'll spend that $100 to keep from having to swap a cheap pump out on the side of the road at the most inconvenient time any day. That's how I think about things. They won't go out when you have plenty of time on your hands and the temp is right for workin'. ;)
Get rid of that old H&S head gasket eater tune.
Whatever do you mean? Am I that lucky to get over200K with a crap tune? Tom didn't do that bad, did he? LOL

You might be right Jory. Plastic still bugs me, but I’ve never had a pump go out totally I guess either. They just start weeping and squeaking for a bit before I change them.

I will admit I get a good feeling when my parts box has that red and white sticker with the big C on it.

You might be right Jory. Plastic still bugs me, but I’ve never had a pump go out totally I guess either. They just start weeping and squeaking for a bit before I change them.

I will admit I get a good feeling when my parts box has that red and white sticker with the big C on it.
I've never seen a Cummins pump with a plastic impeller on it. I'd not be putting plastic in there if I could avoid it completely though regardless of the brand I guess.

Well have a look. Other than old stock all I’m seeing new now is a one size fits all with a plastic impeller.

Back