P-pump cam

cut7

Motor Mods: Colt stage 3 cam; clean-up porting w/ 3-angle valve job; 60# valve springs; adjustable pump timing gear (16.5°); heavy duty head & main bearing bolts; 4k GSK; Bosch .024 DV; CPP 5x14 injectors; Mac rack plug; AFC modded for full travel; #8 plate; electric fuel pump w/ regulated return; tunnel ram dual intake; 3-piece DPS manifold; compound turbos (HE351 w/billet wheel over S475 1.32); BD intercooler; Fluidampr; 5” turbo back exhaust.

I use my truck as a daily driver, I will NEVER race it. I tow on a fairly regular basis. I should add that I have an auto trans (5r110, this motor is in a Ford).

My question is this: My pump is a 175. With my mods, will an aftermaket pump cam help? If so, what RPM range will it be noticable? How much difference will it make?

Last edited:
What advantage would there be to either solution? 215 pumps retard timing at full throttle.

or just send that pump to kevin at northeast and be done for a whole lot cheaper than you think. Your turbos aren't going to be good for much over 6 or 700hp anyway..

Just bench your 180 pump. That will be more than enough for a daily driver.

Bench it. If its setup correctly with a decent set of injectors it will be more than enough for a dailey driver with the turbos you have.

I agree with Brad, the half ton has a benched 160 pump and was making 550+ with a single..

Who do you recommend to bench it? And what is more desirable about the 180 pump?

Better cam, some 215's pull timing at full rack travel. Pulling timing isnt a bad thing either

I got mine used off here, otherwise like Taylor said he can get them made.
I also recommend Kevin at northeast diesel for my pump work..

What do you mean by "Pulling timing"?

It's nearly impossible to explain to someone who hasn't seen what goes on in these pumps to make them work. Watch this video and he mentions in there about how the notches in the plungers on 215 pumps take timing out.

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_nDb9lUaBaU"]P7100 Cutaway Operation - YouTube[/ame]

I have seen that video before. Let me re-phase the question. By pulling, do you mean advancing, or retarding?