P-pump cam

My old 160 pump with a single 64/71.80 pulled 643hp on the dyno on fuel only. A 175hp pump will put more out than one would expect.

People have said for years that the 180-215hp pumps are more desirable because they have a better cam. The cam does allow more fill time which helps the pump fuel better at higher rpm, but the 180-215 pumps handicap you if you are looking for maximum power. A 180-215hp pump can only have the spill port closing set about 3.5mm The 160-175hp pumps can have spill port closure set above 3.5mm which allows more cc's per degree aka faster rate of injection. Rate of injection is closely correlated to total length of injection for a given rack travel. I have seen faster rate of injection, with no other changes on the engine make 80hp more with less black smoke.

The other benefit is the flat plunger. The negative with the 160-175 is the cam and maximum governed speed. Both can be fixed which will then allow the 160-175 to surpass the 180-215pump easily in power production.

For maximum power out of a 12mm, I will take the 160HP pump any day.

My old 160 pump was benched with CDs 5ks and .024s and did 770 on the kids p pump 24v that I sold it to

I made 675hp last year with my 160 pump that I maxed myself, 191dvs and 4k springs.

Max and balance your pump and it will be plenty for your setup. Only difference I noticed when swapping to a 180 pump was fueling over 3300 rpm. No difference in power with the same setup.

I will probably never rev over 3600, so it sounds like my 175 pump will do me just fine.

I know how to max a pump by rotating the barrels, but how do you balance it? Doesn't balancing require some specialty equipment? Mind you, I am a mechanical engineer who worked his way through college as a professional mechanic, so I know my way around a motor. Technical procedures that require some finesse don’t scare me.

I will probably never rev over 3600, so it sounds like my 175 pump will do me just fine.

I know how to max a pump by rotating the barrels, but how do you balance it? Doesn't balancing require some specialty equipment? Mind you, I am a mechanical engineer who worked his way through college as a professional mechanic, so I know my way around a motor. Technical procedures that require some finesse don’t scare me.

Flow bench

If you take it to a pump shop and get it balanced they turn the barrels so that they all deliver equal amounts of fuel to each cylinder. If you were just to eyeball it or turn them fully they won't be supplying equal amounts of fuel. That can cause rough idle, increased smoke, and won't deliver all the horsepower it's capable of. It'll be much easier to put up big power numbers if you get your pump benched and balanced.

Good info to know ....... so silly q .... can I get my 887 pump (215) to not retard @ full throttle ? .... or but new pump that built ?

Good info to know ....... so silly q .... can I get my 887 pump (215) to not retard @ full throttle ? .... or but new pump that built ?

There's no way to make it not pull out timing unless you were to swap out the notched plungers for un-notched ones. I'm not sure if the plungers from the 160, 175, or 180 pumps will work or not though. I know a little bit but by no means am a "pump expert".