P2149

Well for some reason it is still doing the same thing,will not go over 3k rail pressure.Reckon I will be paying a rail pressure sensor next.

That is a chitty situation man. Wouldn't it have saved you money at this point to have just sent it to the dealer to have them Diagnose the symptoms on their star scan tool? Then you wouldn't have had to throw a bunch parts at it.

I would run the harness and look for any kind of exposure, or oil/fuel in the conduit that could have got ahold of the insulation perhaps? I just hate to see you throw money at it changing good parts with other good parts.

Have you tried the fuel pressure relief valve yet? It could just be routing fuel back to the tank and not to the rail

Also would it possible for you to swap out the FRPS with a known good one? If the actual pressure isn't being read correctly the desired pressure won't be built up to where it needs to be by the ECM if that is working correctly

Edit: would help if I read your response LOL

Last edited:
Having the harness and ECM checked out wasn't a ton of money.I got a new rail sensor today and the truck is still doing the same thing but I could actually get 5k rail while reving it,before I couldn't.

Think I am gone to cap the rail just to know for sure that is not the problem.If that don't work then I think I will try a new set of cross over tubes..If I still have the problem after all that then I will be taking it to Jeff at Mumau someone I can trust with my truck.

I have a rail plug and a set of used tubes u are welcome to use them if u like. I work nightshift in morgantown. I can meet u if u want to try them.

I have a plug on order already,I will keep ya in mind if that don't work.

2149 is a generic unknown code. I got that code last nite along with injector #6 code. Truck would barley run. I had just filled up with fuel and when i was leaving the station it started. Finally got it fixed last nite. It was a small dose of water in the fuel. Not saying its your problem but its worth a shot. Drain your tank, change filters, fill up with fresh fuel from a reputable station.

It's worth a try!! I'm going to try this cap if that don't work.I will have to wait until I get back to working which should be anytime but,once I do I will get it running.And I will be sure to keep everyone up to date.

Well I hate to say it,but I found a loose nut on the 5 connector tube back.She fired right up and went to 7k rail on idle.

I still have another problem,the truck is smoking white,no blow by,not making oil,oil don't smell like fuel,the throttle wants to act like it hangs and the rail psi bounce's around.

I have a 2 small fuel leaks/drips that need to be taking care of,but I am calling it a day.

Will this is where I am now.

So the truck starts just fine..It has a pretty good white smoke haze at idle,it also has a miss if you kick the high idle on but leave it low like on the first notch.Unhook the 5th injector and that miss goes away.I also took that 5th injector and moved it to the 1st cylinder but the problem never followed that injector.It stayed on 5

If I try to drive it,it blows massive white smoke,has no power,Rp jumps around and has like a run away throttle.It will sometimes throw a code for the 5th Injector but only when I try to drive it.

Only other two codes that I have is a fan speed code,in which the fan only works half the time and also a crankshaft performance sensor code...I pulled the crank sensor and cleaned it off,it had lots of gunk/oil on it and the code came right back..So I ordered a new sensor for that.

I have searched that code and found some guys with that sensor bad,say that the truck would run very poorly and smoke white etc etc pretty much the same signs I am getting.If anyone has dealt with that 0336 code please let me know how your truck acted and what fixed it.

Glad you got the rail pressure figured out sucks after all that though it was a loose connection

P0336-CRANKSHAFT POSITION (CKP) SENSOR SIGNAL

P0336 - Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor Signal

WHEN MONITORED
With the key on.

SET CONDITION
The voltage detected at the Crankshaft position sensor is below a calibrated value.

POSSIBLE CAUSES
- CKP sensor
- (K24) Signal circuit open
- (K853) 5-volt supply circuit open
- (K975) Return circuit open
- (K24) Signal circuit shorted to (K975) return circuit
- (K853) 5-volt supply circuit shorted to (K975) return circuit
- (K24) signal circuit shorted to (K853) 5-volt supply circuit
- (K24) signal circuit shorted to ground
- (K853) 5-volt supply circuit shorted to battery negative
- Intermittent condition
- ECM

Always perform the Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding.

DIAGNOSTIC TEST

1. CKP SENSOR
Disconnect the CKP sensor harness connector.

NOTE: Check connectors - Clean/repair as necessary.

Measure the resistance between the (K853) 5-volt supply circuit and the (K24) signal circuit of the sensor.

Q: Is the resistance between 900 and 1100 ohms?

YES: Go To 2
NO: Replace the CKP sensor. Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL). See: A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC ) > Verification Tests > Powertrain Verification Test - Ver 1

2. (K24) SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN

Disconnect the ECM harness connectors.
Disconnect the CKP sensor harness connector.
Check connectors - Clean/repair as necessary.
Measure the resistance of the (K24) signal circuit between the ECM harness connector and the CKP sensor harness connector.

Q: Is the resistance less than 10 ohms?

YES: Go To 3
NO: Repair the open (K24) signal circuit. Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL). See: A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC ) > Verification Tests > Powertrain Verification Test - Ver 1

3. (K853) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT OPEN

Measure the resistance of the (K853) 5-volt supply circuit between the ECM harness connector and the CKP sensor harness connector.

YES: Go To 4
NO: Repair the open (K853) 5-volt supply circuit. Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL). See: A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC ) > Verification Tests > Powertrain Verification Test - Ver 1

4. (K975) RETURN CIRCUIT OPEN

Measure the resistance of the (K975) return circuit between the ECM harness connector and the CKP sensor harness connector.

YES: Go To 5
NO: Repair the open (K975) return circuit. Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL). See: A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC ) > Verification Tests > Powertrain Verification Test - Ver 1

5. (K24) SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO (K975) RETURN CIRCUIT

Measure the resistance between the (K24) signal circuit and the (K975) return circuit in the sensor connector.

Q: Is the resistance greater than 100k Ohms?

YES: Go To 6
NO: Repair the short circuit or replace the engine harness. Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL). See: A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC ) > Verification Tests > Powertrain Verification Test - Ver 1

6. (K853) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORTED TO (K975) RETURN CIRCUIT

Measure the resistance between the (K853) 5-volt supply circuit and the (K975) return circuit in the sensor connector.

YES: Go To 7
NO: Repair the short circuit or replace the engine harness. Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL). See: A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC ) > Verification Tests > Powertrain Verification Test - Ver 1

7. (K24) SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED GROUND

Measure the resistance between the (K24) signal circuit and ground.

YES: Go To 8

8. (K853) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND

Measure the resistance between the (K853) 5-volt supply circuit and ground.

YES: Go To 9

9. (K24) SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO (K853) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT

Measure the resistance between the (K24) signal circuit and the (K853) 5-volt supply circuit in the sensor connector.

YES: Go To 10

10. ECM

Reconnect the ECM harness connectors.
Ignition on, engine not running.
With the scan tool, erase DTCs.
Connect a jumper wire between the sensor supply circuit and the sensor return circuit in the sensor harness connector.

Q: Did DTC P0337 set?

YES: Refer to the INTERMITTENT CONDITION Symptom (Diagnostic Procedure). See: Computers and Control Systems > Component Tests and General Diagnostics > Intermittent Condition
NO: Replace the ECM. Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL).

Hope that this helps some! Let me know if you need any more flow charts, diagrams, or pinouts THROW THE TEST LIGHT AWAY!!! Invest in a good multimeter.

Well I can finally say the truck is running with no issues.

I had a bad miss,white smoke,run away throttle,kept throwing a injector code for number 5,you name it I had it.

So I ordered a new crank sensor and noticed today when I got under the truck one of the teeth was bent on the wheel that sits behind the damper.So I bent it back,got it lined up to looking like it never got bent,fired the truck up and it's running smooth as butter!!!No miss,No white smoke,No injector code.

Never even installed the new crank shaft sensor.

Thanks for everyone who has posted with ideals.I can't believe that bent tooth was giving me all that trouble.

Last edited:
Well I can finally say the truck is running with no issues.

I had a bad miss,white smoke,run away throttle,kept throwing a injector code for number 5,you name it I had it.

So I ordered a new crank sensor and noticed today when I got under the truck one of the teeth was bent on the wheel that sits behind the damper.So I bent it back,got it lined up to looking like it never got bent,fired the truck up and it's running smooth as butter!!!No miss,No white smoke,No injector code.

Never even installed the new crank shaft sensor.

Thanks for everyone who has posted with ideals.I can't believe that bent tooth was giving me all that trouble.

A bent tooth will throw off a lot of stuff that depends on the sensor's output

It's nice to see these problems get solved and good information on the troubleshooting involved