Perkins rebuild and Allison6sp swap

Haven't been able to work on it this week had to go help a freind move some parts and cut up some scrap. going to hit ithard this week end.

Dale

Well I took off the cast iron alt.bracket and made a alluminum peice.11lb differance.Weight is mpg.rite.going to get the front mounts back on tomorrow and set the block on it oil pan so I can get the head back on and torqed and buttoned up.
Dale

Didn't get to work in the garage today.Spent it with the wife.tomorrow going to live out there.I need to get something done.
first thing need to go over to my buddies house and get his plassma cutter up.and get some frame work done.
Dale

I just got back from Vance's house he lent me a plasma cutter.I got a big surprise when I got back home.I tried to open the walkin door it wouldn't open but a couple of inches had to push hard there was allkinds of stuff in front of it.Git in and the place was full of smoke.The electric heater small furnice had blown up.It must have been one h--- of boom it nocked stuff of of a schelf that was 5ft above the heater and other stuff off the wall.

No I can't beleave it didn't.it didn't even pop the breaker.Going to try to find a electric furnace out of a mobil home..I have some of those heater that go on a propane tank.They are just a pain in the but.

Dale

Sounds like you got lucky. My luck it would have burnt the garage down if that would have happened to me.

One of the eliment blow apart it was a 6000w wall hanging Dayton from Granger it was old when I got.

Dale

Hope you have better luck with your swap than me.
I scattered something in our trans moving the truck around the gravel driveway today. I posted my findings on max's thread on 4btswaps.

O man that sucks do you have ant idea what went wrong.thinksomthing could be different in the VB than the 06.

Dale

Last edited:
Got alittle done this weekgot the head on and torqed down 32head bolts by the time I torq,them down to 80lb then turned them to the recomended degrees I check some and they came up over 200lb that is all the torq,wrench went to.I was beet my son said I was getting to be a big wus.
Picyure of the big ballancer
Photo0397.jpg

Photo0398.jpg

Photo0399T.jpg

Photo0403.jpg

Photo0408.jpg

Photo0409.jpg

Photo0407.jpg

Photo0415.jpg

Photo0413.jpg

Photo0406.jpg

I got the motor sae #3 houseing back on and the flywheel and trany.mounted on the motor.That allison is da-- heavey to get picked up and put on a floor jack by your self.
Photo0402.jpg

Photo0401.jpg

adaptor ring mounted on the tc.
Photo0404.jpg

Photo0405.jpg

Dale

going to start on redoing parts of the frame I did 20yrs ago when I had the 372 Perkins in it.Cut off some old mount I used when it had the MT40allison 6sp.Just making it look some what cleaner.And alot easier to do with out a motor and trany sitting in the way.It does suck with out my electric heater.I have been useing propane heaters the one that look like a sunflower.To me they smell tomuch and give me a headace after a few hours.
I painted the fuel line because after a winter they would start to rust.I figure that there was enough shiney part to keep me busy.

Dale

Last edited:
Didn't get anything done on Perky today.I had to get the 72 Chevy inspected for liecens it failed had to put brake and tyrod ends on. not tobad for having the 5.9 in it for 4years and it being a 1/2ton.
I need to pick up some plasma tips so I can finish up the front crossmember.Then drop the motor and allison in.

Dale

Last edited:
Them ally's are a big pig of a trans aren't they?

Seeing them pics of that Perkins brings back memories..... We had a 354 in our Oliver Tractor until it bit the dust with a blown headgasket once again..... It needed an overhaul in a big way and I said screw it and put a cranked up Cummins in the tractor.. Much improved. :D

So, with those broken rings, did it gouge up the cylinder walls too bad?

Them ally's are a big pig of a trans aren't they?

Seeing them pics of that Perkins brings back memories..... We had a 354 in our Oliver Tractor until it bit the dust with a blown headgasket once again..... It needed an overhaul in a big way and I said screw it and put a cranked up Cummins in the tractor.. Much improved. :D

So, with those broken rings, did it gouge up the cylinder walls too bad?

yep the allison is big but not as big as the rto6610 that I took out.I had a allison MT40 6sp in the trick when I had the 372 in it the trany was real heavy it was castiron.
There wasn't any scaring in the cylinder at all the sleaves must be da-- hard.

Dale