Perkins rebuild and Allison6sp swap

Here is the shift cable and bracket for the allison from GM.they are very prood them should have been gold plated.
Photo0428.jpg

Some pic.of the twins waiting to be put on.Going to wait and put them on after the motor is in.
Photo0431.jpg

Photo0427.jpg

Photo0426.jpg

Photo0425.jpg

Photo0430.jpg

Redoing the front crosmember while the motor is out.
Photo0416.jpg

Photo0417.jpg

Photo0433.jpg

Photo0420.jpg

Trany cooler 9"x24"is a hydrolic cooler from a old redimix truck.and power stearing cooler is from a 2000superduty.
Photo0421.jpg

Picked up a bigger electric fan.not sure what it is from.
Photo0423.jpg

Dale

I got the fire wall cleaned up and put some Dynamate on the firewall behind the motor and got some more sound deadner on the floorpans.warmm ing up the garage good so I can finish under coating.Got the wiring harnes for the front clip rerouted so you can't see it nomore.And rerouted the fuel line and return line.I can't deside where I want to put my switch for the exhaust brake.I used to have it on the 10sp. shifter.
May08Perky020.jpg

I realy don't have any more room on my dash for another switch.I would like to keep it close.

Dale

Last edited:
since you are taking it out how did you do the clutch linkage on the rto6610?? and what driveline u joints did you run.

Since you have had this truck together a long time other than the allison any other changes you would have made or have done to make it work better..

btw thanks for the responses in my rearend thread. I am going to take your advice and try it with the 3.54's for a while...

I used a hydrolic master cyl.from US brake and a hydrolic over air slave cyl. from a Volvo class 8 mixer.I had a pull type clutch the slave cyl, was a push so I mad a pivoy type arm for the linkage.I will find a link that the guy I sold it to made work real nice I could push the clutch to the floor with my index finger.There was a 3800bl pressureplate in it.
the ujoint. was 1500series the one at the rearend was the original size for the 75 ford.
Since you have had this truck together a long time other than the allison any other changes you would have made or have done to make it work better..
Don't understand make the truck better?
Glad to help with the rearend
Here is a link.this is the guy's name to look at on the thread post 163.midniteplowboyy link Fuller trannys and RoadRanger ten speeds - Page 6
Dale

Last edited:
[Since you have had this truck together a long time other than the allison any other changes you would have made or have done to make it work better..]

just looking for any problems or things I might run into that I haven't thought about running a cummins and an rto..

Im running a pull clutch and a clutch brake so I will look at volvo's and see how they work...

thanks again hope you like the allison...

I don't know what I would have done different than what is done to the truck now.I went through 2one other air ride setup.I like the one that is on it now.I started out with the C6 that was in the truck origanally then went to a T18 4sp with a 5831B spicer aug.for the OD.I kept destroying the clutch and trany then I went with a MT40 6sp.allison out of a 1972 International dumptruck .Still ran the spicer.Then I put the RT6610 in about a year went by I had the Trany made into a RTO.and got rid of the spicer.and now in with the 1000 allison.the first three trany's had the 372 Perkins for the motor.Then in 96 I got the Perkins Phaserkinda the same motor but runs alot stronger and quiter.boothe got great MPG.
I ran the clutch brake also.get a slave cyl.froma salvage yard they are like 750.00 new.
Dale

Part no.for the shiftcable 2006 chevy-Allison cable kit,no.#19167308 $154.40
bracket for the cable to the trany. Bracket #15150104 $26.04

Dale

My son and I got the motor and trany in thursday night I tryed by myself couldn't do it alone didn't want to scratch the paint Haha.Making a new rear crossmember this mornning.Monday going to the driveshaft shop to get the front half of the one frome the 10sp.made longer and a new yoke for the allison.I would like a one peice shaft but 86" is alittle long.

Dale

Got the driveshaft brought to the shop yesterday afternoon to be made 2 1/2" longer,and have a 1410 yoke put in place of the 550 one from the 10sp.and had the female part of the slip yoke replaced because the ujoint caps was turning in the yoke.it was done by noon today.going to get it tomorrow morning.Not bad service less than a day's Turn around.
got the rear crossmember done.when I got the bracket for the shifter cable put on the trany the hole for the cable went inline with the crossmember.Had to trim the sides and weld in a peice of pipe for the cable to go through so the strenght of the crossmember wasn't hurt.Will post some pic tomorrow night.
Dale

Last edited:
Motor and trany sitting back in the frame.
Photo0443.jpg

Photo0444.jpg

Another shot of the midle intake ports
Photo0445.jpg

Stearing linkage and oil pan clearance.I had to not the oilpan to make room for the draglink. didn't have to do enything to the pickup tube.
Photo0449.jpg

Photo0450.jpg

Allison up in it's new home.
Photo0446.jpg

Photo0447.jpg

Rear crossmember and shift cable.
Photo0452.jpg

Photo0458.jpg

Photo0457.jpg

Photo0459.jpg

New driveshaft $$$
Photo0460.jpg

Photo0461.jpg

Dale

Last edited:
Driveshaft Unlimited Arnold Mo.Yhey are very picky.They have done alot of shafts for my over the past 25yrs.never had a problem usually they have it done the next day.

Dale

I'll havta check em out. Im gonna need a couple one of these days. if I can get motivated to start this swap

They do good work.
I finally found a powerstearing pump that fits my air compressor it is off a Mercedes truck came across by accedent at Larry Schmitt truck parts.he had a new one sitting on the shelf.It feels like Christmas but I had to buy it.

Dale

this truck must tow awesome! great job on the conversion. the dash looks straight out of a big rig!

Thanks for the kind words the truck does tow very well at least it did with the 10sp.should do as good or better with the allison.it took awhile to build the dash some of the gauges will read 2thing with a flip of a switch.

Dale