Pro Street 1st Gen Build Thread

Yea sorry chase they are 54s Ryan Milliken has 56s and I keep switching the numbers in my head!

Awesome, just awesome! Where'd you source the four link setup from? Any updates on it?

I sure hope. I for the brackets from chassis engineering and the heim joints and rod selves from ruffstuffspecialties the rest is home brewed. I've got back on it, will have a few updated pictures here soon.

These are the only half way exciting pictures I have to post. Finished this up today. Decided to make a simple tubular transmission crossmember with an integrated drive shaft safety loop. This is what I came up with
193c10a41a40ecf0718603ca9c64f1d4.jpg
c04ffb89470ebe60958f474e94c00d88.jpg
31ea80ddf83a3b7f745fa3431420ca4e.jpg
8524d6047cccc03cdf41e9ba102b240c.jpg
5350a6cbfde644cde618bf1fe3932638.jpg
a33f12f40b5cc313988fd351733a1678.jpg
Pretty simple really. Used two 1" U pieces from Allstar cut them to length desired and welded them up. Then used 1 1/4" .120 wall for the main pieces, with 1/4" thick mounting plates. Added some gussets to the loop for strength against downward flexing. Made my actual trans mount out of 1/4" plate and the pedestal out of the same 1 1/4" had Tim Tig weld it all up. Didn't have a whole lot of time in it and it's a huge weight savings. I haven't done exact weighing yet but I imagine it saved around 65-70lbs Mabey more. I have been working on wire wheeling the frame and getting it all cleaned up so no pictures really worth posting at this time. Going to add a little more bracing to my front frame 4 link brackets and build a wishbone style locator bar here very soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks good. I can see building one for ease of removal or to incorporate the hoops in but I've never understood the weight savings claim. I don't have a 1st gen crossmember here so I don't know(maybe they are huge) but I just weighed a 2nd gen and a superduty one and they are both slightly over 20lbs. How are you calculating a 70lb savings?

Looks good. I can see building one for ease of removal or to incorporate the hoops in but I've never understood the weight savings claim. I don't have a 1st gen crossmember here so I don't know(maybe they are huge) but I just weighed a 2nd gen and a superduty one and they are both slightly over 20lbs. How are you calculating a 70lb savings?

I'd be interested to know the exact amount on the firstgen cause I used one in my 3/4 ton with my swap and It's one heavy chunk of steal on yer back and tryin to lift up. I pulled a 2nd gen cross member to rob the tranny out of and it wadnt near the weight of my first gen. Them older ones are busty!

A 1st gen transmission crossmember with skid plate is stupid heavy. I have no idea why Chrysler designed them so strong I will get a real weight soon but I'd say it's every bit of 75lbs with frame brackets and skid plates. Cole Dow said he didn't remember the exact number of weight savings when he built a tubular style crossmember but he said he knows it was well over 60lb savings

A 1st gen transmission crossmember with skid plate is stupid heavy. I have no idea why Chrysler designed them so strong I will get a real weight soon but I'd say it's every bit of 75lbs with frame brackets and skid plates. Cole Dow said he didn't remember the exact number of weight savings when he built a tubular style crossmember but he said he knows it was well over 60lb savings

That's crazy they are that heavy. And I guess I didn't take the skid plate weight into consideration. Mine is long gone anyway. Just curious.

Ok John I've got some facts for you haha. I weighed the factory crossmember and this is what I came up with
4577f3645bd85cc43d4755f3be746363.jpg
and the unnecessary chunk of steel looks like this
ae341e3771c7ff08e6910a3a84d04a93.jpg
now I no longer have the 2 other brackets for the crossmember or the factory skid plate but I'm estimating them to be a combined weight of 12-15lbs more. I weighed my new crossmember and it weighed a whopping 7lbs so I saved a good 55lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk