pro street an index class?

The number of pro street trucks has incresed drastically in the last year. I mean look at TS

It's amazing how most of you just don't get it:bang The idea is to provide classes where EVERYONE can feel, and be, competitive in. That promotes participation!!

Having several index classes does not slow down anybody that doesn't want to slow down. It does not "get rid" of, or penalize anyone. It is still heads up racing and if you want to go faster than the XX.XX index, move up to the next index class:poke:

I race in a monthly "Street Car Shootout" that has several index and dial classes...There are HUNDREDS of racers there!! The only people that slow down are those that choose too.

How many trucks, besides Sprotsman ET, show up at the avg, "all diesel" event?? 10...maybe 15...20 tops in the heads up classes? Why? Because some people would rather not come if they have to run someone 2 sec faster than them. Me personally, I don't care...I'll race anybody...especially the way most of you with "record breaking" attitudes react on the tree!!:stab:LOL

Until classes are figured out to promote and include participation as opposed to exclude or deter, "diesel only" drag racing will only continue to die a slow death.

Come on Greg, next thing you'll insist everyone gets a trophy so nobody feels left out ;) :poke:

I sometimes race my gasser (which runs low 9's) in a 9.60 no-electronics index class. While we still don't have huge turnouts in these classes, it is interesting how many of the cars can't even run the index. It's a bit refreshing that people won't slow their cars down 2 or 3 seconds like what happens now in the NHRA .90 classes. That said, I still think the diesel community is more about running as quick as you can. The 11.90 class still seems to be a work in progress. I see some events with a decent turnout, others with maybe 4 trucks. I personally think this is not a case of "if you add the class they will come".

Everyone can run as fast as thier safety equipment will allow...

Oh wait...that won't work...

It's index racing...so people will have to slow down! :doh: :rolleyes:

Thats different if you make a # of different indexes, the OP said change PS to 10.5 not make a stair step of classes. That may be ok but now you have a bunch of small classes as compared to a couple of larger classes. There were 16 PS trucks racing last weekend, I think only 1 broke and didnt make it to the finals.

There is the same problem in pulling, everyone gets but hurt because they dont have enough money or brains to build a truck to compete so they keep wanting more rules and restrictions to get a class thier truck fits in. Everyone wants to be in first place and if the current rules wont let them get thier then make a new class so they will be top of the heap.

Keep PS the way it is and maby add a 10.5 class. Bet it wont last a year due to poor participation (sp?) just my opinion.

There is the same problem in pulling, everyone gets but hurt because they dont have enough money or brains to build a truck to compete so they keep wanting more rules and restrictions to get a class thier truck fits in. Everyone wants to be in first place and if the current rules wont let them get thier then make a new class so they will be top of the heap.

How many times I got to tell you this isnt why I started the thread? hell i have a 100% win rate season in my slow truck. Yall fast guys keep breaking all you want, lol.

A friend/race planner said he's been hearing racers say they'd like to see this and he asked me to throw it out there to see what the racers thought about some class ideas.

I like the 11.90 class and think it should stay 11.90 to 12.0 its a great class for those faster trucks that don't want to compete in the brackets. Heck the wife running the DD sits on the tree forever when running brackets.

PS as much as it would suit my truck right now to run 10.5's I can not see neutering the class and slowing it down. I think a 10.5 index would only hurt the PS and SS class's numbers and while we have a good number of trucks that meet the PS class its not the case every where else from what I have seen. If I'm not mistaken Scott our TX event was one of the biggest turnouts for the season so not really good for comparison.

so what about joining ss and ps and making another faster class thats indexed?

super pro and a 11.0 ?

Everyone can run as fast as thier safety equipment will allow...
Oh wait...that won't work... It's index racing...so people will have to slow down! :doh: :rolleyes:

Greg has suggested this before and I really don't have any problem with it. The only thing it would hurt right now are the really quick Super Street trucks. I'm assuming you would do away with all the other rules such as weight and special suspension or equipment? Anything goes expect electronic boxes as long as you don't break out?

I can't see why anything other than electronics boxes would apply to index classes.

if you sit back and look at all the race orginizations that offer p/s class, what have been the fastest side by side semi's and finals ?( et and mph) and while your looking at the last four years that I know of you will see a couple of BONZIA passes (record attempts) or what ever but at the end of all the research you will find the the number will be a mid 10's anyway:tree:$.02

When would a person know if any rule or class changes will be made? I ran consistent mid 10's in p/s this year and it worked out good for me, but I plan on making my truck faster this winter to be more competative in P/S next year. I just wouldn't change anything if a 10.5 class was going to be added.

I originally built my truck for SS since I still drive it on the street, but had to go to P/S because of the battery/ fuel cell rule change.

If you are interested in running the NHRDA, I'd not worry about a 10.5 index class unless Randy has done a complete 180. You can contact him to clairify to be sure.

There wont be a 10.5 index class for quite sometime.
Devon you will still be safe in P/S i wouldnt worry about not doing any work to your truck. A little bit of work and you will be consistant high 9's and very likely will be able to get mid 9's with no problem.

11.90 index will be the only index class I see for quite some time.
Next thing everyone will want to index Pro Stock and Top Diesel because the new guys coming up in that class cant be as fast as Scheids or Banks.

I think when you really stop and think about it Greg's suggestion makes a lot of sense. Do whatever you want to your truck, run it to see what it will do and enter the appropriate class, nothing could be simpler. Go for the glory and push your truck to the limit and risk spending a lot of the time watching others because you broke your truck, or dial it back and go rounds and most likely win a lot of races in the class. If you are bumping up against the index, step it up a class or dial it back and own it with driving ability. The 11.50 index may cause a few problems because of the roll bar requirement so a slight adjustment maybe needed there to accomodate the trucks what don't want to put in a roll bar. I think a 1/10 to 11.6 is probably enough. the rest seem reasonable. Not sure you would need an index for the really quick trucks so maybe a 11.6, 10.0 and unlimited might work best. Again I can live with what NHRDA currently has in place, the 11.90 class has helped a bunch and it is fun to race. I would like to see a 5/10 protree to put in the possibility of red lighting. I don't know how you'd red light on a .4 tree unless you are staged waaaaay deep or just flat left early.