Project Leftovers: The Rise of Frankenstein

They look like summit racing seats, I bought a black pair 6 years ago for my chevelle that look to be an identical style

Yes they are summit brand seats. I think they are about $160 each.

Yes they are summit brand seats. I think they are about $160 each.

That's roughly what I paid. Hope they hold up well for you, mine have a few small cuts in the vinyl just from handling and storage

Update: Begging for Votes....
Extremely tight competition this year amongst the Ram trucks to get voted into DPC 2015. Project Leftovers: Frankenstein/Todd Welch #18 is the only 12 valve Cummins on the ballot, and one of just two mechanically injected (P-Pumped) Rams.

Loyal 12 valve fans, now is the time to step up and send in a ballot!

Loyal dinosaur injection (P-Pump) fans, now is the time to step up and send in a ballot!

Loyal sleeper (stock appearing hotrod) fans, now is the time to step up and send in a ballot!

For those CompD Members that use Book Face, we need your help on Facebook as well, please like the Project Leftovers: Frankenstein Cummins facebook page at:
https://www.facebook.com/projectleftoversfrankensteincummins

Last edited:
I'm going to the store to get a magazine entry form today, is that the only way I can vote or can it be done online.

I'm following the build on Facebook and you guys have my vote. The fabrication on that truck is amazing.

I'm going to the store to get a magazine entry form today, is that the only way I can vote or can it be done online.

thank you for the vote, and as has been said you must purchase a magazine to vote. have to cut out the ballot and send it in.

I'm following the build on Facebook and you guys have my vote. The fabrication on that truck is amazing.

Thank you very much, I really appreciate the kind words. It was quite a project and for a while wasn't sure I could make it all fit, but it fits and hope to have it all back together shortly.

Once the issues I'm you'll have my vote. Any other compD trucks in the running?

Mine made it in #2 slightly outdated setup as the truck now sports a Deckplated 6.7 roller motor, 250% sticks, and triples :ylsuper: Will ill make sure to throw you guys some votes. Good Luck!

Update: Motor Mounts

While finishing up the motor build, we built some semi-rigid motor mounts to help tame the motor torque-over that commonly breaks boost hoses and turbo mounts.

Motormounts%203_zpsp5r6rzg7.jpg

Motormounts%204_zpspswxfmwh.jpg

Motormounts%205_zpsuiwkbeqb.jpg

Those look a lot easier than the trim to fit energy suspension pieces I had! Where did you get them?

Bet he bought some bulk urethane and cut them done on a lathe.

Did the same with mine. Bought a 1ft chunk and cut it down.

Attachments

• IMG_2835.jpg
    IMG_2835.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
This is an awesome build, I cant believe I missed it to this point!

I didn't know you could do floor plates with a NHRA or IHRA roll bar.

Those look a lot easier than the trim to fit energy suspension pieces I had! Where did you get them?

Yes, we've tried the energy suspension mounts on previous build projects and didn't like the marginally better than stock results and numerous blown boots and tweaked charge pipes and coolers. We directly produced these urethane based mounts in-house.

This is an awesome build, I cant believe I missed it to this point!

I didn't know you could do floor plates with a NHRA or IHRA roll bar.

A roll bar has a lot more flexibility than a roll cage with regard to NHRA specifications. Don't try to build an 8.50 certified roll cage with floor plates before checking with your local chassis inspector, or you might end up redoing the whole setup.

Update: New Motor Install

The new motor is complete and we found some spare time this past weekend to complete the install. The motor itself isn't too flashy or assuming, but it's the internal components and machining that really count!!!

MotorInstall%208_zpssfo3lc1a.jpg

We re-used the Keating Machine billet timing cover from the other motor with the failed stud. This provides easy access to the adjustable timing gear that came with the Northeast Diesel 13mm pump. The same head was used complete with the side-draft intake fitted with a stock intake plate with a second air inlet that was home-built by Todd.

MotorInstall%206_zpsxwjiw0wn.jpg

We reused a couple of billet freeze plugs from another project motor and also installed (2) block heaters for faster engine warm-up time/increased reliability from the redundant setup. Warm coolant is essential for fast/easy starting at high altitude in the winter time with a decompressed motor.

MotorInstall%204_zpssxcsv3fw.jpg

An SFI-rated flexplate that originally came from BD was utilized to comply with NHRA rules. This flexplate has been on at least two other motors in the past and it's still holding up fine.

MotorInstall%203_zpsleri5ra9.jpg

The motor install went smoothly with two people, I'm so used to working by myself that I expected it to take a day or more to bolt up the new motor.

MotorInstall%2011_zpsq0tt5wfy.jpg

MotorInstall%2013_zpsltofzcgi.jpg

Getting closer!!!
MotorInstall%2016_zpsedap6kyq.jpg

MotorInstall%2020_zpsez4o4kgl.jpg

MotorInstall%2021_zpsa7pw0o0l.jpg

Lots of plumbing to hook up on this motor, notice the bare mount waiting for the Bell water/air cooler to be re-installed. Also visible is the electric water pump that allows high rpm without high coolant pressure issues.

MotorInstall%2023_zpsglhtbwpo.jpg

Where are you guys building this at? Im in st george, and would love to check it out. Or if you ever need an extra set of hands im down.

How do you plan on setting the timing? I've been pinning my pump then rotating the engine back past tdc to desired advance. I have an ati balancer with degree marks