Project Z28 Diesel , Hot Rod Magazine Drag Week 2009

I've been using aluminum rods for many years , but I have done a set of rods a while back for a diesel , , I would venture to say no one has yet to run one . I know that whoever is building Wade's motor went with a 3.75 stroke , 1.156 top fuel pin and aluminum rods. But that old news

There is a lot more to pistons the materals

This projects is going from talk at the lunch table to first quilifing pass at Drag week in 100 days , its 90 days away from Drag week now, and the project is going like gang busters

Nitrous Express is going to do a custom shark system similar to the one on the NX Dragster

Nitrous Express Next Generation Nitrous Oxide Systems

Parts are showing up , Thanks Mat Snow at Snow Boost coolers the MPG Max is here http://www.snowperformance.net/The

tires are coming from Mickey Thompson, Mickey Thompson Performance Tires Wheels

[/url] wheels are coming from Wheels Vintiques Wheel Vintiques | Welcome

Greg at ZZ is working on the new billet intakes for both the NX Mustang and Project Z28 Diesel
ZZ Home

The rods are here from TTS and good looking TTS Power Systems

The pistons are just back from PolyDyne Performance coatings by Polydyn

The 6.7 modified turbo’s are on the way from Industrial Injection Industrial Injection Service, Inc. - Salt Lake City, UT

RPM Performance is providing the Data Logger and the controls for the VVT 6.7 l turbo’s Racing Data Loggers made by RPM Performance Products

Dr Performance is providing the standalone computer and their new fuel filtrations system and pump Dr. Performance - 1.877.338.7373

And the list keeps getting bigger , thanks everyone , this is the diesel world going head to head with the gas world , we are going to run in a gas class and with a little luck bring home the plac and jacket

The short block is getting ready for assembly , here the crank is being balanced . The reactor aluminum flywheel and ATI balancer is attached at either end ,

DSCN1208.jpg

the TTS rods were dead on , but still every part is checked and weighed

DSCN1206.jpg

here is another engine on the dyno , a few guesses as to what it is , “giddy up, giddy up XXX “ is a clue

DSCN1202.jpg

409's came in all kinds of heavy duty trucks, and passenger cars. whats this one out of compy

Its going in a pristine 1962 2 door hard top boulevard cruiser .
Its one of many projects that are going on .

We worked on the new twin VVT turbo’s from Industrial Injection , the sound of this project is going to be wild , with true dual stainless exhaust to the rear bumper.
We are down to 10 weeks before the fist day of Drag Week , and with a mandated first test session in less then 6 weeks, there is a lot of work going on .
I wished I could show you the new Billet intake manifold from ZZ , it’s a true work of art , but its under wraps until its on the engine .

I’m just trying to keep the Hp down , we are shooting for around 900 hp with a very low boost number , under 30 psi.
The new cylinder heads are really coming along great , with flow numbers that are going to put then at the top of the list .

You know I called down to II just cause I was curious, I think it's cool that they are putting in 64mm inducer wheels... I'm gonna see where my 60mm extended tip CNC titanium (stock Holset) wheel will take me. If it doesn't get me to 500 fuel only then I'll be calling II again. Only thing I worry about it the shaft not being able to take it :poke:

I totally agree that the VGT turbos are the future of diesel motor sports. Heck even with my low budget home built mechanical controller this turbo runs like a raped ape! I would imagine with electronic control to hold it tighter and open it sooner so as not to choke it out those turbos will be absolutely INSANE! Looks like I'm gonna have to find as many of these as I can cheap before people figure out they are worth something. :Cheer:

Tommy is going to have the engine together next week, Greg at ZZ has finished the cylinder heads , and the porting is unreal. Greg has been putting in the extra hours on the flow bench , and conferring with Big Al , on the flow bench. Ill post a few pictures of al’s creations , one day , like a carving a head out of solid cast iron for a inline Chevy six , but that a long story , involving me flying to the GM foundry in Toluca Mexico , and having them cast me a few heads with out ports or water jackets , 300 lbs chuncks of cast iron. This was for a comp engine program, that made about a 100 hp more then any I 6 out there.
I think the numbers were 675 @ 9000 rpms or so on gasoline , all this from a 265 inch engine

Back to the Z28 Tyler and his buddy’s are working hard on getting the car together , and the results are going to be stunning , the 10.5 tire is going to be fun , but I like cars to leave with the wheels 3 feet in the air .

Here is the car getting best engineered at Dallas , and a picture of Big Al and the head .

best-1.jpg

There was a lot of secrecy about this head and motor program, we were accused of running nitrous , and later cleared , but now with the motor sold , a few pictures will not hurt .
that work bench is where Al assembled the splayed valve Chevy V6’s that I ran in comp, as well as the intricate parts of Eddie Hills top fuel dragster program. Al was the Crew Chief on Ed’s program the last year , and has worked behind the scnes for the last 30 years with Eddie

this just to let you know where some of the best DMax engines in the country will be coming from in the future , Al , Tommy and group are gearing up to produce the very best , and from past perfromances , I will tell you that its going to happen

dragsternx053.jpg

notice the black parts under the ports , that is where Al carved a water jacked so to say , the rules are that you could do anything as long as the valve cover rail remained stock
dragsternx055.jpg

Last edited:
here is what they do with a D max head , they want to keep the exact numbers to themselves , but they were all smiles on the flow bench , and this is only the beginning

P1040681.jpg

P1040682.jpg

P1040678.jpg

P1040680.jpg

P1040677.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a peak at the pistons for the NX Mustang , these are Tommy’s design , There are similar pistons coming from J E for the NX dragster .
The rods are due in this week for the Mustang and GRP is close to shipping my new billet Aluminum pieces

Expect big things from this shop, they have meet the mark in innovation from Comp to Top fuel, and now diesel .

P1040668.jpg

P1040669.jpg

Last edited:
the shop is getting a lot of diesel projects now , even a ultra short stroke 6.7 for a 2.8 puller is in the planning stage .

It also looks like plans on a second Drag week project is coming together as well,

from the numbers that the bench is showing , this is one of the best available. Greg at ZZ and Al have really put in the work on these heads , the heads that are going on the dragster are going to go to the next level with wielding on the outside of the ports to straighten the ports and enlarge the pinch area even more .
I think that, as more and more mainstream shops, get in to this diesel exploding market , the innovation will continue to appear. This shop is know for thinking not just outside of the box , but across the room . When you striving for the best , you have to work every angle. I can remember a lot of bench racing , and brain storming , as we drove long distances to, and from the races .

Hey, greg! Excited to see the outcome of this venture. Don't think I've seen you mention it, and that's probably on purpose, but what are you [all] doing about the injection pumps? Just dual cp3.3s like 99.9% of all Dmax builds ( some reason I doubt this is the case;) ) or utilizing a cp3.4 or maybe even two cp3.4s ?!?!?

Also, what's a projected target rpm for running this thing?

I do not believe in dual pumps ! With that said , I have dual pumps on the dragster for a different reason , that are turned much slower , and are really designed for boat endurance racing by Curtis at Performance Diesel research. with the 1500 hp target are just part of the necessary evil.
Dual pumps are a easy fix for poor fuel budgeting IE way to big injection , tuning and such .
I am a total advocate for big modified CP3 pumps with increased displacement based on the factory size pumps. I have made well over 1050 sustained hp with a single Industrial Injection Dragon fire pump. I was the first to use any increased displacement pump on Project X Diesel 4 years ago, and there ability to maintain rail pressure is all that matters .
If you have pressure you have potential fuel to make power .

Now with that said .
I only need a given amount of power to run in the 8’s with this car , that will be achieved with a single Industrial Injection Dragon fire pump, and small injectors . The guys at Dr Performance and their new stand alone computer will give us the ability to tune and use all of the fuel necessary to make the targeted power level with out wasting any on a smoke show .

This is the neat part about these engine transplants , kep it simple , and they will make a killer machine , with a almost stack D max engine a Muscle car can have 600 hp and 1000 PFT and achieve 30 to 40 mpg . No intercooler is necessary if you use a Snow Boost Cooler to drive on , the NX Mustang cruised at 1 psi boost , and if you let the boost get over 10 psi on the street , it was tire smoke city at any thing under 100 mph . when your racing , then you use NX progressive Nitrous to cool the intake charge air

Back