Project Z28 Diesel , Hot Rod Magazine Drag Week 2009

looks like the deal is on , SynDiesel will be providing fuel for all diesel powered entrees during Drag week . We are working on how and where , possibly shipping the drums of fuel to the tracks, but we need a confirmation of how many are Coming to know how much fuel to bring.
If you want to use this great fuel you can call any get fuel is 5 30 and 55 gallon drums this fuel is not diesel fuel with additives , but a true synthetic fuel with 5 % bio diesel added for lubricity . This is the same fuel that is run in the SCCA TDI series and it makes power . 230,000 BTU’s vs. 175,000 top 180,000 for #2 and cetin is close to 70 .
It almost totally eliminates smoke and turns it in to power .

I figured as much, but dang. Maybe he was texting while going down the drag strip in his rail?

I think I'm gonna have to make Drag Week apart of my plans for next year...

I'm excited to see this car when it's done!! Good luck with it all.

Hey Greg, when you were running Project X how did you like those M&H drag radials with the Caltrac's?

they hooked like crazy , I had a few 60 " in the 1.65 range
when I converted to 5 lug , I could not find a 10 wide wheel in time . I know a guy that has a almost new set , with wheels for sale . pm me for his number

Great news about free diesel for the Drag Week circuit, when I heard about it last week... hopefully it'll stick!

We figure the #2 Gratis will cover the entrance fee for another truck, so now we're gonna race the tow beast since it has to haul the drag truck up there anyway... now Steffy & I are fighting over who gets to drive which truck. :kick:

All of the parts are in and its time to start assembling the engine here the engine is being honed with torque plates , something that is critical in making sure the bores are round .

ATT00046.jpg

ATT00059.jpg

Here the key ways are being cut in the crank this fixes the problem of rolling the small key . This is done on the cam as well. All of the MaxSpool Dmax cams have this new key way.

ATT00024.jpg

The Industrial Injection Dragon Fire pump and matching injectors , with the pair of new 62mm VGT turbo’s showed up , sorry no pictures yet , the card crashed .
The engine should be ready to replace the jig motor is the car next week. Mikes NX Mustang 7 liter motor is getting close to being ready for assembly as well, waiting on the new Crower rods . These rods are really going to be neat , with a 1.156 pin and Chrysler hemi rod throw. Tommy worked with Crower on the design of this new rods . This rod reduces weight , on both the rod and the crank. As well as increase the stroke to 4.00 . The reduces wrist pin makes the piston dramatically stronger and this pin is around 125 grams lighter as well.

The J E pistons are due to show up next week for my dragster . Based on A/ Fuel forging these are race only pistons , stronger , and lighter then any D max piston let , I took a lot of talking but J E is jumping in to the diesel market . The rods for this motor will be from GRP

We are taking delivery of another vehicle for even yet another drag week project , more on this as soon as we get the little car in the shop

Oh its getting to look more like a race motor every day , the final home is being placed on the bore , this is critical in sealing in the compression , and making power , you can do every trick in the book to keet the heads on , but if it leaks past the rings then you are losing power making pressure.
P1040726.jpg

So after the block is cleaned 3 times , the engine is on the stand and ready for the crank

P1040718.jpg

Now the bearings are lubed
P1040719.jpg

Here the ARP main stud kit installed

P1040724.jpg

P1040727.jpg

Here is the proper tool to install the rear main seal

P1040738.jpg

Next is degreeing in the MaxSpool cam ,

P1040732.jpg

P1040733.jpg

Last edited:
Here the pistons are loaded on the TTS rods , notice the PolyDyne coatings , the piston valve relief is cut .060 for the 6000 rpm cam profile
P1040723.jpg

P1040720.jpg

P1040721.jpg

Here the pistons are in the block and close to bolting on the heads ,

P1040734.jpg

The Industrial Injection Dragon Fire pump and matching injectors , with the pair of new 62mm VGT turbo’s showed up , sorry no pictures yet , the card crashed .
The engine should be ready to replace the jig motor is the car next week. Mikes NX Mustang 7 liter motor is getting close to being ready for assembly as well, waiting on the new Crower rods . These rods are really going to be neat , with a 1.156 pin and Chrysler hemi rod throw. Tommy worked with Crower on the design of this new rods . This rod reduces weight , on both the rod and the crank. As well as increase the stroke to 4.00 . The reduces wrist pin makes the piston dramatically stronger and this pin is around 125 grams lighter as well.

The J E pistons are due to show up next week for my dragster . Based on A/ Fuel forging these are race only pistons , stronger , and lighter then any D max piston let , I took a lot of talking but J E is jumping in to the diesel market . The rods for this motor will be from GRP

We are taking delivery of another vehicle for even yet another drag week project , more on this as soon as we get the little car in the shop

Are these 62 or 64mm? I think earlier you mentioned 64mm and I'm wondering how big these truly are and how much air they can flow? I'd assume they can flow around 70 lbs per minute but just wonder if you have any specifics.

Nice pictures by the way, keep them coming.

We went with the 62’s to keep it simpler. We are only wanting to make as much power as nessary, to win in the power adder modified class . We need to run 8.90 or so to take that class and do it driving the 1500 mile route.

These are the new MaxSpool dual springs , titanium retainers and custom valves for the Duramax , and the heads assembled
P1040758copy.jpg

P1040751copy.jpg

P1040770copy.jpg

Tyler looks over his new engine , on break from getting the car ready
P1040787.jpg

and the MaxSpool DMax rocker studs

P1040789.jpg

Looking at these pictures makes me miss working in a machine shop. Degreeing my cam brought back lots of memories. Looks like a lot of work with all the fun to go with it. Keep the pictures coming.

Back