Project Z28 Diesel , Hot Rod Magazine Drag Week 2009

I know what you mean, this is the place where I learned my craft in racing . Al and Tommy are hard core engineers in developing engine programs . They are developing the Dmax engine platform . One of the keys aspects , is molding the power output to better fit the intended use. One example is re powers. The Re power movement is going crazy , there are quite a few engine build ups coming in the door

Ive got an original idea- how about running a diesel engine on straight #2 and not off nitrous-every f-tard can make power on a lot of nitrous if they can keep it together. how about going old school for once?

Ive got an original idea- how about running a diesel engine on straight #2 and not off nitrous-every f-tard can make power on a lot of nitrous if they can keep it together. how about going old school for once?

I don't think you can do an old school swap when it involves a Dmax, LOL I understand what you're saying, but why does it matter to you how they make the power?

I don't think you can do an old school swap when it involves a Dmax, LOL I understand what you're saying, but why does it matter to you how they make the power?

x2, how long has nitrous been around??? thats really old school to do it like they did when no naws was around.

^^^ = someone who's had their ass handed to them by a nitrous vehicle. You should just be like the other "f-tards" and just slap some on your truck and get revenge since it's just that easy.

Yeah, easy...go roast a charger in 150 miles and one pass down the strip with a .050 jet and tell me it's easy. Nitrous takes tuning just like anything else to get all you can from it...and sometimes just to make it work.

Chris

Im just sayin schied, enterprise, columbus, ect can all make a badass on #2 and some water to cool it

Im just sayin schied, enterprise, columbus, ect can all make a badass on #2 and some water to cool it

I'm just sayin, think how much MORE power those engine builders could make if they got water off the brain and used nitrous as an intercooler.

I would think driveability has to be quite a bit better on a nitrous engine over a #2 only. Although I guess it doesn't matter that much with the tuning options on a Dmax.

i may be wrong here, but the germans were first spraying nitrous in the fighter planes. so i would say thats real old school.

Are these 62 or 64mm? I think earlier you mentioned 64mm and I'm wondering how big these truly are and how much air they can flow? I'd assume they can flow around 70 lbs per minute but just wonder if you have any specifics.

Nice pictures by the way, keep them coming.

I would hope that they flow more than the 72lbs/min that my stock 60mm wheel will...

Greg, where are the pics of these new turbos? :poke:

I would hope that they flow more than the 72lbs/min that my stock 60mm wheel will...

Greg, where are the pics of these new turbos? :poke:

What 60mm wheel do you have that will flow 72lbs/min? An HX40 with the 6 blade, 60mm wheel only flows 45-50lbs I believe

What 60mm wheel do you have that will flow 72lbs/min? An HX40 with the 6 blade, 60mm wheel only flows 45-50lbs I believe

Direct link to cummins/holset website www.cummins.com/turbos - Holset HE400

Says .54kg/s....
.54 x 2.2 = 1.188 x 60 = 71.28... So apparently I fibbed a little, it's closer to 71 lbs/min.

But who's to say that Holset doesn't list the absolute MAX flow and your numbers are max flow that keeps the turbo in it's map? I don't know because I can't seem to find a map for this HE451VeTi or any of the VGT turbos for that matter... What I do know is that I have a rather nice cnc machined billet titanium compressor wheel that also looks to be an extended tip wheel.

Direct link to cummins/holset website www.cummins.com/turbos - Holset HE400

Says .54kg/s....
.54 x 2.2 = 1.188 x 60 = 71.28... So apparently I fibbed a little, it's closer to 71 lbs/min.

But who's to say that Holset doesn't list the absolute MAX flow and your numbers are max flow that keeps the turbo in it's map? I don't know because I can't seem to find a map for this HE451VeTi or any of the VGT turbos for that matter... What I do know is that I have a rather nice cnc machined billet titanium compressor wheel that also looks to be an extended tip wheel.

Those numbers are general guidlines for the range of airflow available in that frame of turbo. I bet if you looked around, you could find HE400 series turbos with larger compressor wheels around 65mm that will actually flow 71 lbs/min.

That 60mm wheel on your turbo maxes out right at 67 lbs per minute. I have the same compressor wheel on my HE351cw and it really struggles around 500 hp.

A 66mm ETT compressor wheel only flows 75-85 lbs per minute, just depends on the exducer sizer, blade pitch, blade count, hub size, compressor cover, etc.

Here, average the max compressor flow of Forced Induction's latest and greatest 58mm at 62 lbs/min and 62mm at 72 lbs/min.

You come up with 67 lbs/min. Keep in mind that these are the best compressor wheel design that Forced Induction has to offer. These are ETT compressors designed for performance.

Last edited:
And if you want to take the 60mm compressor debate even further, here is a compressor map for the highest flowing aggressive 6 blade HX40 60mm compressor. 910 CFM at standard pressure and 85*F. That calculates out to 66.43 lbs/min.

I'd say that we can state with certainty that a 60mm holset compressor wheel flows right at 67 lbs/min.

Last edited:
Those numbers are general guidlines for the range of airflow available in that frame of turbo. I bet if you looked around, you could find HE400 series turbos with larger compressor wheels around 65mm that will actually flow 71 lbs/min.

That 60mm wheel on your turbo maxes out right at 67 lbs per minute. I have the same compressor wheel on my HE351cw and it really struggles around 500 hp.

A 66mm ETT compressor wheel only flows 75-85 lbs per minute, just depends on the exducer sizer, blade pitch, blade count, hub size, compressor cover, etc.

Good info... Maybe I'll have to keep an eye out for one of those larger wheel/cover combos :D Guess I must admit I never really did my homework huh? :doh: You sure your 351 wheel is a .44 trim? 500 will keep me happy for now anyway, probably just throw an HT3B under there to take a little load of that small shaft in the 451 :rockwoot:

EDIT: My apologies to Greg for the hijack...

Oh its getting to look more like a race motor every day , the final home is being placed on the bore , this is critical in sealing in the compression , and making power , you can do every trick in the book to keet the heads on , but if it leaks past the rings then you are losing power making pressure.
P1040726.jpg

No cross hatch cut on final hone?